276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse (Goth Girl, 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Aargh! Mä niin odotin tätä ja ensilukemalla hienoinen pettymys. Olisin toivonut helppolukuista fantasiaa, sellaista kivaa ja kaunista sisäänheittokirjaa. Sitä tämä ei ollut.

Jess has moved from house to group home to house for the past nine years. Having entered the foster care system at seven, Jess doesn’t know what it’s like to have a safe place to call home. Foster Care Pro-tip number eight: Never become emotionally involved with anyone. Ever. Jess doesn’t expect this placement to be any different but Barbra, Jess’ new foster parent, is unlike any of the ones she’s had before. This book was a five star read for me, and probably one of my top ten books of this year even if it is only March when I write this. There were several things that I enjoyed about this story but more than anything was the representation it had. I love to see a main character who just was on the bigger side, and there was no side plot that focused on her journey to love her body. She made clothes and costumes that fit her and her aesthetic. As someone who dresses on the more alternative side, I often struggle to even see people who have my body type that also dress like I do. I love to see a fellow fashion queen, and I appreciate her.THE NERDY CULTURE<3 As a nerd myself i love to read how excited the team to join the cosplay expo and to become one of them. There are many references from popular stories, such as Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Star Wars, etc. Oscar is a geek, wanting friends and wanting to set his own path on making cosplay armor as a career.

The author was a kid in foster care as well. She knows what Jess is going through, and it shows. Jess doesn’t make friends, because she doesn’t want to lose them. She doesn’t get close to foster parents, because they always get rid of her.

How to Vote

Ada Goth lives in the beautifully elaborate Ghastly-Gorm Hall. She shares her home with almost absent father and famous cycling poet, Lord Goth. Ada is content, although she would love to have friends her own age – she's a little bit lonely. That is, until she meets an incredibly talented duo: William and Emily Cabbage. William and Emily are the children of servants, and Ada is honoured to be invited to their secret Attic Club. Together, the children must work to solve the mystery goings-on at Ghastly-Gorm Hall. What is Maltravers – the sinister indoor gamekeeper – doing in his spare time? What is Ishmael's – the ghost mouse who haunts Ada – purpose? And why have so many mythical creatures been captured? Goth Girl introduces us to the comedic characters and beautiful surroundings that Ada and friends come across during their ambitious expedition. Altogether I really enjoyed the book and I needed a little break after finishing it to stop crying happy tears. I really recommend it to everyone who likes geeky books! In the beginning I was a bit skeptical about the story but after the first few chapters I just fell in love with the different characters and their stories. Thank you Netgalley and North Star Editions for providing a copy of Goth Girl, Queen of the Universe by Lindsay S. Zrull in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Flux, an imprint of North Star Editions, for the opportunity to read this book. I’m rounding up from 4.5 stars.Both illuminated and illuminating this is a magnum opus from the singular talent of Chris Riddell and is certain to be the jewel in the crown of every book case it adorns. Droplets of Ink The first Goth Girl book, Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse, came out in 2013, winning the Costa Children’s Book Award and getting nominated for the CILIP Kate Greenaway and the Children’s National Book Award. There are now four books in the series. Chris has been honoured with an OBE in recognition of his illustration and charity work.Chris lives in Brighton with his family. Goofy, geeky Oscar was absolutely adorable and stole my heart early on. His enthusiasm and passion were infectious and I wanted to watch him as he created the foam weapons of my dreams. I have no expectation for this book, except how beautiful and exciting the cover is. Turns out i really love this book, and here's reasons why you should read this once it's published:

I got this as a birthday present last year from a Goodreads friend and I finally got around to reading it! (But honestly most of the books I want to read on my bookshelf have been lying there for years because I'm never in the mood or whatever.) I'm a huge fan of children's books and this one is lovely. Aside from currently being the prettiest book I own (kudos to my Kindle for stopping pretty books, or really books in general, from being on my shelf), the story is pretty good too. Jess has put up walls for protection; guarding herself from the inevitable pain of disappointment. When she finds herself with her new foster parent, Barbra, her walls begin to falter. And with help from her new geeky, cosplaying, gamer friends - Oscar, Em and Gerrit- maybe Jess can finally have a home with love and friendship. For eight and above, there’s a fascinating Swedish fantasy from Pushkin: The Murderer’s Ape by Jakob Wegelius, translated by Peter Graves. Sally Jones – always given her full name – is a silent but multitalented gorilla; engineer, chess-player and cargo-boat companion of the Chief, a Finnish seaman and her greatest friend. But when the Chief is framed for murder, she falls in with fado singer Ana Molini and Luigi Fidardo, a repairer of musical instruments, and begins the arduous, far-flung process of clearing his name. Sally Jones’s dispassionate, delightfully old-fashioned diction is a perfect match for Wegelius’s nostalgic monochrome illustrations. Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse is a brilliantly hilarious and imaginative story for children and adults alike. I'm very much looking forward to reading Goth Girl and the Fete Worse Than Death and Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fight. I hope we get to go on more adventures with William and Emily Cabbage and the rest of the Attic Club!

About Chris Riddell

The representation of foster kids. I love how Lindsay wrote about Jess's feelings about being a foster kids. It's so realistic (and then i knew that Lindsay Zrull was once a foster teen herself). Jess's point of view was kinda cynical and sour, and she's clearly have a major trust issue toward foster families (and life, basically), but judging from her past, i think it's reasonable and it makes me want to hug her :( I just wished there are more Jess's past life that described in the story, because i think it will more elaborate her complicated nature.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment