276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Paula

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The landscape of the time and place in South Dakota are so well described, I felt like I was there. There are glimpses, too of the Native Americans of the area, a little of the history. This is such a sad story and I found it difficult to read at times . Yet, there are brief moments of caring and love in this family. For me these moments were overshadowed by the damage done, an uneven dichotomy. A well written debut novel, that in spite of the sadness, will have me watching for what Paula Saunders will do in the future. Parineeti Chopra's The Girl on The Train to release on Netflix on Feb 26". India Today. 13 January 2021 . Retrieved 13 June 2021. I loved the characters in this book. There were some pretty big developments for Xanthe in her personal life in this story and I loved seeing how supportive everyone in her life turned out to be. I found the characters in the past to be just as likable and I found myself hoping that Xanthe would be able to help their situation. I loved getting to know Xanthe better as she learned more about her abilities. A stage adaptation of the novel by Rachel Wagstaff and Duncan Abel made its world premiere in The Courtyard Theatre at the West Yorkshire Playhouse from 12 May to 9 June 2018. It stars Jill Halfpenny as Rachel Watson and is directed by Joe Murphy. [44] once again, Allende's writing style enthralls me with her moving story about joy, sadness, deceit, but most of all, love. Her powerful beliefs in the magical and spiritual realms shine through;

Escalating tension erupts when Eve enters Leon in tap and then ballet lessons. This is 1960 South Dakota cattle country, and Al is disgusted with his son dancing ballet. His bruising taunts toward Leon over his dance lessons were harrowing at times for this reader. Leon paid such a terrible cost as his life went off the rails. This novel laid bare a dysfunctional family and its impact on each of the separate members. Feldman, Lucy (10 October 2016). "What Paula Hawkins Thinks of 'The Girl on the Train' Movie". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 27 July 2022. 'Of course I was nervous,' says Paula Hawkins, author of 'The Girl on the Train', which has sold more than 20 million copies around the world.' Uncomfortable Attitudes – This isn’t exactly something that didn’t work, in fact it was key to the story, but it made me uncomfortable and may be a trigger to some. A factor of the times, both Al and Eve had very harsh things to say about their Native American neighbors. Prejudice wrapped in fiction doesn’t typically bother me, but here I squirmed. Not yet a teen, René witnessed a horrific family event, and blamed not the perpetrator, but the silent witness. I loved how René’s conflicted feelings served to dramatically shift the trajectory of her life. The Sadness that springs from a mother losing her daughter, Fathers and Mothers shouldn't bury their children, but it happens way too often...

Listen to Paula Hawkins on the Penguin Podcast

Pulver, Andrew (13 July 2015). " 'The Girl on the Train' film to be set in US not UK". The Guardian. even though I was moved by Allende's intense love and heart-wrenching goodbye to her daughter, Paula's husband, Ernesto's grief was palpably heartbreaking for me. Note: I received a copy of this book from Random House (via NetGalley) in exchange for my honest review. Many thanks!

The story is a first-person narrative told from the point of view of three women: Rachel Watson, Anna Boyd/Watson, and Megan Hipwell.

This third in series book, stands well enough on its own. However, there are a few tantalizing references to the first and second which encourages the reader to explore the earlier installments of this series. I eagerly await the next installment in this grand and adventurous series. The novel opens with grown daughters Rene and Jayne, and their very different reactions to their mother, Eve’s, recent death. Why such stark contrast? What went on in that family? Well, the next chapter starts that story which makes up this novel. Overall, The Distance Home is a story about what could be anyone’s family. It is at times funny while equally tragic, and although there is intense tumult in this family, there is also love, and in striking that shifty, shaky balance, there is honesty in this portrayal. Whenever a man “liked” Pym, and they often did, she decided they were boring and ran in the other direction. Perhaps this was because, as Dulcie Mainwaring, the heroine of No Fond Return of Loveputs it, “It seemed […] so much safer and more comfortable to live in the lives of other people – to observe their joys and sorrows with detachment as if one were watching a film or play.” Or, as Pym herself confided to a friend when in her late 40s, “I love Bob, I love Richard, I love Rice Krispies … perhaps it is better in the end just to love Rice Krispies.” The drink is only part of it. She's coped well with the drink. She wants a drink. She doesn't want a drink. She doesn't want a drink. She fights it. She wins. She's proud of that. She's pleased. She'll keep going. She knows she will."

She meets a man at a bottle depository. They start a tentative relationship. He’s a bit strange, and Paula struggles with being with him, as she (understandably) struggles with everything.This is one series you definitely want to start at the beginning with as it references things and characters in the previous books. Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review. What a mistake I made with this one. I read that the author is Paula Saunders and silly me only registered the first name. I accepted this ARC thinking I was going to read a new Paula McLain novel, an author that I admire. It just took me a few paragraphs to realize my mistake. I’d say that I made a beginner reviewer’s mistake, but unfortunately, I am not a beginner anymore in this craft. Live and learn. stars: Set in 1960’s South Dakota, “The Distance Home” is a meditative novel about a dysfunctional marriage and the affects of that marriage on the children. The story is told in three parts; the first part opens with the end of the story: two sisters dealing with the death of their mother. Their father and brother had already passed and it is just the two girls. Each handled the death differently.

On 24 April 2019 it was announced an Indian adaptation of the book was in the works, starring Parineeti Chopra. [40] The film was directed by Ribhu Dasgupta and produced under the banner of Reliance Entertainment. Principal photography began in early August 2019 in London. [41] Unlike the 2016 American adaptation, the Indian adaptation retained the book's original UK setting, but changed the majority of the character to Non-Resident Indians. The film's original release date of 8 May 2020 was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. [42] The film was eventually released on 26 February 2021 on Netflix. [43] Stage adaptation [ edit ] It is then that a beautiful antique wedding dress sings to her. Realizing the dress and her adversary are connected in some way, she answers the call. She finds herself in Bradford-on-Avon in 1815, as if she has stepped into a Jane Austen story.

Publication Order of Paula Standalone Novels

The Distance Home by Paula Saunders is a very highly recommended family drama which is beautifully written while brilliantly depicting a highly dysfunctional post World War II family living in West River South Dakota.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment