276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Finding Bear: An irresistible animal adventure – the unmissable follow-up to the award-winning THE LAST BEAR

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives. Yourself and Bob are much cherished in our booky world and I personally really appreciate everything that you do.

April and her Dad make a fantastic team and although they have their differences, it was nice to see how they interact with each other as the book progresses. Now, when I read The Last Bear by Hannah Gold I thought it was pretty close to perfection and would be impossible to beat. The Lost Bear stole a piece of my heart, and Finding Bear has stolen another piece - Hannah has a magical way with words, of telling stories of enduring friendships and of raising awareness about what part we play in changing the world we live in.Hannah's story of Bear and his love for his cub made me unable to put this down (and I'm not a speed reader! So begins an amazing story of discovery and survival as she battles the elements in the forbidding Arctic environment. She gets picked up by a woman who clearly lives there; she makes it quite clear Ashe thinks April is stupid!

There are family dynamics as April uncovers her real emotions about Maria arriving in her Dad’s life, the sense of loneliness and the need to belong arises out of April’s difference from her fellow pupils, and the realisation of what creates abiding and enduring love at all levels permeates the entire story, especially through April’s relationship with Bear. When April hears that a polar bear has been shot and injured in Svalbard, she's convinced it's her friend and persuades her dad to travel with her to the northernmost reaches of the Arctic. I also loved how the book is making its readers aware of climate change and the effects that is has on our world and it’s wildlife.The environment and weather is harsh and forbidding and April then discovers something much more than she was expecting – a tiny polar bear cub. I haven’t read book one in this series but knew the basic premise of it and do intend to read it also.

This is a rip- roaring tale ( no pun intended as Bear certainly roars a lot) and will be an exciting read for the 8 plus group. When news reaches her that a bear has been shot near Svalbard, April is sure that it is her bear and will not let anything, not even the many miles between them, stop her from saving him. The reader, while being so wrapped up in April’s emotions and the dramatic action, is also inescapably learning about the impact of climate change on this special environment and the responsibility we all have to protect it. For all ebook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing HarperCollins username and password. Maybe I'm biased because the stories take place in Norway but The Last Bear and Finding Bear are the best books to teach children (and adults) about friendship, love, and climate change.April runs from the Polar Institute in alarm when the man says they shouldn't go looking for an injured polar bear, who probably won't remember her, even if she is THE April Wood! Convinced that it has to be her friend she convinces her father to travel with her to the most northern parts of the Arctic.

On winning the Best Story in the Blue Peter Book Awards 2022, Hannah said: 'When I found out I had won, I burst into tears and couldn't speak.With global warming and similar issues being so prominent these days, I love that Finding Bear had so much information about it and how April always found ways to make a difference, no matter how small. Finding Bear is a shining beacon of hope, love and friendship in a world where such values can be sorely missed. It’s the kind of book that touches a reader – heart and soul – regardless of their age, experience or interests. I decided to pick it up as I loved the last bear, this book definitely needs to be read before hand.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment