276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Retreat: The new top ten Sunday Times bestseller from the author of The Sanatorium (Detective Elin Warner Series Book 2)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This clever, compelling thriller deserves to be a bestseller and marks out Sarah Pearse as one to watch.

One day, while going through a piece in a local magazine in Switzerland about the history of sanatoriums present in that area, she realized that she has found the spark of the notion that would serve as the theme of her debut book. The Retreat is the kind of creepy, atmospheric thriller that burrows deep beneath your skin until the chilling climax.Hana reads Jo’s text messages and finds a message from Bea to Jo saying that Jo has to tell Hana something.

Elin suggests that maybe Porter’s bad investment prevented him from putting forth a SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) development plan for the island. Farrah doesn’t know who the victim is but says she suspects the person must have fallen from the yoga pavilion to the rocks below. CCTV shows that it was likely accidental, but the more Elin investigates, the less sure she is that it wasn’t murder. Overall though this is a really good book, not one that you know who had done it from the first page which was so good. Brooks is a pro at building suspense even if it plays out in some rather spectacularly yucky episodes, one involving a short spear that takes its name from “the sucking sound of pulling it out of the dead man’s heart and lungs.Pearse cleverly develops intrigue and ramps up the tension relentlessly as the stakes become deadly. The Retreat is a heart-pounding, adrenaline-soaked thrill ride, packed with well-drawn characters, settings so real you could touch them, and cliffhangers and twists as belly-flipping as a dive off the fictional island’s Reaper’s Rock. No one understands why Bea was on Carey Island when she was supposed to be on a business trip to the US. Elin Warner knew that something sinister was going to happen as the hotel gave her a bad impression throughout the engagement party last night. He suggests that Farrah cares about him because she lied for him, but Elin only cares about her job.

Despite the fine dining, upscale accommodations, and amenities like yoga and kayaking, an old series of murders haunts the island, now rumored to be cursed. The book mentions that Zimmerman used to be a PE teacher, and when he saw Bea’s body, his reaction was violently vomiting all over the crime scene; this doesn’t fit with someone who is accused of tying two girls to a motorboat propellor. She is expected to start working on her next novel soon and release it for her fans to read and cherish. This book is brilliant, the storyline was brilliant and fast paced, I really didn't have a clue who the killer was, it was addictive, I read it really quickly and I would definitely recommend it to others. Many critics believe that a new gem has arrived in the publishing world in the form of Pearse and they look forward to reading many more of her exciting works.We have the island, with the creepy reaper school AND the Outward Bound murders, which got confusing to me. Bea’s unexpected arrival on the island is explained away as her trying to surprise the group, but it’s made very clear is that is NOT in keeping with Bea’s character.

Also agree that Will is hiding something, although I’m not sure that he is the one sending the pictures. I definitely see some Christie influences, like a character who is not who they seem to be, and a character who sneakily hides their crime amidst some other chaos. The artist that did the piece in reception told me he went to the old school here, the one that burned down. Elin speaks to the assembled Lumen guests but can’t give them information and leaves them angry and worried.She says Caleb/Chris was the camp leader when she and Will were on the island but she didn’t recognize him.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment