276°
Posted 20 hours ago

SABRENT M.2 NVMe SSD 8TB Gen 4, Internal Solid State 7100MB/s Read, PCIe 4.0 M2 Hard Drive for Gamers, Compatible with PlayStation 5, PS5 Console, PCs, NUC Laptops and Desktops (SB-RKT4P-8TB)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We actually like these because often, you often get a robust heat sink on the M.2 drive. Some PCI Express-bus M.2 SSDs can run hot under sustained read/write tasks and throttle their speed. That said, unless you're running a server or something similar, where a drive is constantly getting hammered with reads and writes, that's usually not something you have to worry about. That's because many of these drives are so fast, they get their transfer duties done before they have a chance to get all that hot. The biggest weakness of the P41 Plus is the performance. In my review, it only got up to 4,000MB/s in reads and 3,300MB/s in writes, just under the official rating of 4,125MB/s in reads and 3,325MB/s in writes. Great pricing helps make up for this, but so does Solidigm's custom Synergy software and drivers. Virtually every other company actually just uses Microsoft's default SSD drivers, but Solidigm's custom drivers boost performance by a decent amount, despite it being super low-end. Additionally, its 400TBW endurance isn't bad either.

In my early career, I worked as an editor of scholarly science books, and as an editor of "Dummies"-style computer guidebooks for Brady Books (now, BradyGames). I'm a lifetime New Yorker, a graduate of New York University's journalism program, and a member of Phi Beta Kappa. However, from an engineering point of view, SSDs didn't needto be that big. The enclosure an SSD comes in has a lot of dead space inside. It's designed in that 2.5-inch size and shape to make the drive fit into those existing bays. So when mobile-device designers, challenged with slimming down laptops and tablets, reassessed this issue, the consensus was clear: The bulky 2.5-inch form factor, eventually, would have to go. I chose this drive over the only other 8TB SSD I'm aware of (a 2.5" SATA model), despite being QLC, for its longer warranty, large capacity, and because it allowed me to keep one of the 2.5" bays in my laptop free for another purpose. Once data has been written to the drive, it will be mostly read only with the only writes being when occasionally adding new data. Since the drive will be powered up frequently and have few writes, it should outlast the warranty without loss of data.Even in mSATA's heyday, though, a replacement was in the works. During development, it was known as NGFF, for "Next-Generation Form Factor." As it took shape, though, it took on its current, final name: M.2. The drives would be smaller, potentially more capacious, and, most important, not necessarily reliant on SATA. While I have only been using this for about a week at this point I couldn't be happier. While time will only tell and I will update this if there are any issues of course but I am very happy so far. The drive utilizes the Phison E12S PCIe 3.0 controller. Although newer drives with PCIe 4.0 arrive with the newer Phison E16 and E18 controllers. But unless these SSDs use TLC, the QLC flash will still be a limiting factor in speed. My laptop is running on Linux Mint 19.3 booted from an MLC NVMe drive. I have a 4TB 2.5" MLC SSD for data frequently accessed, written, edited, and deleted. An external NVMe SSD is excellent if you can utilize its speed to improve your workflow, but these SSDs fall behind what SATA SSDs can offer when it comes to price and endurance. The Oyen Digital U32 Shadow is an example of a well-built SATA SSD that is a great storage medium for those who need a fast and reliable way to transfer their data between devices.

The VectoTech Rapid is another external 8TB SSD that utilizes a SATA SSD in a custom enclosure that takes up very little space and is light enough to be carried around without hassle. It also uses a USB 3.1 Gen 2 interface for data transfer, which we believe a majority of the devices manufactured support today. That's not a bad thing. Especially in the case of laptops, an older machine might supportonlyM.2 SATA-bus SSDs, and that will be the boundary of your upgrade path...end of story. As a result, the only reasons you'd upgrade the drive, in that situation, would be to get more capacity, or if the old one failed. The SSD itself uses QLC NAND. Since more data is stored per cell, the SSD will have a shorter write life than TLC and MLC SSDs. Also, since each cell is more crowded, data leakage will start happening sooner than with TLC and MLC NAND. However, the TBW rating is still high enough that most people will never come close to exceeding the the TBW rating or experience data leakage during the five year warranty period. This change of mind return policy is in addition to, and does not affect your rights under the Australian Consumer Law including any rights you may have in respect of faulty items. To return faulty items see our Returning Faulty Items policy.I recommend this drive for compact, high capacity, relatively static data storage installed inside a computer. It would not be suitable for use as an external drive unless the drive was powered up frequently and mostly read rather than written to. Considering that M.2 SSDs are often stowed away, lying either under components or on the other side of the board, you don't necessarily need to care about how they look. Nevertheless, RGB can be put on basically anything, and naturally, there are RGB SSDs you can buy, even in the M.2 form factor. There aren't a ton of them out there, but thankfully Patriot's Viper VPR400 comes with RGB and doesn't make any critical compromises that would normally plague such a niche product. PCIe 5.0 SSDs have just hit the market, though for the moment they're really for enthusiast tier desktops and not much else. Still, PCIe 5.0 is a big deal for SSDs since it pushes the limit from 8,000MB/s with M.2 running PCIe 4.0 to 16,000MB/s with M.2 running PCIe 5.0. We're only in the first generation of PCIe 5.0 drives, so none of them are even close to 16,000MB/s, but Crucial's T700 is topping the leaderboard today and it's not even the most expensive PCIe 5.0 drive out there. The 870 QVO’s write speed comes in at 530MB/s, while the read speed is set at a slightly higher 560MB/s. The write endurance of the SSD is rated at 2,880 TB, much higher than the QLC NVMe SSDs we saw earlier. The high capacity of the 870 QVO and its 2.5-inch form factor makes it the ideal choice for replacing your existing high-capacity hard drives, as the performance gains will be pretty significant than even the fastest ones.

This change of mind return policy is in addition to, and does not affect your rights under the Australian Consumer Law including any rights you may have in respect of faulty items. Now, to reiterate an important point: A drive may come in the M.2 form factor, but that says nothing about the bus that it makes use of. Determining that is just as important as making sure it fits. The U32 Shadow supports USB 3.1 Gen 2, over which you can transfer data at a maximum speed of 550MB/s. The drive uses an ASMedia 235CM controller that supports the UASP protocol and TRIM functionality. While many external SSD manufacturers prefer to leave out the SSD specification used on the inside, we have little reason not to believe the U32 Shadow uses the 870 QVO from Samsung. Kioxia originally demonstrated the technical specifications for BiCS5 at ISSCC 2019. The original design was a 128-layer quad-plane design with a CMOS-under-Array (CuA) configuration. However, the BiCS we tested here is a 112-layer dual-plane design without CuA. These compromises suggest a bigger focus on production efficiency (density and yield), which explains the 1Tb dies used here. These characteristics have potentially impacted other drives by WD that have had their flash upgraded or replaced.

At the core, an SSD is just a thin circuit board studded with flash-memory and controller chips. Why not design around that? Thus the M.2 form factor was born. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. The Samsung SSD 990 Pro, the company's flagship PCI Express 4.0 NVMe internal solid-state drive, has a hard act to follow in the Editors' Choice-winning SSD 980 Pro, but for the most part it makes a great product even better. This power-efficient drive gets high marks for raw speed, everyday application performance, a strong software suite, and hardware-based encryption. The heatsink-equipped version of this drive performed slightly better than the non-heatsink version (which we tested using our testbed's motherboard's heatsink) in most of our benchmarks. It doesn't quite merit the 980 Pro's Editors' Choice award, because other recent internal SSDs have outpaced it in our gaming benchmarks, but its overall capability makes this Samsung a versatile drive well-suited for creative tasks. Who It's For The ADATA XPG Spectrix S40 is an unapologetically bright RGB-lit PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD that blings up your PC. Its 4K read and write speeds should keep most gamers happy, too. The ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G carries some respectable wins out of its duel with other competing drives we've tested, and it looked great doing it.

If you’re new to the landscape of SSDs, it can seem challenging to differentiate between the different types available in the market. All SSDs available today essentially use the same basic technology to store data in the form of an electrical charge. SSDs typically use a cell structure to store bits of data. A typical TLC flash SSD stores three bits of data, while QLC flash will store four bits. The drive’s 540 MB/s transfer rate is what one would expect from a SATA-based SSD, which, although much slower than NVMe, is way more enduring. Based on our findings, the drive inside seems to be a Micron 5210 Ion SSD, which has a similar data transfer rate as the Rapid. This flash is more or less equivalent to 128-layer TLC from other manufacturers, such as that found on the 980 Pro by Samsung or on the Gold P31 by SK hynix. BiCS5 should come with a bit lower latency than the old 96-layer BiCS4 flash that’s been used in many products and often as an alternative to Micron’s 96-layer B27B TLC. We’ve seen good results from it on the SN570 and, especially, the SN770.The earliest versions of M.2 PCI Express SSDs made use of the PCI Express Gen 2.0 x2 interface, which defines a throughput ceiling that's higher than SATA 3.0's, but not enormously so. That evolved into PCI Express Gen 3.0 x2 and x4, paired with a technology called Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) to propel performance even further, especially with heavy, deeply queued workloads.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment