276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Retreat: The new top ten Sunday Times bestseller from the author of The Sanatorium (Detective Elin Warner Series Book 2)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There is a whodunit theme in the book that may distract you from the real issues each of the characters is going through. I felt that was the biggest red herring in the book. One spends so much time focusing on confirming who the killer is, that all the deep dark stuff suddenly sneaks on you. There are four whiny, horrid, unlikable and duplicitous women. We are given very outlandish and mostly unbelievable reasons why they are this way. These four women do whiny, horrid and horrible things to each other and other women. We are given very outlandish and mostly unbelievable reasons why they do these acts. They go to a retreat. There, they do whiny, horrid, unlikable and duplicitous acts towards each other. But wait, one woman is also a psychopath and murderer.The twists are ridiculous, the psychological explanations flimsy and/or superficial and when people start to die. Oh well ! Score for us on the characters. Pretty daring of you to have only a finite number of characters in this story. Did you not realize that gives heavy odds in our favor of determining who took the little girl? I wouldn’t think a seasoned author like you would make a mistake like that. Go us! The Retreat is a dark and twisted tale of secrets, lies, hate, revenge and murder. It starts with a chilling prologue that had me immediately hooked. A complimentary copy was provided by Thomas and Mercer via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Retreat | Boutique Luxury Hotel in West Berkshire The Retreat | Boutique Luxury Hotel in West Berkshire

Each of the characters were interesting, each with some secret they’re hiding. Ellie seems too perfect, Ariel is running away from something, Kate is in denial about her life and Carmen desperately needs money to help her family survive. None of them are particularly likeable but I think it works well for this story. I had no idea how this story was going to unfold, and I’m happy to say that I enjoyed where it ended up. Well done, sir.Two years ago, Julia's life changed forever. Her husband drowned trying to save their daughters life (they believed their daughter fell in the river when they weren't looking). Now Julia has converted their home into a writer's retreat. She buried her husband two years ago, but her daughter's body was never found. She clings to the belief that her daughter is still alive as her body was never found. Full of spooky folklore and legends and scary ghost stories, this one definitely had me jumping at the slightest sounds and turning on all the lights in the house.

THE RETREAT | Kirkus Reviews

I liked how there wasn't 100s of characters and you got to read from each of the four ladies perspectives. Will you brave The Retreat this summer? The new bestselling thriller from the author of The Sanatorium.

The townspeople believe that Lily was sacrificed to The Red Widow, a witch that eats the souls of young children. An urban legend, no different from Bloody Mary or the Boogey Man, but the problem with small towns, is that there is someone that always believes, and when you believe, fear can be a powerful motivator. The Retreat” is yet another holistic-health-retreat book (think Liane Moriarty’s Nine Perfect Strangers), with a dark and suspenseful twist.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment