276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This sounds uplifting and just excellent. I’m going to look for it on audio since that’s how I enjoy reading non-fiction most. Thanks for the rec! When 38 jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land at Gander International Airport in Canada by the closing of U.S. airspace on September 11, the population of this small town on Newfoundland Island swelled from 10,300 to nearly 17,000. The citizens of Gander met the stranded passengers with an overwhelming display of friendship and goodwill.

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland

I had looked forward to this, having read the book "The Day the World Came to Town", which is a gripping account of what happened in Gander, Newfoundland when all those diverted planes came in to land on 9/11 with their nearly 7,000 passengers and how all were made to feel welcome and accommodated. All the news coverage repeatedly showing the nightmare of 9-11 and not once did I see or remember anything about Gander and "the nicest people in the world." If you must be stranded somewhere, Gander is the place to be. Where in the world is Gander, Newfoundland? Thirty-eight planes landed there on September 11, depositing 6, 595 passengers and crew members in a town whose poplation is barely 10,000.

Plot: What's the story about?

Lorne Manly (16 February 2016). " 'Come From Away,' a Sept. 11 Musical, Is Coming to Broadway". The New York Times . Retrieved 25 January 2021.

The Day the World Came to Town Updated Edition - Waterstones

When thirty-eight jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land in Gander, Newfoundland, on September 11, 2001, due to the closing of United States airspace, the citizens of this small community were called upon to come to the aid of more than six thousand displaced travelers.It is an easy read, it only took me a couple of days to whip through it. But, you will be left thinking about these lives that were affected. When the entire North American airspace was shutdown that morning, all inbound flights were diverted to various locations in Canada. Thirty eight civilian planes and four military flights ended up at Gander International Airport which had, in the days before jet planes, been an essential aviation hub.

IMDb Diverted (TV Movie 2009) - IMDb

David Suchet portrays the role of Samuel Stern with such conviction that you have no choice but to go through his emotional journey with him. Joanne Whalley played her role with a lot passion and understanding. Lisa Repo-Martell gave one of the most memorable performances during the film with lots of control and presence. One of the most interesting subplots was the story of Jamal Hassani, played by Anousha Alamian and his struggle as a minority, which felt real and honest and gave the film such humanity, that it was thrilling to watch. Coming from an environment as cutthroat as the fashion industry, Baldessarini realized this was not a feeling to ignore or casually dismiss. This was somehting to be relished. And given everything that was going wrong in the world, it was reassuring to see that right now, right here, in one small corner of the planet, something was going right.” In The Day The World Came To Town, Defede introduces us to many the local people who, for the next six days, housed, fed and entertained their unexpected visitors. In extraordinary acts of kindness, they emptied their linen cupboards of spare sheets and towels, offered their showers and their cars to strangers, providing them with practical help and emotional support. Clark and Roxanne Loper of Alto, Texas had traveled to Almaty, Kazakhstan to adopt a two year old girl named Alexandria. Their travels took them away from their one year old named Samantha, also adopted from Kazakhstan, for nearly three weeks. Gander residents went out of their way to make sure that the Lopers and two other families on the way home from adopting children had everything they needed for the week, especially as these children had to adapt to new surroundings.I read this book because we are going to see the play Come From Away in a couple of weeks in Chicago. This book gives context to the play. At times it felt like I was reliving 9/11. It has a vey emotional impact at times. Now, this is where it gets a bit eerie. Every year for Christmas, my in-laws give us a subscription to the Broadway series – a series of shows that are travelling around the United States straight off Broadway. Usually there is one big anchor show for the subscription (this year it is Hamilton), maybe a classic or two (this year its Cats), but there are always one or two lesser known, more obscure shows. The day after the discussion with my wife about the city in Canada, I was looking through the description of one of the shows I had never heard of: Newfoundland’s own brand of music from groups such as Great Big Sea, the Ennis Sisters, and Buddy Wassisname.” I enjoyed this made-for-TV movie. Its along the lines of something from Lifetime but is actually a CBC (Canadian) production. There's nothing fancy here but it's still a heartwarming story as the viewer follows various story lines about the passengers and friendships developed over a 4 day period (starting on September 11th, 2001) when 38 planes headed to New York were diverted to Gander Newfoundland, Canada. A town of 9,000 which took in 7,000 passengers until American airspace reopened. die Vorgänge in Gander, Neufundland, hatte ich bereits kurz nach den Anschlägen einiges gelesen. Als Fluzeugenthusiast war mir nicht entgangen, dass die Lufthansa damals einen Airbus auf den Namen "Gander-Halifax" taufte, zu Ehren der beispiellosen Hilfsbereitschaft der Anwohner vor Ort. Mehr als zehn Jahre später stieß ich durch einen Blogeintrag auf das Buch von Jim DeFede und habe es gleich bestellt.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment