276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Operation: Mindcrime

£3.05£6.10Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Throughout the album, I underwent one of the deepest "thinking sessions" in my life, as a result of what I heard. Literally, every single song is a masterpiece, and is written on the absolute highest level of musicianship. There are slightly heavier, more traditional heavy metal songs, such as "Operation Mindcrime", "Spreading the Disease", "I Don't Believe in Love", and more experimental and story-driven songs, like "Suite Sister Mary" and "Eyes of a Stranger". The disc goes through every color of the rainbow that's inside the topic of the album, and there would not have been a better way to pull the songs off. Seriously, every emotion, every change, every mood, every detail is perfectly and beautifully covered in the songs. The year is 1988. Ronald Reagan is in the last years of his presidency and the Cold War is nearing its conclusion. Despite rebounding from a severe recession through "Reaganomics", there is still a considerable gap between the rich and poor. Though the Soviet threat seems done for, scandals such as the Iran-Contra Affair have only exacerbated the American public's anger and mistrustfulness of the central government and its leader. Coupled with increased crime stemming from the war on drugs, many Americans are rightfully pissed. With one album, Queensryche encompasses and captures all of these feelings and concepts with the story of a drug-addicted revolutionary part of a conspiracy to clean America of corruption and deceit. Operation: Mindcrime succeeds in not only becoming Queensryche's crowning achievement and a cornerstone in the progressive metal genre, but it may very well be the greatest concept album of all time.

Speaking of sets, the album’s concept of the trigger-happy junkie who loses his way is one that cannot be ignored. While the Manchurian Candidate meets Romeo And Juliet plot may seem simplistic at times, the themes of individual songs are what truly sell it as each one has its own things to say about the needs for social revolution, political and religious corruption, drugs, and relationships. You may not be asking yourself who killed Mary at the album’s end but you may find yourself quoting the political rhetoric on “Speak” and “Spreading The Disease” from time to time…Geoff Tate: 'A New Reality' Is Operation: Mindcrime's Last Album". Loudwire. November 27, 2017 . Retrieved February 20, 2018. Operation: Mindcrime in 1988 that they truly proved how wrong early assumptions were of this Seattle Metal band. I suggest all of you who haven't heard it to hear it, because if you don't, you really are missing out on one of the greatest records, ever.

Nikki lands himself in trouble with the law once again. During his trial, his pleas for mercy and leniency are lost on a judge and jury still remembering his past crimes. This only deepens his disdain for the world around him, with Nikki mulling over the government, the legal system, and Dr. X as he blames all three for all of his problems. After Nikki escapes and finds himself yet again on the run, his own need for revenge coupled by a vision of Mary's ghost (it is initially unclear if this spectre actually exists or is merely a product of Nikki's mind breaking with reality) turns his thoughts toward killing Dr. X.The song " I Don't Believe in Love" was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1990 in the category " Best Metal Performance". [22] Operation: Mindcrime was Queensrÿche's breakthrough album, reaching number 50 on the Billboard 200 while its singles " Eyes of a Stranger" and " I Don't Believe in Love" served as the band's first charting hits in the United States. [7] [8] The album was certified by the RIAA as gold in early 1989, and was certified as platinum two years later. [9] A sequel, Operation: Mindcrime II, was released on April 4, 2006. Queensrÿche performed the album in front of screens that were 18 feet high and 24 feet wide, with movie-quality film sequences projected behind them.

About the group, Tate has said, "It is so refreshing to be able to concentrate on the many stories and ideas that I have been working on with no boundaries or restrictions." He's also remarked, "I think fans will continue to enjoy the music we create and perform together and hope they share this new musical journey with us." Pamela Moore, who had come to Chris DeGarmo’s attention via a local radio commercial, took on the Sister Mary role for the album and tour, and still sometimes makes the occasional appearance with the band. Three shows they played in Madison, Wisconsin, were filmed by Wayne Isham and a team that included director/lighting designer Howard Ungerleider, who had worked for the previous 17 years with Rush, as well as with Def Leppard. NB: Let’s get this out of way up front. The Hawk’s keyboard does not feature a ‘y’ with an umlaut over the top, and he can’t be bothered to look for one. Therefore all articles about Queensryche on here will feature only the regular ‘y’ instead. The umlaut feels a bit stupid anyway – there, I’ve said it.)

Follow Us

Then Suite Sister Mary happens, and I honestly get jitters throughout the thing, both musically and due to the lyrical interplay between the two lead characters. After that, it's basically just excellence-ville throughout -- brilliant songs stitched together with perfectly mood-setting story-relating interludes of varying musical value. Needle Lies is verging on thrash metal speed, with heart-breaking lyrics about the desperation of drug addiction (something that, if you've personally experienced it, might get you to shed a tear... and this is a very fast song, mind). Then we get the trio of brilliant mid-tempo singles -- Breaking The Silence, I Don't Believe In Love, Eyes Of A Stranger. It's a bleak trio lyrically but musically basically an aural orgasm, with restrained riffing, blazing leads, deep bass, and perfectly enunciated verses with soaringly catchy choruses.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment