276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Perfect Lie: The addictive and unmissable heart-pounding thriller

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Having moved to New York five years ago following a family tragedy, Erin's fortune changed when she met her now husband, police detective Danny. With Our Blessing, a police procedural featuring Detective Inspector Tom Reynolds, was snapped up by Quercus in 2015. Ten best-selling novels have followed. I wanted to deal with it in the most compassionate way. Sadly, whilst ending their own lives is solving a problem, it's creating a problem for everyone else and I wanted to capture the grief that Erin was experiencing." So mystery #2 is what do Lauren and Ally have to do with Erin? Not telling, but it is important. I did feel that these sections were a little long winded and repetitive in places, hence the 'only just short of the full five stars' rating. Spain knows how to write a twisty mystery, Inspired by the challenges of facing adversity and tragedy whilst living abroad. Erin as an Irish woman who has escaped a painful past by moving to the US and marrying an American detective. Living in New York, far from Erin’s parents and the family dynamics that have split them apart.

The Perfect Lie: the gripping new psychological thriller from the The Perfect Lie: the gripping new psychological thriller from the

The story is told in “then” and “now” chapters and the book slowly reveals Erin’s emotional journey leading up to the incident and then how she finds herself standing trial for her husband’s murder many months later.But Erin has friends, some of them new friends, that come to her aid after Danny's death. With the alternating timelines things are very confusing although I did figure out a lot of what was going on before the halfway mark. Still, I enjoyed seeing how the story played out and I plan to investigate more of Jo Spain's work. Erin Kennedy moves to America from Ireland following a family tragedy. She meets and subsequently marries Danny who is a policeman and that’s all I’m going to say as it’s much better to dive in blindly with this one! The story is told in varying timelines. How well do you know your spouse? This really forms the central question to Spain’s new mystery, and it’s something you will ask many times as the story unfolds from it’s jaw-dropping opening chapter to the final tying up of threads. If you are looking for a domestic thriller that stands apart from others in the genre by clever layering of multiple elements and by withholding just the right details to keep you guessing, then give this book a go!

The Perfect Lie: an addictive and unmissable thriller full of shocking The Perfect Lie: an addictive and unmissable thriller full of

Erin realises that she didn't really know Danny at all. What she learns about him after his death makes her question everything. The police are not talking and she feels like she is losing her mind. She has no other family in the US and very few friends. She doesn't believe him to capable of what he is being accused and sets out to find the truth.With the hefty word count comes an obvious hefty cast of characters with many likely suspects and red herrings and potential victims but Spain’s characterisation was good enough to cause no confusion with who was who. Erin was a likeable leading lady and I couldn’t help but cheer her on. Karla, her lawyer, was a standout from the supporting characters and I wouldn’t be surprised if she turned up in another of Spain’s books one day.

The Perfect Lie: The addictive and unmissable heart-pounding thriller The Perfect Lie: The addictive and unmissable heart-pounding

Erin, now (December 2020)- current day dealing with Erin on trial some seventeen months after Danny's death; and The pair live happily in the idyllic seaside town of Newport, Long Island. But when Erin answers the door to Danny's police colleagues one morning, she's astonished to turn around and see her husband jump to his death out the window of their fourth-floor apartment.

If there was a hiccup or critique, it was that most of the story is told from Erin’s first person point of view except for a few chapters which are told from the point of view of another female character, Ally. Ally’s boyfriend’s identity needs to be kept secret from the reader for quite a while so as not to give too much away leading to Ally constantly referring to ‘my boyfriend’ ending up a little clunky. Maybe Spain could have simply said ‘he’ now and then to break up the weirdness of this part.

Perfect Lie - Play Perfect Lie Game Online - Lagged Perfect Lie - Play Perfect Lie Game Online - Lagged

What an explosive start to a novel with a husband plunging to his death from an apartment building, over four floors down. Although my heart went out to the man’s wife Erin, I was immediately suspicious of this situation, my alarm bells were ringing – loud! I had so many questions in the opening stages of this book and these doubts also continued for the duration of the story. Spain takes a slow drip approach to her novel, gradually dropping clues, revelations and surprising moments for the reader to jostle with. As I worked to solve this puzzle, I thought I had made some important in-roads, but Spain would issue yet another game changing clue that would throw my theories completely into oblivion. She is currently on-set in Dublin for the filming of her new eight-part thriller, Harry Wild, starring Jane Seymour. The Grammy and Golden Globe-winning actress plays a recently retired English professor who cannot help but take an active interest in the criminal cases assigned to her police detective son. She is also working on her 2022 novel: The Drowning is about "an Englishman who travels to Lapland where his sister has died in pretty horrific circumstances". For me, the Harvard chapters were repetitive and if there had been half as many of them, we would have been treated to a shorter book and a faster pace. This novel has one of the most dramatic openings I have ever read. Following the early morning arrival of his police colleagues at his apartment door, Detective Danny Ryan runs to his balcony and jumps to his death in front of his wife. After that compelling scene, I was immediately pulled in to needing to find out why that happened.Spain also has a burgeoning career as a scriptwriter. She made her screenwriting debut with the 2018 RTÉ Dublin crime drama Taken Down, which she co-wrote with Love/Hate's Stuart Carolan. Talking of characters as is expected with a Jo Spain novel they are perfect for the story and range from likeable to loathsome

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment