276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Light Between Us: Lessons from Heaven That Teach Us to Live Better in the Here and Now

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I read The Light Between Us with great joy, savoring the wonderful stories and messages of hope. It is a book filled with wisdom and love, exploring the deep bonds that keep us eternally connected to our soul mates.” —Brian L. Weiss, M.D., author of Many Lives, Many Masters The visions Alex kept having. I know it was to help keep Charlie in the forefront of both our minds and Alex's, but that was just a little bit too weird for my liking. Arnold, Sue (4 May 2012). "Sue Arnold's audiobook choice – review". TheGuardian.com . Retrieved 11 April 2015. I read The Light Between Us with great joy, savoring the wonderful stories and messages of hope. It is a book filled with wisdom and love, exploring the deep bonds that keep us eternally connected to our soul mates." --Brian L. Weiss, M.D., author of Many Lives, Many Masters

Miles Franklin 2013 longlist announced". booksandpublishing.com.au. Books+Publishing. 26 March 2013 . Retrieved 27 June 2017. Dadson, Manika (November 14, 2014). "Stanley abuzz as filming nears". examiner.com.au . Retrieved November 18, 2014.Richard Roeper (August 30, 2016). " 'The Light Between Oceans': Soap gets in your teary eyes". Chicago Sun-Times. Derek Cianfrance, who directed the poignant Blue Valentine and the riveting The Place Beyond the Pines, brought probably the best out of Michael Fassbender and Rachel Weisz in quite some time, even if the film pulls at your heart strings a few too many times.

Vikander and Weisz are just as good. All 3 characters have bad qualities and choices that could turn them into unlikable human beings, but Weisz and Vikander add a graceful human touch to their roles. Though Vikander doesn't have children in real life, I believed she could be a mother someday with her turn. Weisz on the other-hand is a mother, and that motherly instinct exudes onto the screen. Both performances are so mind-bendingly good. We often hear of the horror of World War II, but not nearly enough--we so rarely shine that light against the most shadowy parts of history. Exploration of the internment camps, which served up sheer cruelty, is not something that is often spoken of. Many don't even know, fully, the extent of this fractured part of history--and that is completely devastating. This story, too, is devastating and stunning all at once--the way that Fukuda weaves these historical events together is as cold and smooth as you'd expect; poignant and thought-provoking. Distribution was handled by Mister Smith Entertainment through other third-party film distributors in all other regions except for India; [5] Entertainment One in the United Kingdom, [45] and Australia, Arthouse in Russia, [46] and Phantom Film in Japan. Reliance Entertainment released the film in India. Sargent, Aryelle (November 14, 2014). "Stanley transformed". theadvocate.com.au . Retrieved November 18, 2014.This story is about a friendship between two people that have never met but are bound to each other through these letters. It is like the quote from Jane Eyre: "I have a strange feeling with regard to you. As if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly knotted to a similar string in you. And if you were to leave I'm afraid the cord of communion would snap." Strong female friendships made this story such a standout in modern literature. We have a group of women who are all well educated, supportive of one another and never undermine each other. Despite having vastly different personalities, they unite in support of one another and are always there at times of need. The novel gets darker in mood when Alex decides to join a segregated army company - in large part to make a hail-mary effort to find Charlie. There is much brutality and much heartfelt feeling of camaraderie. Fukuda does an excellent job of conveying the racism toward the Japanese-American troops and the fact that much of their most heroic efforts were erased from the narrative of the American war effort. He clearly drew on real-life events which makes it all the more poignant. Ritman, Alex (July 28, 2016). "Venice Film Festival Unveils Lineup for 73rd Edition". The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved July 28, 2016.

Straightforward, unassuming, and profoundly generous . . . Brave, honest, and beautiful, this book is a treasure.” —Mark Epstein, M.D., author of Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart I feel like there are so few novels that explore horrendous acts in our history in the way that Fukuda does. It is this ache throughout our body. It is about remembering. It is art that reflects life. It will leave readers feeling awe when it comes to the way Andrew Fukuda brings this story to life. It is fiction that could easily be reality, because it's based within reality and the gravity of this story weighs at the reader. DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, Reliance Entertainment and Entertainment One Form Amblin Partners, a New Film, Television and Digital Content Creation Company" (Press release). Business Wire. Universal City, California. December 16, 2015 . Retrieved December 23, 2015. Film projects in various stages of production include: "The BFG," and "The Light Between Oceans," scheduled for release by Disney in 2016. Historical fiction can be difficult to navigate, but Fukuda is more than up for the task and creates an emotionally charged story that will surely leave an impression on those who read it. This Light Between Us possesses all the qualities that a good novel requires and portrays every inch of our history as humans with a blunt force of honesty, care and complexities.The story starts out with Alex and his older brother Frank living their relatively easy life on Bainbridge Island, a settlement mostly populated by Japanese immigrants and the Nisei children. Alex has a pen pal in Paris named Charlie with whom he as been corresponding on a regular basis despite his initial disgust at finding out Charlie is in fact a she. Life is good until the bombing of Pearl Harbour, the catastrophic event that set into motion the segregation and evacuation of all Japanese/Japanese-American occupants to internment camps across the country. Meanwhile Charlie, being Jewish and living in Paris during the German occupation is attempting to avoid detection and removal to an internment camp in Europe simply for existing.

A beautiful story that manages to be both earnest and tough without getting overly sentimental. The story opens with Alex, a young Japanese-American boy living in Bainbridge Island in the 1930/40's, getting slightly miffed when he finds out that his assigned penpal, Charlie, is not in-fact a boy, but a young Jewish girl living in Paris. Although reluctant at first, Alex and Charlie begin a correspondence that lasts years. This part of the book was so affecting as Fukuda really captured the youthful ardency of two nerdy and sensitive kids who are on the cusp of adulthood in the midst of the turmoil of a world at war. Equally, their words carry a solemn urgency as Alex and his family are sent to live in an internment camp and Charlie feels the inevitable presence of the German occupation and specter of what that means for her and her family. bookfessionschica (October 29, 2013). "M.L. Stedman signs my book, The Light Between Oceans 8.15.2013". Meet me at the park: Bookfessions of life and love . Retrieved June 25, 2019.

Success!

Overall this book is very uplifting and positive for me. So much love and light brought to me from reading this book. And especially the story titled The Canarsie Pier made my heart so warm. I am so happy to hear that even though I don’t wish people to kill themselves, ever, I am so happy to know they still go to heaven. They still heal. The science behind time travel and the explaining of quantum physics was done so in a manner that anyone could understand it. I’ve had a fondness for quantum physics since reading Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, so I was intrigued by the concept of a prism that reflected light being used to time travel, or as we learn, a way to alternate dimensions. We were walked through the logistics of it and it was spoken about fluidly and concisely for even an unknowledgable reader.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment