276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Covenant with Death

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book showcases the beginning of the war when young men were desperate to join up, queuing for hours to make sure they got a place. They go through extensive training in England where the men become firm friends and are desperate to go out and fight together.

I was loaned this book and it was described to me as 'The best book on World War I ever written'. I may take issue with that as I thought both Birdsong and The Last Casualty were excellent books dealing with WWI.This has been widely reviewed already but its a far more subtle and nuanced tale than the 'Lions led by Donkeys' account some of those suggest. Harris wrote over 80 novels (perhaps the most famous being The Sea Shall Not Have Them) but this is probably his best. Based on interviews with people Harris worked with at the Sheffield Telegraph in the 1930s, it is the small details that resonate and prevent this from sliding into sentimentality. Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we in agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not reach us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:” The purpose of this book is to reveal the horror, suffering and essential bestiality of modern war, and with that revelation, to warn the nation against the peril of foreign entanglements that must lead Briton to a new Armageddon - All the pictures are taken from authentic photographs."

And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing whip shall pass through, then you shall be trodden down by it. Maybe.” I rubbed my eyes. “I don’t mind responsibility up to a point. But I don’t like power. I don’t trust it. And a judge has a hell of a lot of it. With this covenant, we were all doomed for death … even the second death. However, thanks be to Jesus … He is a precious cornerstone, and a sure tried foundation!

Browse reviews by Century

And your covenant with death shall be disannulled And your agreement with the nether-world shall not stand; When the scouring scourge shall pass through, Then ye shall be trodden down by it,

The anti-climax of being sent home after enlistment to await uniforms, much to the annoyance of the landlords who'd already rented out their rooms, the bad food, chaotic conditions, the boredom etc; the classic analysis of war being 95% boredom and 5% terror. Any ex-soldier will recognise it. Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us. There are several characters that did catch my eye. Ben is emotionally caught between two women and it's interesting to see how he relates to them and the world, in general. The young woman who was murdered was actually more fascinating after her death. Her husband, who plays a pivotal part, is seen as both guilty and innocent. Although the case looks like a slam-dunk, it really isn't.When the call to the front line comes, the men start to understand what really lies in front of them and the true horrors of war.

Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:" Isaiah 28:15 KJV Copy Print Similar Verses Save Ben has his own romantic problems being caught between two women, a desirable Swedish girl, and a sultry Mexican heiress. As Ben struggles with the trial and his personal demons, he faces the truth about himself and the law.

Browse reviews by Publisher

Your covenant with Death will be dissolved, and your agreement with Sheol will not last. When the overwhelming catastrophe passes through, you will be trampled.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment