276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Brooks England Men's B17 Saddle

£44.1£88.20Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As you can see, different models of the Brooks B17 offer a variety of fits for different pelvic structures and tissue configurations. Whatever you choose, may it feel as though you’re perched atop a soft puffy cloud (hey, a cyclist can dream, right?) as you enjoy warm tailwinds and scenic empty roads. The cutout consists of a slit in the leather that allows for extra flex in the middle, plus lacing around the sides that, when loosened or tightened, allows for more or less flex. More flex generally takes pressure off the soft tissue between your sit bones and places more pressure on the bones themselves. Usually, this is the lesser of the two evils. My B17 Short Carved saddle from below, showing the cutout and the laces.

Imperial” seems to have been Brooks’ classy-sounding euphemism for “has a cutout to take pressure off your private bits.” Current models are called “carved,” which is the same thing as far as I can tell. There is a unisex B17 Carved model and also a B17 S Carved version, which is shorter as described above and also has a cutout. So if the B17 S isn’t any wider than the B17, why do I feel like the S does a better job of supporting my sit bones and fitting my pelvis? I’m certainly no expert, but I would guess it has to do with the more abrupt curve from the wide rear to the narrow front. This allows my sit bones to rest comfortably on the widest part of the saddle while still letting my thighs move freely. If that has anything to do with wider sit bones or female pelvic structure, then so be it! Whatever the reason, the S does seem to work better for me. I also bought a classic Raleigh Road Ace. A Reynolds 531 steel-framed beauty that was as old as I was. This vintage racing bicycle came with a well worn yet super comfy stiff foam saddle. It was my new favourite. Test driving saddles for cycle touringProtect it from rain. While I feel some people take this warning way too seriously – aren’t we sitting on them all day in our sweaty shorts anyway? – it doesn’t hurt to try and keep your Brooks dry. I cover mine with a plastic bag if rain is expected overnight. One thing to consider is that a leather saddle can look a bit out of place on some bikes. Particularly very modern carbon fiber or aluminum road bikes or bikes with very bright paint jobs. The old-timey looking leather saddle just looks like it doesn’t belong. The B17 saddle is handmade by Brooks England in their factory in Birmingham. This iconic saddle was first introduced into the Brooks product range in 1890. The design is largely unchanged from the original product that was introduced over 100 years ago. The B17 is designed for long-distance bicycle touring. This is a classic piece of cycling gear and is Brooks best selling model. Overall, I would highly recommend the Brooks B17 saddle for long-distance bicycle touring. My B17 leather saddle has lasted well over a decade of bike travel in climates ad destinations all over the world. Leather saddles are iconic. After all, they have been a part of cycling for over 100 years. The shiny leather gives your bike a classic look. The rivets are cool and add style. Brooks, in particular, builds an absolutely beautiful product. These saddles look great on vintage bikes and touring bikes.

One thing to consider when using a premium saddle like this is theft. Most thieves probably aren’t familiar with leather saddles but the B17 just looks expensive. It probably has a higher chance of being stolen. If you live in a high crime area, this is something to think about. Things I Don’t Like About the Brooks B17 SaddleIt’s said that a longer saddle nose offers better control over the bike, and when I bought my Women’s B17 saddle I was worried about giving this up. Now that I’m used to it, I don’t think it’s a problem at all. There is still plenty of nose, and unless you’re mountain biking on technical trails I personally don’t think you’ll notice any issues. When properly cared for, the B-17 can be a very durable and long-lasting piece of equipment. We know riders who have had the same Brooks saddle on their daily commuter bike for many years. The tensioned leather will stand the test of time if it is treated often using Brooks Proofide, and protected from the elements. Weight World War II saw a drastic reduction in the range to the basic models and it was not until 1949 that a wider range of models was offered. A new range of lightweight models with aluminium cantleplates and stainless steel rails was launched. On the standard range of B17 saddles chrome plated rails were also offered as an option for the first time. They were numbered differently – B27 (Standard), B37 (Narrow), B47 (Sprinter) and B57 (Swallow). In late 1952 (though previously available on the continent) a new B17 model, the B17F was introduced – this was essentially a modified version of the Narrow with keyhole slots in the top and a more rounded cantleplate with the leather trimmed away. This was similar to how many riders were already modifying their saddles. This model later evolved into the Special before disappearing from the catalogues just before the announcement of the B17 Competition at the November 1954 London Cycle Show. The Competition was slightly wider initially than the Narrow (6 ¼in) and was intended strictly for the racing market. B17; Carved, Special, Special Titanium, Softened, Short, Carved Short, Special Short, Softened Short, Narrow, Narrow Carved, Special Brooks Lab, Team Pro Special, and finally, the Team Pro Special Short. For a bicycle part to be still in production for probably nearly 110 years is really quite unique – only matched by another saddle from the Brooks range the B90. And from the 1920s right through to the 1970s it was the saddle of choice for most serious riders across the world including pro riders from France, Netherlands and Italy who could have chosen a saddle made in their own country. Hard riding tourists will still often choose a B17 for the sheer comfort it offers over many miles. Leather saddles mould to fit the rider’s shape and the polished leather has just the right amount of friction for the rider to sit on. Earlier Brooks embossing probably dating from around 1915

The Brooks B17 weighs 574 grams (about 20 ounces). This is very heavy for a bicycle saddle. In fact, you can buy ultralight carbon fiber saddles that weigh less than a quarter of the B17. If weight is a factor for you, you may want to look elsewhere. It’s Expensive Personally, I prefer to spend more money to buy something once that is of good quality and that will last rather than having to buy something cheaper multiple times. I expect to get at least a decade of use from this saddle. Final Thoughts on the Brooks B17 Saddle As the leather stretches with use, sometimes the saddle needs to be tightened to maintain a good fit. Approach with care and do NOT overdo it. Often this doesn’t need to be done for years. When you do tighten, do it gradually, just one quarter turn at a time, and wait to see if it makes a difference. Once you’ve pulled the leather too tight, you can’t necessarily undo it and return to the previous fit.The saddle requires some additional maintenance that a regular plastic synthetic saddles don’t need. The Brooks B17 leather saddle has a cult following within the bike touring community. The hard leather, it’s said, molds to your most personal anatomy over many hundreds of miles, creating a perch that’s perfect for long days and big miles across countries or entire continents.

Many women, on the other hand, agonize over the tradeoffs between the the B17 and B17 S. What exactly is the difference? Taking care of a leather saddle is easier than it may sound. As a natural material, it’s fantastically resilient and marvellously weatherproof in a way that synthetic materials simply are not. Our leather saddles come in different shapes and styles depending on what kind of bike or riding position. For example, a wider saddle with springs is ideal for an upright, 90-degree posture. Middle widths are often used for touring or commuting when the spinal angle of the rider is in a 45 to 60 degrees position. As a general rule, the more athletic the riding position, the narrower the saddle. Why do I need to break in my leather saddle?Why does length matter? Some people on the internet seem to think a shorter nose reduces soft tissue pressure for women. But if you’re a woman or have ever been up close and personal with one, you’ll know this makes no sense at all. What the shorter nose does do is reduce the available fore / aft seat adjustment range, slightly reduce control over the bike in some situations (more on this below), and supposedly make it easier to cycle in a skirt. B17 Short (also happens to be Carved) on the left. Notice the shorter fore / aft adjustment range of the rails. Having to carry a saddle cover adds a bit more weight and bulk to your setup that you wouldn’t have to worry about if you used a plastic saddle. It’s Heavy Brooks is up there setting the standard when it comes to manufacturing well-functioning and chic leather saddles. Their leather saddles are a very popular choice among cyclists. Irrespective of the type of riding you’re into, be it road biking, cyclo-cross, mountain biking, touring, or everyday commuting. Therefore; getting yourself a Brooks saddle will serve you with the perfect blend between comfort and performance. Any professional cyclist or an avid cyclist will vouch for the quality of Brooks saddles. You’ll also need to tighten the leather every once in a while as it stretches. This is necessary to keep the leather tight on the frame. You tighten the leather by turning a bolt on the underside of the nose of the saddle with a small wrench. The wrench is included with the saddle.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment