276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Two Storm Wood: Uncover an unsettling mystery of World War One in the The Times Thriller of the Year

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As the clear up of the front continues and the fallen are located and shown the respect they deserve the discovery of the Two Storm Wood massacre sends a shiver through the army.

I found myself picturing how I would act and be there, in those situations, and truly I could never picture the 40 year old me doing what Amy does.In this poignant, intricately plotted novel, Gray succeeds in entwining two powerful tales—a love story and a hate story—in a way that, right from the shocking start, is both convincing and enthralling. Two Storm Wood has the literary class, intellectual depth, and thriller pacing of Robert Harris at his best - with an added spine-tingling aura of menace worthy of Stephen King. The writing is superb – shades of Hollinghurst and Pat Barker combine in a taut, finely plotted mystery. She too must confront the unspeakable horrors of war that have scared everyone directly or indirectly involved.

I found myself caring for every single character, whether they were playing a bit part or at the very centre of all the intrigue, although Amy, the little mouse who reveals her inner lioness, is the star. Once started this book was compulsive reading; a drama and unfolding mystery you need to resolve and understand.She’s always very aware of the social mores of her time, even when she decides to go against them – or at least to bend them. WWI was a terrible cultural shock for the people who lived through it, and this novel manages to get the feel through beautifully. The haunting way in which this is described meant I could actually feel the eyes of the dead on me while reading, and that takes a lot for me to feel something like that, and you know it’s a great book when this happens. The characters are well drawn and Amy Vanneck is as brave as any of the men defending their trenches.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment