276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world: 1

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Find out about habitat loss around the world. How is it affecting the plants, animals and people living in the area? Greta and the Giants is an endearing picture book inspired by the environmental activist Greta Thunberg. Thank you to #NetGalley and Quarto Publishing for letting me read an advanced copy of #GretaandtheGiants in exchange for my honest review. This was a book I really wanted to get my hands on and see how it all looked on paper. It's a book that I will definitely be getting for my daughter, as the whole book is about doing what you know is right, no matter what age you are.

Greta is a brave girl who fights for what is right. She takes a stand and sits, day after day, with a sign simply saying "STOP". The giants pay her no attention but, one day, a boy brings hope by joining her. After that, other animals big and small, and children young and old, join Greta. Together, they’re a voice so huge and powerful that the giants eventually begin to listen.Publisher's Synopsis: This inspiring picture book retells the story of Nobel Peace Prize nominee Greta Thunberg — the Swedish teenager who has led a global movement to raise awareness about the world’s climate crisis — using allegory to make this important topic accessible to young children. The illustrations used the earthern colours very well in contrast to the grey of the city, and I loved seeing the two mesh at the end. We should add that this review is not a reflection on Greta Thunberg. Placing activists on a pedestal and in isolation is typical of the corporate media and children’s books — we have seen the same pattern with Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King, Cesar Chavez, Nelson Mandela, Wangari Maathai, and numerous others.

Greta and the Giants is a delightful children's book that's filled with vivid illustrations and a very empowering message. Much like the real-life Greta, no one is too young or too small to make a difference in the world. As long as someone is willing to try very hard and has a lot of passion about a specific topic, they can get others to notice them.I by no means disagree that climate change is an issue; but I don't feel like protesting it is really helping the problem. It isn't because governments don't want to do something it's that those solutions that exist will bankrupt worldwide economies, put people out of jobs (and thus their homes) and create inflation so high that everyone will starve. Like it or not we have to balance economics with policy decisions and implementing a bunch of mandatory, expensive climate change stoppers isn't going to solve the worlds problems; in fact it might make them worse. The art is spectacular and vivid using bright greens and blues for the forest while the city is drawn in dark grey. The image of billowing smoke, and roads stretching for miles illuminate the dangers presented by pollution.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment