276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Wild and Sleepless Nights: THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I really liked the writing style but think it was spoilt a bit by the unnecessary sexual references. The book follows Stroud and her family through a tumultuous year, in which her fifth child, Lester, is born.

Sometimes the novels chosen are new, often they are from the backlist and occasionally re-issued from way back. At times her honesty gives you a jolt of recognition of something you have experienced yourself, and at other times it can be shockingly frank.With rare exceptions such as bank holidays, the book group meets on the first Wednesday of every month at 7. As the mother of 2 teens I was transported back to the wonderful time when both were tiny, whilst also being accompanied through the imperfect attempts at parenting my teens. In her touching, provocative and profoundly insightful book, she captures a sense of what motherhood really feels like - how intense, sensuous, joyful, boring, profound and dark it can be. This is the conversation we should all have about motherhood, it is wild and sleepless but I wouldn't have it any other way. I can see how this book might not be for everyone, but by writing this brave, open memoir Clover Stroud gives a gift to other women, and lays a path for more of us to do the same.

Her own mother was brain damaged in a horrific riding accident when Stroud was 16: “Much of my life has been about seeking strong motion both to make me feel alive and distract from the pain of existence. I felt guilty for the same things Stroud felt guilty for, including her relationship with her teenage son despite the fact that I do not have one! Even as she’s bracingly direct about the frustrations of motherhood, Stroud also revels in the delights. When someone gives her new baby a stuffed toy monkey, she longs to surround him with more ancient and serious things: the Bible, The Complete Works of Shakespeare. There are no pastel colours here; Stroud’s mother-love is “as raw and rare as cutting through the soft dark crimson of uncooked liver”.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it to anyone else who loves reading about motherhood or who is already mother and wants to read about someone else's journey!

as a busy mum myself I prefer to read something that overall lifts my mood and reminds me, overall, how really really lucky I am to be a mum. Although I’m over that now, I am wondering if, at the age of 49, I still have time to have another 3 children. She has an amazing way with words, and she is right that many parenting books deal with pregnancy and the early years and don’t look at what happens after that, what you might honestly feel as a mum, and how extreme the highs and lows of parenting can be.Clover describes the bliss of being a new mother and the complete immersion you have whilst parenting young children through to navigating the way your relationship changes once your children grow through their teen years, ready to leave the nest.

And it details how Clover, the mother of five children aged from one to seventeen, has navigated motherhood across two decades, both losing and finding herself. Reading this is like repeatedly gulping down the bright orange smoothies her children love: sharp, refreshing, sloshing, delicious, and entirely without pause. Autorka měla první dítě v 16 a až když se dostala na počet pět dětí, řekla si "stačí a teď se budu věnovat sobě".Just as being fucked so hard it hurts can feel good, this pain becomes something I recognise as clearly as I know myself. It is a highly personal and brave book, a look right inside their life and what it is really like to be a mother of a big family. As a mum of six I’m deeply grateful to read Clover’s book, putting into words the vast roller coaster of emotions that mothering can bring. Eleanor Mills in the Sunday Times Mother to five children, Clover Stroud has navigated family life across two decades, both losing and finding herself.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment