276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Fairytale Hairdresser and Snow White: 4 (The Fairytale Hairdresser, 4)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Red Riding Hood knows her Granny is sure to win first prize - she makes the best cakes - but when Kittie and Red visit her cottage, Granny and her cakes are nowhere to be seen! And there is a mysterious paw-shaped footprint on the ground. A clue! Kittie and Red decide to investigate . . .

Until I thought that she would need some sort of hairdresser utility belt to hold all of her tools in. Surprisingly enjoyable, this is a magical post-feminist fairy tale with a brave modern heroine, where roles are not entirely as you might expect them to be. And it's a lovely, fun way to enable children of about 4-6 years to spot traditional fairytale themes. My local library obtained a copy of this book when I asked them. Little did they know that its first enthusiastic reader would be someone ... just a little older than the target audience. The Fairytale Hairdresser and the Little Mermaid, published in 2015, is the sixth story in the enjoyable series of picture books about Kittie Lacey, the Fairytale Hairdresser. It is written in a lively style by Abie Longstaff, and beautifully illustrated by Lauren Beard. The series features regular characters such as Cinderella, Rapunzel, Princess Rose, Snow White, Clara the ballerina and the Sugar Plum Fairy. World Book Day is a perfect fit for Heritage, celebrating what we love best : books! Most of the pupils and staff arrived dressed as their favourite character from a favourite book and the day got started with a book themed assembly for Infants and Juniors, providing an opportunity for everyone to parade their costumes! A Where’s Wally quiz ran throughout the day and the whole school stopping what they were doing at 11am to read / look at a book quietly. Book activities were undertaken throughout the day including mask making for UP tying in with Where the Wild Things Are, spider cobweb weaving for Year 2 tying into Charlotte’s Web, baking gingerbread men for Year 3 tying in with The Gingerbread Man whilst Year 4 had fun making Kitty Lacey books linking to Kitty Lacey.Does your little girl (or little boy) unerringly gravitate towards all things pink and sparkly? Does steering them gently towards gender-neutral material meet with a luke-warm reaction? Then with books of this quality, perhaps you should just give in to the inevitable. The Queen of Hearts is hosting a baking competition and Fairyland is buzzing with excitement! From Rapunzel to the Three Bears, absolutely everyone is busy baking tasty treats and Kittie is just as busy helping her clients look their best for the big event. There are plenty of references to known fairytale stories. Thus they are enjoyable both for young children and for the adults who read along with them. Adults will also enjoy the detail in the illustrations, and the insertion of tiny recognisable elements, (for example, a recurring owl, pussycat and pea-green boat) which do not feature in the story.

To finish sew the bias binding to the top making sure you leave enough either end so it can be comfortably tied up.Years 4, 5 and 6 worked in groups to plan a persuasive talk about a book they would like for the library. Each talk was then presented to Mrs Pilkington and the class, and a vote was taken to choose the favourite. Year 4 chose Gold of the Gods by Bear Grylls, Year 5’s result was a draw (so they got both) First Class Murder by Robin Stevens and Cruel Kings and Mean Queens by Terry Deary. Year 6 overwhelmingly voted for The Shapeshifter Series by Ali Sparkes. All titles have now been added to the library – which is also now adorned with book bunting made by Year 3, with 10 word stories and pictures. Of course all is well now they are married, which makes me question what message am I giving my child. Why would any of these princess’ want a career or anything like that? (This why I prefer the book Interstellar Cinderella which is much better, she just wants to be a mechanic and refuses the princes proposal preferring to be head mechanic, it is brilliant).It is targeted at 4-6 year olds so I suppose I’m not the right kind of audience.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment