276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Snap: The Sunday Times Bestseller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I’ve been watching its Goodreads rating drop steadily ever since the announcement, and I can’t help but to feel a bit sorry for it as it’s now being judged by so many people up against what are just objectively better books. The mystery becomes how will Jack and the police figure out a way to tie the suspected killer to the actual murder. When the list was first announced, I was excited by the fact that there was some variety, that we weren’t seeing the same names that are nominated year after year.

It's been a hot minute since I've read a book by Belinda Bauer, so clearly I had forgotten that she is a crime writing queen meant to rule all of the land. If it undermines the tropes of its genre, perhaps that’s because Bauer never set out to be a crime novelist. Bauer (as ever) is very much her own woman, and produces something that exerts a considerable grip on the reader. It takes a while for the different threads in this book to come together, to weave their tapestry into the bigger picture, but it is a picture worth waiting for.I wanted to do so many other things, I wanted to tell so many other stories, and then slowly it was revealed to me that I can tell any story I want in the crime genre,” she says. She leaves her eleven-year-old son (Jack) in charge, and he takes this responsibility so seriously that he is still in charge three years later, struggling to provide food for his younger siblings and trying to keep the house looking neat and tidy on the outside so that no one will guess the chaos within.

Three years later Jack, now fifteen, is looking after his sisters since his Dad - unable to cope with the tragic event - leaves them home alone. I am almost through with ”Everything Under” and I can safely say it was one of the most unique books I’ve ever read. The mysteries (and yes, there are several), kept me tapping my screen to find out how one thread would unravel, only to find hidden threads within the mess of fabric.

Three years later, Jack is supporting himself and his sisters by breaking into people’s homes and stealing things, including healthy food to feed the family. Thank you Grove Atlantic and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review "Snap" and share my honest opinion.

Your English is perfect but I’m just curious because I was talking to another ESL reader whose English is flawless, but she said books written in dialect are difficult for her to read. I don’t even know what the worst part was: the running commentary on how pregnant women are essentially moronic (apparently ‘baby brain’ doesn’t mean ‘where did I leave my car keys,’ it means ‘my house was broken into and the burglar left a death threat on my pillow, but I won’t tell my husband, I don’t want to worry him! The holes in the story are too numerous to mention, and I don't want to reveal spoilers, but it's not a book I'd pass on to anyone when all is said is done.Three different story lines here, that are all related to each other, keep the pace quick, the story interesting. It’s just about marketing, and I wish people would understand that and pick up some good stuff and read it.

I have The Overstory (one more I need to start soon) , ”From a Low and Quit Sea” and ”Warlight” but ”Washington Black”, ”The Long Take” and ”In Our Mad and Furious City” don’t seem to attract my interest enough. Now, we focus on British English but once the children reach the upper-intermediate level we introduce them to American and Australian English.Thank you so much to Netgalley and Grove Atlantic for the opportunity to read this in exchange for my honest review.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment