276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Charlie and Lola: My Completely Best Story Collection

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Lauren Child has been at the forefront of innovation in children's books for over 15 years and has raised the profile of illustration as an artform for all ages. She's worked with mixed media, pioneered text as an integral part of illustration and collaborated with artists across different fields. Children will join Charlie, Lola and their friends on a trip to the library to look at all the different types of books that Lola might like to read. It is a warm and funny story about family, friends and the importance of trying new things. Her manifesto is launched the week after a six-year project from the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education found that using picture books in primary schools, and making drawing part of the learning process, improves children’s writing and reading skills. The Power of Pictures project saw over 7,000 children and 318 schools across the UK take part in a course designed to help teachers use picture books, understand the process that goes into developing picture books and foster relationships between authors and schools. The project resulted in higher reading scores, and higher writing self-efficacy and writing creativity scores for children in the programme. A collection of FIVE extremely good stories all about ABSOLUTELY very important things like making friends, being independent and even taking part in your very first school sports day!

Charlie and Lola - CBeebies - BBC Charlie and Lola - CBeebies - BBC

Charlie and Lola creator Lauren Child is calling for attitudes towards children’s books to change, criticising the “lazy” assumption that “creating work with children in mind is easier or less demanding”. Charlie has this little sister Lola. Today they are visiting London on a school trip. Lola says, "London is extremely huge and very BUSY...I can't wait!" Child, who is the author and illustrator of the Charlie and Lola picture books, and the Clarice Bean and Ruby Redfort series, will launch her new manifesto at an event at The Foundling Museum in London this evening. She writes in her manifesto that, as children, we recognise that our thoughts and ideas are as valid as anyone else’s, but that we are “taught to unlearn” this as adults.We Honestly Can Look After Your Dog (TV episode title: We Do Promise Honestly We Can Look After Your Dog) Lola is really, really excited about looking after the school guinea pig, Bert. Lola loves playing with Bert, and she and Charlie even build him his very own guinea-pig run! But when Bert goes missing, Lola soon discovers that she knows something about Bert that no one else has even thought of . . . The Princess and the Pea; The Secret Garden; Who Wants to be a Poodle? I don't!; Maude, the Not-So-Noticeable Shrimpton; Clarice Bean; Ruby Redfort The "Charlie and Lola" books have been translated into Welsh under the name Cai a Lois and into many other languages.

Charlie and Lola: We Completely Must Go to London Charlie and Lola: We Completely Must Go to London

The first book, I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato (US title, later printing with Greenaway Medal seal, 2000) Tom Beattie, Betti Doherty, Alistair Douglas, Catherine T. Elliot, Tim Fehrenbach, Claudia Lloyd, James O'Shea, Caroline Parkinson, Mark Patterson, Steve Perkins, Kitty Taylor, Clare Winkworth, Andrew Zein.

One might as well suggest that shorter books hold less meaning than longer ones, or large paintings are better than small. Nevertheless, the view prevails, something which leads one to wonder: what unhappy reality does its existence reveal about the way many view our children, and our child selves?” There is a common, and lazy, assumption that creating work with children in mind is easier or less demanding, and that a writer or artist would approach it with a lesser degree of seriousness or sincerity than when creating for an adult audience. I do not believe that to be true,” writes Child in the manifesto. Charlie and Lola is the charming and heart-warming pre-school series created by Lauren Child. Using quirky illustrations and hilarious text, these books make school, bed and eating your veg, look not so bad after all!

I Will Not Ever Never Eat a Tomato (Charlie and Lola) I Will Not Ever Never Eat a Tomato (Charlie and Lola)

Charlie has this little sister, Lola, and together they have lots of extremely good adventures and do some very fun things. All Charlie and Lola fans will love this collection of five favourite stories, featuring Charlie and Lola, their friends Lotta and Marv and, of course, Marv's dog Sizzles!Based on the award-winning books by Lauren Child, Charlie and Lola is now a top-rated BBC children's television show. Lauren is also the creator of Clarice Bean and the co-creator of the widely acclaimed The Princess and the Pea. Charlie and Lola is produced by Tiger Aspect Productions. My Wobbly Tooth Must Not Ever Never Fall Out (TV episode title: I Do Not Ever Never Want My Wobbly Tooth to Fall Out) Both boys love the Charlie and Lola books - I like this one as we enjoy counting the numbers through out the book and that it’s ok to be nervous about... Lola's best friend Lotta has an extremely special new coat, and Lola really wants to borrow it. Lotta isn't so sure . . . 'I will be especially very careful,' says Lola. But will she be able to keep it all fluffy and white and new?

Charlie and Lola author Lauren Child says children’s books Charlie and Lola author Lauren Child says children’s books

Charlie is Lola’s big brother, and it is a BIG job being Lola’s big brother. She doesn’t want to eat her vegetables, or go to school, or to bed. Lola is very good at coming up with reasons for why she shouldn’t have to do any of these things, Charlie is even better at coming up with fun and imaginative reasons why she should. The Bestest in the Barn", "Dancing Dogs", "Batcat" and "It's Snowing" promos animated by Tiger Aspect Productions. Lauren Child is a multi-award-winning, bestselling writer and artist whose books are known and loved the world over. She is the creator of characters including Clarice Bean, Ruby Redfort and Charlie and Lola. My eldest loves Charlie and Lola, so when she saw this in the library she had to have it. When I read it to her, she was putting the voice on just like Lola and charlie. Even days later she was still repeating some of the lines from the book.Charlie and Lola's Best Bestest Play is based on the characters created by Lauren Child and adapted by Jonathan Lloyd, artistic director of Polka Theatre. A sequel, Charlie and Lola's Extremely New Play premiered at King's College School in 2012 before also touring internationally. Speaking to the Guardian, Child pointed to Martin Amis’s comment that he would only write a children’s book if he “had a serious brain injury”, because “I would never write about someone that forced me to write at a lower register than what I can write.” There’s not enough understanding of how sophisticated picture books can be,” said Child, who supported the project. “If we don’t understand that, then we don’t understand how amazingly sophisticated children are and that they think very deeply and powerfully about things. And we do them a disservice if we don’t see this.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment