276°
Posted 20 hours ago

On Days Like These: The Incredible Autobiography of a Football Legend

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

O’Neill had been a high achiever in Wycombe and Leicester before taking on iconic status for Glasgow’s green half. O’Neil takes us on a journey that includes his childhood, his professional football career and then his professional management history.

Martin O’Neill tries to halt Kevin Keegan (left) during Nottingham Forest’s win over Hamburg in the 1980 European Cup final. This is a tidy little book, it charts the progress of a man who I am sure will be fondly remembered as a football genius by my generation. O’Neill sees the irony, then, in feeling he was an “outsider” or a “northerner” when taking charge of the Republic.It covered his early years as a Roman Catholic growing up in Northern Ireland and following his dream of becoming a professional footballer in England. In his autobiography, On Days Like These, O’Neill tells the story of his extraordinary life for the first time. I was hoping he would take the Sunderland job when he was last in the frame for it because I think he could still make a super manager. If Roy Keane was doing punditry work and said I’d made a mess of something, I might disagree but I would accept it from someone who has played at that level, has managed himself and knows the pressures you are under,” O’Neill says. Definitely a nice read for those who remember his work or appreciate his managerial tact, although it must be said it is not as appreciated now as it should be.

After all, Martin is a man who played alongside George Best at international level and most interesting to me, played for Clough and Taylor. He became Republic of Ireland manager in 2013 and beat reigning world champions Germany in the process of qualifying for the 2016 UEFA European Championship - for only the third time in the nation's history, and the first time they ever made it to the second round.Kilrea’s most famous son and music lover supreme can turn a phrase so well you think there might be a novel in him. Billy Bingham made O’Neill the first Catholic captain of Northern Ireland, which represented a seriously bold move in the early 1980s.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment