276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry: Essays on the Universe and Our Place Within It

£6.995£13.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Who can ask for better cosmic tour guides to the universe than Drs. Tyson and Goldsmith?”—Michio Kaku, author of Hyperspace and Parallel Worlds Hayden Planetarium (2018). "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry". INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS SINCE 1923. W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.

Even after it was conclusively proven that the Earth is not the center of the Universe, philosophers still believed in some divine presence, because some of the planets’ motions were inexplicable. Forget about this being a book for people in a ”hurry”, this is complicated stuff. Don’t be in too much of a hurry, take your time when reading this. So, to continue the themes of topsy turvy thinking, upside down confusion and downright blatant ignorance – I will start my review by describing the end of the book. If you ask us, the most important chapter of this whole book – the culmination to which all other chapters build to – is the last one, “Reflections on the Cosmic Perspective.” Imagine you are standing with your face up and your mouth wide open underneath a waterfall of Skittles.This is an essential guide for all those interested in learning more about astrophysics, providing insight into some of the most important topics within the field." If a huge genetic gap separated us from our closest relative in the animal kingdom, we could justifiably celebrate our brilliance. We might be entitled to walk around thinking we’re distant and distinct from our fellow creatures. But no such gap exists. Instead, we are one with the rest of nature, fitting neither above nor below, but within.” The cosmic perspective comes from the frontiers of science, yet it is not solely the provenance of the scientist. It belongs to everyone.

Probably the scene with the whipped cream in the coffee shop. Don't argue with Neil deGrasse Tyson about physics, he will win. At least once a week, if not once a day, we might each ponder what cosmic truths lie undiscovered before us, perhaps awaiting the arrival of a clever thinker, an ingenious experiment, or an innovative space mission to reveal them. We might further ponder how those discoveries may one day transform life on Earth. During our brief stay on planet Earth, we owe ourselves and our descendants the opportunity to explore,” he writes, in part because it’s fun, but also because it’s critical to our future. he [deGrasse Tyson] somehow reveals a path through complex thought and theory in astrophysics for the reader, depositing enough detail to ponder upon, imploring us to consider possible answers to these confounding questions for ourselves." — The 12 Books of Christmas 2017, Sky at Night The final chapter Reflections on the cosmic perspective, I found to be utterly profound. After all was said and done in the previous chapters it’s important we think what this is all about. Tyson describes a study were subjects felt ‘insignificant’ when being taught about the universe. A feeling I am sure we have all felt when trying to grapple with such weighty matters. Some of us (me included) have felt the same when pondering the very small world of quantum physics – tiny, tiny particles zipping around sub-atomic space. However, Tyson makes the point to feel inadequate and feel miserable about it, is a measure of our ego. Humankind is such a minuscule part of this wonderful universe; we are no more significant or less significant then all the creatures who live and who have ever lived (Oh my – I love that!!).

Ebook

The cosmic perspective opens our eyes to the universe, not as a benevolent cradle designed to nurture life but as a cold, lonely, hazardous place, forcing us to reassess the value of all humans to one another. We are very much a part of this world, Solar System, Galaxy and Universe/s - but we’re not in charge of it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment