276°
Posted 20 hours ago

What Can I Say?: A Kid's Guide to Super-Useful Social Skills to Help You Get Along and Express Yourself: A Kid's Guide to Super-Useful Social Skills ... Talk about Hard Things, and Be a Good Friend

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sarah became such a good friend over the years we worked together. We would always gossip and take extra long coffee breaks! I am truly going to miss her. May she rest in peace. I wish I had this book when I was a kid! It goes over many social conventions that we take for granted, and it lays out why the way to do things are the best way to handle social issues. For example, it talks about how to handle interactions with a sad friend or family member using empathy. I think the graphic nature of the explanations will appeal to kids more than simple type would. Be wary of overly religious messages, especially if you know the deceased and their family weren’t religious themselves. To be fair, Soar, Adam, Soar isn’t just a story about a trans man. It’s also a story about epilepsy, the medical establishment, and coming of age as seen through a grieving father’s eyes. Adam, Prashaw’s trans son, died unexpectedly at age 22. Woven through the elder Prashaw’s narrative are excerpts from Adam’s social media posts, giving us glimpses into the young man’s interior life as he traverses his late teens and early 20s. […] I read Fahrenheit 451 over ten years ago in my early teens. At the time, I remember really wanting to read 1984, although I never managed to get my hands on it. I'm almost glad I didn't. Though I would not have admitted it at the time, it would have gone over my head. Or at the very least, I wouldn't have been able to appreciate it fully. […]

Second, word variety can make your writing more accurate. For example, while “said” is always going to accurately describe a piece of dialogue or a quote from an outside source, there are words to use instead of “said” that can reveal the intention behind dialogue or the information conveyed in a quote.Take baby on a trip to the zoo at nighttime when all the animals are supposed to be asleep. Laugh and giggle while you read about what the animals do instead! 7. Blueberries for Salby Robert McCloskey

New children are endless love. They love unconditionally, and that’s a special feeling. Grandparents can introduce this feeling with a kind message in a baby shower book. 5. We’ll always be here for you no matter what!Lastly, one of the most unique things about this book compared to other social skills guides is the inclusion of the final two chapters, "How to Be An Ally" and "How to Care for Your Community". Honestly I think the book's subtitle should have been "A Kid's Guide to Super-Useful Social Skills to Get Along, Express Yourself, and Change the World!" The world would be a better place if these chapters were required reading for every human. In fact, I kind of want to hand out copies of the "how to respond to an offensive joke" section to everyone I know! Things like making protest signs, introducing yourself with gender pronouns, and disrupting microaggressions are truly important skills for kids to be learning these days, and they're all discussed here in simple, age-appropriate terms. It might feel lonely being a new parent. With so many changes, how do you remember what matters most? This reminder from grandparents lets the new parents know someone’s thinking of them. Including a quote to welcome a baby is a great way to enhance what you want to say. Here are a few of our favorites to include. In a world where we are connected in so many ways, our words can be more powerful than ever before. Shown through engaging graphics and relatable narration, Newman walks us through dozens of social situations, from navigating peer interactions to how to be an ally. Her writing is compassionate and sparked so many great discussions with our pre-teen. Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your grandmother. I know how close you were to her and the love she had for you. I’m sure she was a very special person and I hope you are coping.

As an educator and child advocate, I highly recommend this book for elementary and middle school kids (and honestly for teens and adults too, even if we’re maybe not quite the intended audience). This is a guide that kids and families will find themselves turning to again and again as they navigate the challenges and joys of growing up. Justin meant the world to me and his death is so upsetting. It only feels like yesterday we were raising hell as kids and enjoying ourselves. He was a huge part of my life and I am heartbroken I won’t get to spend anymore time with him. May he be remembered for the amazing man he was. Let me preface this with an apology. If I sound stunningly inarticulate at times in this review, I can't help it. My mind is completely fried. This book is like the dystopian Lord of the Rings, with its richly developed culture and economics, not to mention a fully developed language called Newspeak, or rather more of the anti-language, whose purpose is to limit speech and understanding instead of to enhance and expand it. The world-building is so fully fleshed out and spine-tinglingly terrifying that it's almost as if George travelled to such a place, escaped from it, and then just wrote it all down. This sweet story highlights how much love every mom has for her child. It is timeless, heartwarming, and endearing. 6. Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann

Develop

Because ‘to enunciate’ means ‘to say or pronounce clearly’ it doesn’t completely make sense in this context, since there isn’t a clear reason for the boy to ‘enunciate’. That's a basic list, but this book is all of that and SO MUCH MORE. I know 100% that The Poppy War will be one of my best reads of 2018. While this book has a lot of great concepts in it for what to say in different situations, many of the examples were very simplistic and didn't showcase the difference between what isn't quite right and what would be a better thing to say in different situations. I also found that the examples used were very silly and oversimplified--they'd be great for a super young audience (like 6 or younger), whereas half the concepts introduced would be more appropriate for older kids, maybe 10 and older. Because dialogue is relational, an exchange between two or more characters, it also works to switch to another character’s reaction instead of focusing on the character who’s just finished speaking. Creative writing is a third situation that might require you to think strategically about when to use “said.” In creative writing--like fiction, for instance--when and how often to use “said” is pretty much up for debate. There are a lot of synonyms for “said” that you can use to convey the emotions or intentions of a character in dialogue, but you don’t necessarily have to use some flowery synonym for “said” every time you include a piece of dialogue in creative writing. In fact, sometimes it’s okay to strategically omit attributions altogether.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment