276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Court of Thorns and Roses: Sarah J. Maas

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Feyre completes the first task, hunting a giant, carnivorous worm through an underground maze, but she is badly wounded. Feyre is near death when Rhysand comes to her cell and heals her, but not before making a bargain. If she survives the challenges, she must spend a week of every month with him for the rest of her life. He marks her arm and hand with an elaborate tattoo to seal their deal. At night, Rhysand forces Feyre to wear revealing clothing, attend Amarantha’s parties as his guest and flaunts her in front of Tamlin. Tamlin, who is never allowed to see Feyre outside of the challenges, feigns indifference. Feyre and a boy from her village, Isaac, have been meeting in a barn to have sex for two years. Neither has romantic feelings for each other, but they have sex as a reprieve from the sadness and emptiness of their lives. Isaac drinks a contraceptive brew so Feyre won’t get pregnant. This almost reads like bad fanfiction of the first book. I really don't feel like Rhyand and Feyre were destined to be together from the beginning. I felt like maybe Maas initially planned on a love triangle but maybe thought Rhysand was too rough around the edges, and so worked double-time trying to find reasons to excuse all of his behavior and make him supes enamored with the heroine. The greatest death in this series wasn't Junian's or Amarantha's... it was Tamlin's character. I have not been able to post much lately but here we go. A book review for A Court of Thorns and Roses + age rating (FINALLY). This book, which is the first book in a series is a very good book quite exciting and suspenseful but there are some chapters where it gets boring but Sarah J. Maas soon makes up for it with amazing thrilling suspenseful chapters, I really only think it gets dragged on for about 3 chapters before hitting another thrilling turn and honestly while that is a little boring I personally think that sometimes you need a bit of room to breathe especially if a lot of stuff has been happening in the book, I just felt like 3 chapters is dragging it on a little too much though, but that’s just me. Other than that it is a very good book.

I think it wise to read this yourself first, and if you are unwilling to do so, or it's not your style - err on the side of caution and delay a year longer before recommending this to your child. I've just finished it and am happy to let my 15 year old read it. When I was much younger, 12 -13 I discovered much more sexually explicit books and delighted in them, which is all part of growing up. Chances are, if you're questioning if your teenager can handle sexual content - you're too late anyway due to what they've undoubtedly already consumed.

Amarantha points out that she never said when she would release Tamlin from the curse, just that she would. Using magic, Amarantha starts breaking Feyre’s bones, demanding that she confesses that she never loved Tamlin. As she is dying, Feyre finally guesses the answer to the riddle; as specified in the bargain, all of Spring Court is released immediately.

If you were suddenly reborn as an immortal being, what would you find the hardest thing to get used to? Murder, mayhem, mind control, imprisonment, torture, and treachery are part of the landscape and often very personal: "I slew Tamlin's brothers on sight. I held their minds, and rendered them helpless while I cut them into pieces, then melted their brains inside their skulls. And when I got to the High Lord's bedroom -- he was dead. And my father ... had killed Tamlin's mother as well." Even sympathetic characters will break bones or otherwise maim people they want to punish. Powerful characters are perfectly willing to abandon entire countries to horrible fates to save their own. Descriptions of gore, body parts, and gruesome fates -- past, present, and imagined -- are plentiful. One character drinks blood; others are often battered and bleeding. Military training, including hand-to-hand fighting, is part of the story; so is sometimes-mortal combat involving both magic and physical weapons. One of the characters is recently freed from decades of imprisonment as a villainous character's sex slave; several characters are tormented by their own dark deeds of killing and betrayal in Book 1. On a chirpier note though, I'll go drown myself into a hell of a long book-slump because nothing, absolutely nothing can come close to this glorious book while its remnants shine so brightly in my mind. A Court of Mist and Fury made me want to re-read it the second I've finished it -- and re-read again afterwards. It made me want to live in its universe. It made me want to be friends with the characters, tell them how much I adore them and just how precious they all are. It made me feel alive in so many ways that it also rendered me speechless. This book doesn’t hold a whole lot of educational lessons. It’s an adaption from the story The Beauty And The Beast. There’s a bit of mythology.

Strong messages of protecting your loved ones, even at huge cost to yourself, and using your skills and talents for their benefit. Also, discovering who you are and being true to it. An act of kindness early on has important consequences later in the story. For more on how the main romance is perpetuated by gaslighting, a trauma bond, dissociation, sexual assault, sexual harassment, lies, sexual stalking, control, isolation, manipulation, and more, please read this in depth analysis, which also sheds light on the racism and homophobia rampant in SJM's work in general. Celaena Sardothien, heroine of the New York Times bestselling series, rises from the ashes to burn even brighter than before. Did you know you can flag iffy content? Adjust limits for Sex, Romance & Nudity in your kid's entertainment guide. Get started Close

THE THIRD BOOK SHOULD BE CALLED "A COURT OF PAIN AND EMOTIONAL TRAUMA" BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT'S PROBABLY GONNA GO. HERE COMES THE YEAR LONG WAIT. I DON'T THINK I'LL SURVIVE WITHOUT IT LONG ENOUGH. I WANT IT SOOOOO BADLY!!!!! AND THE NIGHT OF STARFALL. OMG MY BABIES. THEY WERE AT THE BALCONY AND THEY WERE SHARING PERSONAL THINGS (I LIVE FOR THESE MOMENTS). AND THE ABSOLUTE MOST ADORABLE THING THAT HAPPENED WAS WHEN THEY BOTH WERE HIT IN THE FACE BY THE STARLIGHT AND LAUGHED. LAUGHED. AND SMILED SO MUCH. FEYRE HADN'T SMILED LIKE THAT IN FOREVER. AND OH DEAR LORD SAVE ME, I'M PICTURING THE GRIN RHYSAND GAVE FEYRE RIGHT NOW AND IT MAKES ME MEEEELLLLTTTT. I JUST SIMPLY CANNOT. Does your 12 year old need to be aware of these issues, no not yet probably. Is it terrible if they are, also no. If they weren't ready for the material - they wouldn't be able to proceed. How the main character battles through her depression has some good lessons when you're of the age to understand them. I would encourage those younger to enjoy other actual teen books and bookmark this one until 18! It isn't even like Rhysand is perfect in this book. His flirting is literally saying things to Feyre that most men would get slapped for. He talks to her like one of those sexist asshats in Madmen. He's constantly talking about her appearance in a creepy way, and he laughs when she's upset that he used her as bait for the Attor. Even their bargain, which ended up allowing him to read her mind, was done without consent, and he certainly doesn't ask for consent every time he reads her mind. At one point, he even says that he could rip her mind apart if he wanted. It's almost like this book was written out with the intention of having him still be the villain and Maas changed her mind halfway through.

Did we miss something on diversity?

Feyre is a strong female protagonist. I, personally, quite liked they way Sarah J. Maas wrote her character. Feyre is smart despite not knowing how to read or write but she’s still able to provide for her family, which I thought was a great message saying that everyone is smart in their own way. Tamlin and Lucien are both very loyal and all three of them make sacrifices for one another. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Nesta and Elain were turned into High Fae. And Lucien is mated with Elain. Crazy, am I right?! Feyre convinces Alis to show her the way to Amarantha’s court Under the Mountain. On her way there, Feyre is caught and taken before the queen. Tamlin pretends to not know Feyre so that Amarantha won’t know how much he cares. Feyre is forced to make a deal with the queen. If she completes three tasks in one a month, Tamlin and all the Fae Courts will be freed. However, she can immediately break the curse and free everyone if she solves a riddle, but if she guesses wrong, she will be tortured and killed. Feyre decides to do the tasks rather than take the chance with an incorrect guess.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment