276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tall Oaks: Winner of the CWA John Creasey New Blood Dagger Award

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Besonders schwer ist es mir gefallen, immer zuzuordnen, bei welcher Figur wir gerade sind. Da hat das Hörbuchformat wahrscheinlich auch nicht geholfen. Es war alles sehr sprunghaft und ja, ich war oft verwirrt. Die Zusammenhänge werden erst am Ende richtig klar.

This was Whitaker’s debut novel, and my gosh can this man write his characters! There was such an incredible and diverse selection of characters in this novel. These were some of the most interesting people I’ve read about in a long time! They’ll make you laugh and they’ll make you cry. Not one of their journeys through the book bored me, which is quite a feat considering there is a reasonably large number of them! It’s worth noting that is definitely a character-driven novel, so if you’re someone who prefers plot-driven books, this definitely won’t be for you! Vermisstenfälle sind ja eh ein Thema, das ich sowohl in der Realität als auch in der Fiktion immer sehr spannend finde, sodass mich das eigentliche Mysterium des Buches auch echt interessiert hat. Es wurde einfach viel drumherumerzählt, es gibt endlos viele Nebenstorylines, deren Relevanz sich erst im Nachhinein erschließt. There were many elements of this book that, alone or in combination with a few other elements, would have worked nicely. However, the number of them all together in one book just made it implausible. Believability is important to me as a reader. I understand that it's not that important to every reader. In fairness to the book, perhaps my experience in reading it would have been different if I were simply looking to get lost in a unique story. Poor Jerry, a young man under the grasp of a controlling deluded mother, who manages the local photography store, under the owner Max, who is not at all a nice guy. I'd happily recommend this book to crime readers young and old, it's an undoubtedly 5 star read for me!At least one standard in this area was not being met when we inspected the service and we have taken enforcement action.

The Woodland Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales (No. 294344) and in Scotland (No. SC038885). A non-profit-making company limited by guarantee. Registered in England No. 1982873. Was ist mit Harry geschehen? Und welcher Bewohner von Tall Oaks kann den entscheidenden Hinweis liefern? Gemeinsam mit Jim macht sich der Leser auf die Suche nach der Lösung des Rätsels um Harrys Verschwinden. Three year old Harry has gone missing. His mother Jess refuses to give up hope and with the help of the dedicated local police chief can they help solve the biggest mystery to ever occur in Tall Oaks? Will another resident hold the key to his disappearance and what will they do with the information? TheWildlife Trusts is a movement made up of 46 Wildlife Trusts: independent charities with a shared mission. Die kanadische Kleinstadt, in der Harry mit seiner Mutter wohnt, ist beschaulich....doch ihre Bewohner/innen haben große Probleme...und Geheimnisse...!As much as the mystery plays a central role here, this is so much more than your typical thriller. It’s one of those books that makes you feel every emotion imaginable. It has appeal to any reader, there’s even a sweet romance developing between Manny and Furat for the YA crowd. While the story for this novel was not a particularly unique storyline it was still interesting due to the different stories for each character! Unfortunately, I had sussed the “who” for Harry’s kidnapping, but not the “why” from quite early on in the novel, so that was a small let-down. Our Care team offers residential care for those who need help with daily tasks, and nursing care for people who have complex medical needs. At Tall Oaks Care Home, we provide both residential dementia care and 24-hour nursing dementia care for residents who require it. We also offer respite care to give family and friends a well-earned break. We have good links with the community, with the local community helping out transforming our garden with our residents. Woodland Trust (Enterprises) Limited, registered in England (No. 2296645), is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Woodland Trust. Registered office: Kempton Way, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 6LL.

We think it’s important you have detailed, comprehensive information so that you can decide which care providers to shortlist. So this hodgepogdge of characters are interlaced in a strange way, all the while tying to find their own way, and the boy who has disappeared. The story is not about Harry really, more so about the strange individuals that make up the town. This was a very entertaining read. A missing child case in a small town in America, a small town where almost everyone has secrets- far too many people with secrets really! but who cares?! It was well done and funny but also a genuine whodunnit. I didn't guess..the characters were varied and interesting. My favourites were Manny, the teenager and his friends and family. Chris Whitaker paints observant and kind portrayals of these people. The POV changes frequently so you need to pay attention. Acute oak decline and chronic oak decline are serious conditions affecting Britain’s oaks, with several contributing factors linked to the diseases. Decline of mature oaks first aroused concern in the 1920s and today most cases are in central, southern and eastern England.Teenagers masquerading as gangsters, falling in love. These parts were witty and comical, very well written in all areas. Then another subplot was funny but I found it almost disingenuous to the beginning of the disappearance of the 3 year old. It was making the disappearance of a child a trivial matter. I don't even know what I would compare this to, it is too off beat. It is its own, and being a debut, I think this author wouldn't be looking for comparisons. I imagine he is comfortable with this being what it is.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment