276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Infirmary: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 11)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Having enjoyed the Ryan Series thus far I was a little hesitant when I heard that we were straying away from the norm (and brilliance of Jonathan Keeble's narration), and venturing into an audio drama. It is a quality production. Many of the cast are household names - Tom Bateman as Ross, Kevin Whately as Phillips, and Bertie Carvel was absolutely chilling when speaking the killer's inner thoughts! The dialogue felt completely natural and the story moves along at a good pace. Hermione Norris's narration was also impeccable. I could listen to her all day! In fact I did! Nothing much got done yesterday so that I could give all my attention to this! The killer is one slippery and smooth character, and Bertie Carvel perfectly voiced the internal thoughts of the killer, I love this actor anyway, but now listening to him it gave me chills. Too many!!! Nonetheless, it is the vintage crime authors such as Agatha Christie and Daphne du Maurier, which have had the most influence on her work with her DCI Ryan Mysteries. After practicing law for nearly ten years in London, the stressful environment and the long hours began to take their toll. The DCI Ryan books delve into the history of North East England, using local myths, legends and cults to drum up plots. While the books have been advertised as intense thrillers, they are hardly the darkest psychological dramas in the world.

The Infirmary: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries The Infirmary: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries

Audible releasing a dramatized version of the story is also a first for any LJ Ross book: it veers away from the traditionally narrated set up with a multicast drama. I was really impressed by how incredibly well it worked! I would close my eyes, listen to the story and picture everything like a TV show in my head. (Note to self: don’t do that while driving and listening to it in the car.) To find out more about the many philanthropic ventures Louise has founded and sponsored through her publishing imprint, Dark Skies Publishing, please visit ‘Philanthropy’. With a passion for writing and reading, a writing career seemed the most plausible way to express her creativity. The idea for the first novel in the series came while she was traveling to Edinburgh with her husband. I have listened to all of the DC Ryan books on audible and each time I finish one I can’t wait to listen to the next one. I think they are very well written and the stories are very well balanced. I do hope there are going to be some more. Reply Murder and mystery are peppered with dark humour in this fast-paced crime thriller, set amidst the iconic North-Eastern landscape. ​

CONTACT

I loved Hermione Norris narrating this, as the tempo and the threat of the book increased, so did her narration just like it would if you were reading the book by yourself. The panic knowing what was happening, it was there, the fear of what might happen, it was there. My god it was just epic (I have said that already!) The DCI Ryan novels begin with ‘Holy Island’. Holy Island is an actual place. They call it Lindisfarne. Located in North East England, the island is rich with history and tourists from all over the world visit it with the intention of exploring that history. Brilliant story, with great characters, a superbly played evil psychopath, all put together by a great performance. I have really enjoyed listening to these books which Jonathan Keeble brings to life I do hope there will be more Reply There is an event that happens in Ryan’s past that the author touches on in the series and this has been something I have been dying to read about. Well the author did not disappoint. My goodness what an absolute roller coaster of a read!

The Infirmary: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries)

LJ Ross is an internationally bestselling author, whose books have sold over 7 million copies worldwide. L. J. Ross (Author), Tom Bateman (Narrator), Bertie Carvel (Narrator), Hermione Norris (Narrator), Kevin Whately (Narrator), Audible Originals (Publisher) & Maxwell Finley-Ryan, known simply as ‘Ryan’, is insightful, intelligent and compassionate—both to the living and the dead whom he is tasked to avenge. A born leader, he inspires others to be the best they can be and, more importantly, to hope for the best in others, even in the darkest of times. With an unyielding moral compass and an irreverent sense of humour, he is utterly incorruptible. Where he loves, he loves fiercely. Police procedural mystery/romantic suspense series set in Northumbria, England following Detective Chief Inspector Ryan. What a terrible waste of time. Nothing at all like expected.enjoyed all previous books by Ross but not this one won't try anymore.I keep getting distracted by talking about the production and not the story, I can only apologise! Because to be honest they go hand in hand, the storyline was epic, the killer on the loose was scary as hell, how was he getting to the victims, and when one is way way way too close to home, well things go a bit crazy. Just finished The Shrine recommended to me by local library. Really enjoyed the story and it’s characters. Wish I’d started from the 1st book, but will continue with the one after this. I have read all Shetland books, but have enjoyed DCI Ryan equally, perhaps even more. In May 2021, Louise was shortlisted for the prestigious Crime Writers’ Association ‘Dagger in the Library’ award, which recognises an author’s entire body of work having been consistently enjoyed by library borrowers around the United Kingdom, and an author’s longstanding support of libraries. book 11 – The infirmary is a prequel which on the book list says “Chronologically, The Infirmary is a prequel to the series and should be read first”. I just wanted to echo a message earlier, this definitely should be made into a TV drama, I’ve read them all twice 🙂 Reply

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment