276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Fast Diet: Revised and Updated: Lose weight, stay healthy, live longer

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I'm a total convert to intermittent fasting. I can't really call it a diet. It's more like a lifestyle change. I plan to do it for the rest of my life. I started it seven weeks ago and have dropped 6+ pounds. In that time I've eaten goodies like molten chocolate cake, cheesecake, apple crisp, & my favorite burger & fries, to name a few. (Those weren't the norm, I mostly chose very healthy foods, but just giving examples of things I still got to enjoy! Basically anything.) Hm, seems as if I have become a food blogger without even recognizing it. Sponsor link of food product still to add.

The Fast 800 Recipe Book: Low-carb, Mediterranean style The Fast 800 Recipe Book: Low-carb, Mediterranean style

Becoming disillusioned by psychiatry, Mosley upon graduation joined a trainee assistant producer scheme at the BBC in 1985. Approaches to intermittent fasting are totally varied. Mosley uses the 5:2 approach. The beauty is that you can tailor it to your lifestyle. Don't fast on the weekends or on vacation or business lunches. Fast for fewer days if you are at your target weight, work in a few more days if you are obese. The diet and book are both based on personal experiences of doctor and science journalist, Michael Mosley. He produced a BBC documentary titled Eat, Fast and Live Longer, which prompted our interest in the diet. The diet is relatively easy to follow and effective. Unfortunately, the book makes it sound much more complicated than it is. (Short review: skip the book; watch the documentary). I agree with the philosophy and practices in this book. Makes good sense. I've followed it many times.

It does advise that Type 1 diabetics (I am one) should not do intermittent fasting but as I use an insulin pump rather than injections I can get away with it. I have only done one day so far to see how it would affect my blood sugars. I managed to keep them very steady until last thing before bed when they dipped too low and I ended up eating some biscuits. But I shall persevere! The easy ones are to weight yourself and measure things like your waist, chest, hips. Some weighing machines will also give you an estimate of your body fat The only nutrition guide I have read so far and, in my opinion, the only one one needs to stay slim and healthy. Probably mixed with the steadily actualized tips on diets by the World Health Organization, nutritionists, health experts and doctors including individual factors as age, gender and general state of health.

The FastDiet Cookbook: 150 Delicious, Calorie-Controlled The FastDiet Cookbook: 150 Delicious, Calorie-Controlled

Now I must confess that I tweaked the system to speed up the weight loss. First, on the fast days I only eat between 50 to 200 calories (not the 600 allowed for men). I also do heavy cardio on the fast days (sometimes up to two hours) and lighter cardio on my feast days. Now that I am at my ideal weight I'll probably lighten up the workouts and eat the full 600 calories on the fast days (or only fast once a week). Losing weight this fast is probably not safe or healthy, but it's what I did. I think that following the diet more strictly would also have brought results, just slower. I am very interested in intermittent fasting. I am not interested in losing weight. The things I'm interested in are the better health outcomes. I hear tales of fasting people feeling better -- having more energy, being more in tune with their bodies, getting better results on bloodwork, living longer, getting cancer less. All of these things were referred to in the book as "secondary" benefits of fasting. That got my goat -- my smallest, my littlest Billy Goat Gruff. Eating two or three meals per day, whichever best suits your lifestyle. Read more about the benefits of two meals a day here. Estruch, R., Ros, E., Salas-Salvadó, J., et al. (2013) Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with a Mediterranean Diet Supplemented with Extra-Virgin Olive Oil or Nuts. N Eng J Med, 378, e34. Follow for up to 12 weeks before transitioning to a longer-term approach, like The New 5:2 (read on for more information about this approach)A great social media-style platform – Community – with dedicated spaces for members to share their experiences and support one another Michael Mosley gives an update for 2019, current research in the field and announces a tour starting in February. Sensible portions of moderately low-carb, Mediterranean style food for the remaining five days a week Any advice given is general in nature and not meant as a substitute for care by your usual health professional. The book's Britishisms almost made up for it. :P I'm mostly kidding, but I wish I were even more kidding than I am!

The Fast 800 Easy: Quick and simple recipes to make your 800 The Fast 800 Easy: Quick and simple recipes to make your 800

The benefits in people who are not overweight are less clear because there have been fewer studies. In one experiment, a number of fit young men were asked to practice IF without losing weight for a few weeks. During that time they saw improved insulin sensitivity, a marker for reduced diabetes riskDr. Mosley's definition of a fast is actually quite generous — 500 calories/day for women, 600 for men. Dieters fast for two nonconsecutive days each week, and are free to eat as they please on the remaining 5 days. Those who are frail or have a significant underlying medical condition should speak to their doctor first, as they would before embarking on any weight-loss regime. The images within this book are amazingly vivid. Seriously – I was drooling over many of the salmon-filled images. The bright and colorful pictures are reflected by the vivid descriptions of not only what goes into the meal but also why parts of the meal are considered healthy, etc.

Books - The Fast 800 The Books - The Fast 800

The Mediterranean-style diet promotes a daily diet of fresh vegetables, quality protein and healthy fats, including anti-inflammatory foods that help to keep your blood sugar level stable, and leave you feeling full and satisfied. Dr Michael Mosley’s Diet Plan: Rapid Weight Loss I lost weight, was hungry all the time, got a dentist phobia, just joking, and discovered that my mind felt clearer and more focused after this meditative fastening cure.

The first, and probably last, diet book I'll ever read. Most diets don't work, or when they do the loss is only temporary. We all know that. So why did I bother to read this? And why am I persuaded that it might be a different and important new approach to health and well-being? With this fasting diet offering to lower the risk of various diseases, including dementia, heart disease, diabetes and cancer plus making weight loss easier it sounds too good to be true...right? But this book is well worth a read if you are interested in becoming healthier and living longer. It seems to be a simple thing to follow, and it certainly doesn't seem like the usual conventional diets or fad diets destined to fail. The premise of the diet is that fasting 2 days a week creates multiple health benefits: weight loss, reduced risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and possibly even cancer. Besides calorie restriction, the diet also makes a person more aware of true hunger pangs versus emotional eating. There is evidence that the side effects you experience are the ones you expect, so it is best to approach Intermittent Fasting with the expectation that it will be fine. I heard from a friend that Dr. Varady, whose work Mosley talks a lot about, doesn't like his book and the way he presented (at least in the first edition?) her research, or his method as relates to research. I don't have a more substantial understanding of her complaints than this, but because this was mentioned it to me, I was looking at how he couched the diet in terms of research. In my reading, at least, he's clear (though not emphatic) that no one has done any studies with his modified IF. He's up front (though not clarion clear) that his work is a modification of hers. He does make grand claims and have high hopes for it, but it's not too hard to see where research ends and anecdote / n=1 begins. I think that he may have emphasized this dividing line in the NPR radio piece. Anyway, I was on the lookout, because of my friend's comment, and didn't find anything particularly bothersome. However, I wonder about the target audience, and how they perceive it. It might seem more slippery if you're not looking for a slope.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment