276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Gennaro's Cucina: A cookbook of classic Italian recipes that help to budget during a cost-of-living crisis

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Because poor people had limited ingredients available to them, they learnt to value what they had, cook dishes lovingly to make them taste better and really use all their imagination to make dishes go as far as they could. They also learned to preserve food by salting, drying and curing. A lot of Italian food is based on this principle – look at all the delicious cured meats and sausages available in an Italian deli.

Contaldo opened the Passione restaurant, in Charlotte Street, London, in 1999. Passione was awarded 'Best Italian Restaurant 2005' by the Tio Pepe Restaurant Awards. Passione closed in March 2009 due to decreased business as a result of the late-2000s recession. [4] Remove and discard the garlic cloves from the tomato sauce. Combine the remaining tomato sauce with the deep-fried aubergines, the cooked pasta, basil leaves, threequarters of the mozzarella and half the grated Parmesan. Step 6 Gennaro Contaldo puts a bowl of penne in front of me. “Eat! Enjoy it!” he says. It’s 10am, but you don’t turn down pasta at an Italian chef’s house – no matter what time it is. Cucina povera is the basis from which all our favourite Italian dishes come. It’s the sort of cooking I was brought up on and still cook today.Contaldo is also known for his association with Jamie Oliver, whom he first met at Neal Street Restaurant in the 1990s. The two chefs have since maintained a close friendship and professional relationship. Oliver even once put up a reward for information when Contaldo's restaurant, Passione, was burgled in 2003. [5] Contaldo has appeared on many of Oliver's television shows, such as The Naked Chef. He made a comic appearance as one of Oliver's sous-chefs on Food Network's Iron Chef America, in a battle against famed Italian-American chef Mario Batali. Contaldo also developed menus for Oliver's UK restaurant chain Jamie's Italian, in which he is a business partner. He won’t touch out of season fruit and veg flown thousands of miles to give us year-long supermarket produce. “Cherries are everywhere at the moment – when I see them in a shop, I won’t even taste it,” he says. in batches, ensuring you reheat the oil between each batch. Remove each batch using a slotted spoon and leave to drain on kitchen paper. Step 4

It originates mainly from rural areas, where meals were created using the limited number of ingredients available – either what people grew or what little they could afford. In doing so, they learnt to value what they had and to lovingly cook dishes to ensure they tasted better, using all their imagination to make dishes go as far as they could.” Remove the leaves from the dandelion (and the heart if using puntarelle) and save the roots to make a salad (see recipe intro). Take the leaves and blanch them in a pan of boiling water for a couple of minutes until tender. Drain well. Born in Minori on the Amalfi Coast, Gennaro’s quintessentially Italian spirit and positive nature has made him a TV favourite. He regularly appears on Saturday Kitchen as well as his own TV show, the highly successful Two Greedy Italians, BBC2. While the sauce is bubbling away, heat plenty of vegetable oil in a large, deep frying pan until hot, then add some of the aubergine cubes and deep-fry over a medium-to-high heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. You’ll need to deep-fry the aubergine in batches, ensuring you reheat the oil between each batch. Remove each batch using a slotted spoon and leave to drain on kitchen paper. And I hate expiry dates, just smell it, look at it - there's nothing wrong with it except when it's rotting. Even if you've got some milk left, when it goes sour you've got lovely ricotta."d. The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, suspend, cancel, or amend the prize competition where it becomes necessary to do so. There was no information, not many people wrote recipes down – I, myself, have a recipe book here,” he says, tapping his head.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment