276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Batman Who Laughs

£13.605£27.21Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So Batman, who’s been dealing with punk-ass villains up until this time, is at first in over his head:

It’s unsurprising that the legendary writer Ed Brubaker is behind one of the most paramount stories in Batman’s lore, the very mystery that introduces Batman to the Clown Prince of Crime. With his perfect grasp over noir fiction, this origin story impeccably captures the detective mystery that encapsulates the Joker’s sudden introduction to Gotham City. Throughout this adventure, with both Bruce Wayne and James Gordon’s first-person narration to immerse readers into their respective minds, you embark on a journey to try and elucidate the Joker’s modus operandi. Despite the hints he leaves around the city, his terrifying public performances through media outlets, his comical, goofy, yet deadly persona, he somehow still remains a giant question mark in the face of the Dark Knight as he tries to desperately connect the dots. Is he the Red Hood? Is he a deranged psychopath escaped from a psych ward? Is he out there on a mission or cluelessly prancing around in the anarchy he creates? Rest assured, writer Ed Brubaker perfectly delivers this story with deadly charm and charisma.Discover the answer in The Batman Who Laughs--a terrifying reimagining of one of comics' greatest heroes--and villains--from the premier Batman writer of our time! A war like no other--a war of the Batmen--has begun. As Batman's closest friends, deadliest enemies, and doppelgängers from across the Multiverse get caught in the crossfire, only one question Who will have the last laugh? I absolutely loved this story , feeling this to be an essential read for all Batman fans , the art might put off a few people but i absolutely love this kind of art , and for it's time it does remarkably well in not making any sexual or suggestive female characters come into the story .

Given that Alan Moore has already completed the definitive story on the origin of The Joker as well as his first meeting with Batman, this had a lot to live up to. Could Brubaker create an instant classic? Could he introduce us to The Joker in a way that was fresh and memorable? Discover the answer in The Batman Who Laughs–a terrifying reimagining of one of comics’ greatest heroes–and villains–from the premier Batman writer of our time! On top of The Man Who Laughs graphic novel, this volume also includes a never-before-reprinted Elseworlds tale called Batman: Gotham Noir. Alongside his own partner-in-crime artist Sean Phillips, this collaboration beautiful captures their style of narrative and visual storytelling, giving us a stellar noir mystery centered around James Gordon as he weaves his way in and out of complicated situations to ultimately unveil his own internal and personal struggle to overcome his haunting past. This is an excellent addition to this deluxe edition as previous volumes never included this story before. But most of all, this was just a really entertaining story. It’s not as dark and brooding as Year One or the 2008 Dark Knight movie. This is not a story that dives deep into the Joker’s psychological profile. Instead it’s a fun, fast-paced adventure with a lot of action and some excellent art. Ed Brubaker did the Joker justice with this tale, which I’d rate 4.5 stars. Surprisingly, I preferred the second tale over The Man Who Laughs. I thought Gordon's dialogue and inner monologue were fantastic. I think I enjoyed the story on a much higher level overall.

Don’t worry, Batman. There are plenty more billionaires in Gotham City. The Joker can't kill them all. Right?

While sampling of the digital (most notably in the audio form) has been around for decades the cultural process running underneath that creative process has been around since the dawn of Humanity. Truly there is nothing new under (this) sun and Brubaker here well exemplifies this archaic axiom by recycling yet another industry and cultural standard. However, the references employed here are mixed with only minor additions of the original. Banking on its utilization of well-known samples in lieu of forging its own additions of original content, for more thoughtful takes on the Batman mythos, most notably and recently Alan Moore and Christopher Nolan’s seminal contributions to the Caped Crusader’s mythology, ultimately Brubaker’s forged homunculus feels more paper-thin pastiche than anything in drab comparison.

Become a Member

This was a retelling of the jokers debut, with the whole modern Batman retelling taking place , the events took place soon after Batman introduced himself to Captain Gordon and took down (but failed to unmask) The Red Hood . The second half of the book is a boring 3-shot story of Batman and the original Green Lantern Alan Scott as they try and solve a 50 year old murder mystery of a killer called "Made of Wood". I'm not a Green Lantern fan so I wasn't so keen on this and it has nothing to do with the Joker so I have no idea why it's twinned with the first story. A war like no other–a war of the Batmen–has begun. As Batman’s closest friends, deadliest enemies, and doppelgängers from across the Multiverse get caught in the crossfire, only one question remains: Who will have the last laugh?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment