276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Exploding Kittens Mantis Card Games Fun Family Games for Adults Teens & Kids for Game Night, Popular Kid Games, 2-6 players

£13.495£26.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Besides Snap, Mantis is probably the simplest card game I have ever played. And when I say that, I do it without a shred of hypercolour hyperbole or criticism. Yeah, the whole mantis shrimp theme doesn’t really come through in the gameplay at all. I’m going to assume it’s one of those Oatmeal things that I don’t really get since I don’t actively consume the comic content. It doesn’t bother me in any way; it just doesn’t really have anything to do with the game proper. I like a weird theme, but I also like a weird theme that feels integrated into the gameplay in a way that matters, rather than just a weird theme for the sake of a weird theme. Though, I’ll freely admit that a weird theme for its own sake is still better than a boring one. If you announce that you wish to score, draw the top card from the draw pile. Reveal and place it near your tank. A revealed card that matches the color of any card or cards in your tank allows you to score. Remove the revealed card and the matching cards and add them to your score pile. Did you reveal a new color that does not match? You cannot score. The revealed card is left in the tank. Once you begin to get more than one card of the same color, those cards are kept in a staggered column for all players to see. Play passes left. Mantis Falls is a crime thriller set in the 1940s, as two witnesses to a crime (the rulebook leaves it at an ominous “something you were not supposed to see”) look to flee a town under mob rule. Well, you’re told that the other person with you is another witness, anyway. They could actually be the assassin sent to silence you before you escape. As the game progresses, score piles will grow. Players must keep their score pile staggered, and they must say the number of cards they have if asked. The first person to collect ten or more Mantis cards in their score pile wins the game immediately.

With two players, you’ll play mostly normally, with two exceptions. First, you play to 15, not 10. Second, if a player Steals successfully on their turn, they may take another turn immediately after. A player can make multiple consecutive Steals, this way. Player Count Differences Honestly, the simplicity of this game is very appealing. I really like that there are only two actions? It makes the game dead simple to teach other players, and it’s the kind of game that I could see my family actually playing with me (as opposed to the more overtly complex games that I love so much). It reminds me a bit of PUSH, in the “unexpected simple game that’s great within its niche” way. I am not too sure why this is only available in Target - as this title seems like a lot of fun and one to add to my collection of Exploding Kittens titles. Hopefully, we will see this eventually released to a worldwide market later down the line.In each game of Mantis, players are challenged to earn a set number of points by making matches with the cards in their Tank. Exploding Kittens, the company behind games like A Game of Cat& Mouthand Zombie Kittens, released Mantis, a colorful card game inspired by the mantis shrimp. Once players decide how they are going to play on their turn, they flip over the top card of the draw pile. If they’re trying to score in their own Tank and they flip over a card that matches one or more cards in their Tank, they can move these matching cards and the card they drew to their Score Pile. If there is no match, the new card is added to the player’s Tank and their turn is over. Sealing the deal inked by the gameplay is the impeccable atmosphere created by Mantis Falls. Its sepia, typewritten cards are soaked in moonlight and ebbing streetlamps. The few supporting characters encountered by players appear as noir silhouettes, with delightfully pulp descriptions like “Ms Cardello, the woman with volition” and “Mr Edwards, the man with connections”. Events, meanwhile, have terse, evocative names like “purge”, “witch hunt” and “the whistling wind”. With its sparing brushes of theme, it sharply conjures the feeling of crunching along a sidewalk in the cold, dark night, glancing behind you every few steps and listening through the silence for a second set of footsteps. If the player is trying to steal cards from another player and they flip over a card that matches one or more cards in the opponent’s Tank, they can steal the matching cards and place these cards (including the card they drew) in their own Tank. If the card they flipped over doesn’t match any of the cards in their opponent’s Tank, the opponent adds the card to their Tank instead.

Creature Loot Tables also tend to have large amounts of 1% items, which is intended to make stealing more rare items harder, as the player is more likely to steal the large amounts of 1% items than a singular 50% item. There are also special rules for two players which work fine too – effectively, when you steal successfully, you get to have another turn, and the winning threshold is 15 rainbows. Final Thoughts Are you a fan of family titles from Exploding Kittens? You can guarantee at any family get-together, whether it be Christmas, New Year - one particular looney The Oatmeal title will make its way to the table. Whether it be Bears Vs Babies, Throw, Throw Burrito or the classic Exploding Kittens. They are always a bunch of fun, simple to learn and fab for a social atmosphere. There is a chance that the draw pile runs empty before someone collects ten Mantis cards. In this case, the person with the most cards in their score pile wins. If there is a tie, the player with the most cards in their tank wins. TWO PLAYER GAME Mantis is dead simple to play, and I love that. Your goal is to get 10 Mantis Shrimp cards into your Score pile, and you’ll need to steal a few if you want to get there.One of the funniest parts about Mantis is that it’s based on the viral comic from The Oatmeal’s Matthew Inman called “ Why the Mantis Shrimp is my new favorite animal.” A print out of the comic is included with each game, and while it’s not required reading for the game, you must read it simply for the laughs. Readers will be taken on a journey to learn about how these rainbow-colored creatures are more than meets the eye. The comic says that “aquariums don’t typically house mantis shrimps because they tend to slaughter every other creature they share a tank with,” and that is the energy I needed to take with me to play this game. (For legal reasons, that is a joke.) Mantis | Source: Exploding Kittens Also, shout out to Exploding Kittens who has launched its Youth Program outreach in celebration of this new game. The company’s program provides select summer camps and youth organizations with Exploding Kittens games, free of charge. With nearly 1,000 games already fulfilled since January, the company will be adding Mantis to the expanded program to get games in the hands of more kids. ( Organizations looking to participate can join the waitlist.) A swift, sleek assassin found lurking in a flower pot. Resembles a flower with a taste for blood. Drops mantis claw, mantis chunk, and mantis head.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment