276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Frogged

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Eh. It was okay. It sounded really fun; I love a good modernized/modified fairy tale. This one was supposed to be a take on The Frog Prince clearly. As my roommate Kelly pointed out when I read her the description, it sounded like a cross between Disney’s The Princess and the Frog and Don Bluth’s Thumbelina. (Which is one of my all time favorite movies, no shame.) The execution was just a little boring. There wasn’t much that was new here; I’m not sure why the author felt the need to tell this story. I never really felt any sense of suspense or urgency to the story, and pretty much all the characters were flat and one-dimensional. Imogene, the princess, was kind of fun and her voice was at times sarcastic and witty, but I didn’t feel any sort of real connection to her. The love interest at the end came out of nowhere and felt incredibly unneeded. The story didn’t call for any kind of romantic plot at all, especially not one so half-assed. Also Ned’s strange redemption/exposition that came in the final few chapters felt ridiculous and out of character. Overall, I was just not impressed with this book. One other comment – Joan finishes the book with a life changing opportunity to move to England, one she claims as her destiny and causes her to reflect on her namesake Joan of Arc: it was harder for me to think of a historical character less suitable for inspiration for seeing England as a redemptive promised land of opportunity. Imogene's misadventures as an amphibian are entertaining. There's enough light humor throughout to keep readers hooked." This was a difficult story to read. So much death, racism, tragedy and loneliness. Yet what I was left with was the power of sisterhood, of self-love, of believing in God-given talents, of understanding and the of amazing healing powers of community. I loved the depictions of a city and a culture I am an outsider to, but can appreciate and celebrate with the author. I felt like I was there with these sisters as they endured hardship after hardship and persevered with grit and determination.

Frogged Out Fans True by Ward Colin - AbeBooks Frogged Out Fans True by Ward Colin - AbeBooks

Frog (Fastening).” Wikipedia , April 11, 2018. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Frog_(fastening)&oldid=835893908 .

There's SO MUCH more I could say about this book's failings, big and small but I will just end it with these small annoyances—

frogging | Fashion History Timeline frogging | Fashion History Timeline

Also, I loved that her prologue basically chastised me for remarking on how I usually skip prologues and author's notes. Ha! Well, I assure you, while I STILL skip most author's prologues (you know, the kind that are ABOUT the book and not actually a PART of the story), I ALWAYS read Vivian Vande Velde's prologues and author's notes (and you should too. They're funny!) Robot Roz undertakes an unusual ocean journey to save her adopted island home in this third series entry. A princess should be as good as she is beautiful.So says The Art of Being a Princess, which Princess Imogene is supposed to be reading. But since she is neither particularly good nor all that beautiful, she skips her homework to visit the pond. There she meets a talking frog who claims to be a prince under a witch’s spell. Imogene kindly kisses him to remove the spell – and gets turned into a frog instead!Now the only way for the princess to un-frog herself is to convince someone else to kiss her. But before she can figure out a plan, Imogene gets kidnapped and becomes the unwilling star attraction in a third-rate traveling theater company. Can she find a way to undo the witch’s spell – or will she be frogged forever? Frogged by Vivian Vande Velde – eBook Details In this Edgar Award winner set in medieval times, Anora chooses to marry the obnoxious but wealthy Farold instead of Selwyn, thus making Selwyn the chief suspect when Farold is found murdered. Continue reading » While Imogene is at the traveling theater she makes witty and humorous remarks and gives advice to Luella who makes the mistake of following Bertie to a traveling theater. Imogene's funnier than I expected and I really enjoyed her perspective as a princess trapped in a frog's body. I kind of felt bad for frogs and their bad wraps even though I will still never get near any of them or at least not any toads *shudder*.I enjoyed the quirkiness of the story but I kind of got tired of how things kept going from bad to worst without any break. More than once I felt like going "Oh for goodness sake" because I just couldn't believe what some of the characters were doing or saying. I absolutely adored this debut novel and felt that each female character stood out to me in the narration. No one voice drowning out another. Author Tara M. Stringfellow is definitely on my radar and I will keep an eye out for future titles. i wanted to love this so bad. i typically really enjoyed character driven books like this, especially ones that follow a specific family or theme or take place in one setting. this book just didn't hit the nail on the head, but it was close. The sounds of Stax-Volt and Motown were the cadence to which many young people came of age in the United States during the late sixties and early seventies.The music and rhythms from Memphis and Detroit spilled out onto the streets through radios and speakers in houses and stores.The songs and beats of this era evoked a sense of tragedy and hope as they defined a nation struggling to push forward civil and human rights. Tara Stringfellow blends these cadences with the sights and sensory stimuli of a multigenerational story of resilient women that portrays a critical time and place in American history. This is a soft coming-of-age story that particularly speaks to the growing pains of young adolescents (and specifically girls). It is also a fun read for entertainment that is written in a style suitable for students grades 4-8. It meets these needs well.

Vivian Vande Velde

Through a series of unfortunate events, poor Imogene gets tossed in with a traveling theater group. This theater group isn’t exactly made up of the nicest people though. Most of them were downright infuriating. But they were supposed to be. And some of their antics were quite amusing. You couldn’t help but feel sorry for Imogene getting tossed in with these rotten, clueless people though. Thankfully, not all of them were straight up caricatures. There was some depth and even a character arc that really brought heart to the tale. May I come in?” he asked. August cast her sister a side look. At almost fifteen, she already matched Miriam’s height. “Yes, of course. Welcome,” Miriam said, with a rush to her voice August had never before heard. “We really doing this, huh?” August threw her hands up. “Fine, come in.” She waved. “There’s the piano, the couch, the Victro—the old record player. That’s a random cat that must have come in when you interrupted my piano practicing, a lovely gold rotary phone. You got a carpetbag big enough for all this?” Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults. A couple of quotes from August who will go down as one of my all-time favorite fictional friends . . . . . The narrative is non-linear, moving randomly between multiple characters and eras. It was an odd choice as it serves to only confuse the reader. The “voices” of the characters are so similar that I found it difficult to remember who was narrating and which era I was in.I don't even know how to describe this book. It's Vivian Vande Velde. I like Vivian Vande Velde. I haven't read a book she's written that I haven't liked, though some I've LOVED (but this one I liked). I recommend her to everyone because she's just that kind of author. Basically, amazing. As you can tell from the line quoted above, this book is filled with gorgeous, poetic observations that will make you stop and dwell on the words you just consumed. There were so many lines I highlighted in this book. The story captivates from beginning to end and the characters pull you in and invite you into their lives. This was a powerful read and is one to be treasured. Highly recommend. There is always a quest and a hero who must complete the quest no matter the dangers or the impossibility of the tasks set before him/her. (Chance, P. 84) aWhen almost-thirteen-year-old Princess Imogene is turned into a frog, she puts into practice lessons from the book, The Art of Being a Princess, as she tries to become her less-than-perfect self again. There are other acts of violence in the past that have altered the path of this family. Joan remembers one such act. As she grows through her teenage years, she finds comfort in her gift of artwork, portrait painting, and the healing power of her paintbrush...

Frogged by Vivian Vande Velde | Goodreads

A rare and disturbed family member, spousal abuse, even the horror of 9/11, all seen through their eyes. How they weather these tragedies, how they maintain their hopes and dreams of better things and do it together, is the story. The strength of these women to survive and thrive, how they lean on and learn from each other, is formidable. A very worthy read and one I highly recommend.

Cute, funny fractured fairy tale - 12-year-old Princess Imogene kisses a frog who claims he's a prince...and gets turned into a frog herself. When Giannine arrives at a virtual arcade, she is greeted by protestors but decides to play in Heir Apparent anyway. But then the arcade's CEO appears in her game and tells her the only way Continue reading » For six long years Nyssa has been seeking justice for her parents who were murdered when she was 10 years old. She had suspected Elsdon, a youngest son of Lord Haraford, but his parents had Continue reading » And if you’re scared this is a copy of Disney’s The Princess and the Frog, don’t be! Yes, the princess gets turned into a frog, but that is the only similarity. It’s a very original tale!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment