276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Moving: The Richard & Judy bestseller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The title refers to both the physical act of moving home that Edwina is to undertake but also to emotional moving on of memories that each character goes through.

Moving by Jenny Eclair | Goodreads Moving by Jenny Eclair | Goodreads

In the first case, it was because her portrayal of Edwina for the first third was wonderful and detailed.As Charlie leads a life of hedonism and idleness in 1980s Manchester, his almost inevitable decline is captured by his on – off girlfriend Fern. The author emphasises the changing attitudes typical of the eighties, chiefly attitudes towards homosexuality. Conversely, some of the book is more down-to-earth and set in the slightly less glamorous city of Manchester in grubby student digs. Eventually the setting moves back in time and away from the house, as the story is narrated in several voices, each with a unique perspective. Namely placing themselves as the main character in their story, or by writing in the stand-up voice which is the reason I struggled with Dawn French’s books.

Moving by Jenny Eclair | Goodreads

The story really begins to turn full circle, and all the family secrets and lies will be resolved one way or another ending back with Edwina in a coda. As she leads the estate agent through each room her story opens up, showing that the frail old woman that the reader first meets has lived a vibrant, complex life full of love and difficulty. She's selling the house that was a witness to so many events, and we learn about her life - starting when she entered the house as a pregnant newlywed, through losing her first husband, raising her children, having second husband, working.I probably chose this book because as a listener to the Older and Wider podcast, more than anything else, I was curious about the author, Jenny Eclair. I was so deep into Edwina's story that changing it to Fern's felt very abrupt and felt not as a next part, but as if a new book was starting, but soon this feeling was forgotten and I was back on track.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment