276°
Posted 20 hours ago

HyperX HX-KB1SS2-UK Alloy FPS RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Kailh Silver Speed Switches (UK Layout)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The HyperX Alloy FPS RGB is a mechanical gaming keyboard that should appeal to a lot of people. It has a full-size 104/105-key layout, pretty RGB illumination, a well-considered design and light, linear Speed Silver switches. Here are my thoughts after testing the keyboard for four weeks. Clean, thoughtful design The switches are made by Kailh, using the usual Cherry MX designs. Kailh is one of the most popular and well-respected switch makers, so this is a sensible choice even though some purists insist on OG Cherry switches. I personally can’t feel a massive difference between speed switches made by the two companies. Wrapping up

HP’s MSRP is subject to discount. HP’s MSRP price is shown as either a stand-alone price or as a strike-through price with a discounted or promotional price also listed. Discounted or promotional pricing is indicated by the presence of an additional higher MSRP strike-through price The Zones tab has several templates corresponding to different genres of games. FPS lights up the WASD and other commonly used keys in shooters. MMO illuminates WASD and the number keys. MOBA targets QWER as well as D, F, and ENTER. RTS applies to A, S, CTRL, ALT, numbers 1 to 5, and ENTER. The additional 5 Zones mode breaks up the entire keyboard into five different colored zones. Finally, you can choose to set a lighting preset to any of these zones if you prefer something a little spicier than a solid color, as well as use the Customize button to create your own zone template. The Alloy FPS RGB uses a “floating keys” design, which exposes the switches to more dust and debris but makes cleaning slightly easier – and looks fantastic. The keyboard feels well-built, with a metal top-plate and no flex evident when I gave the board a good twist. There is a subtle chamfer along the keyboard’s edges, which looks good and is comfier to rest your fingers on than a boxier design. Cercavo una tastiera tenkeyless, cioè senza tastierino numerico, e ho trovato in assoluto una delle migliori se non LA migliore.Overall, the Speed Silvers feel like hair-trigger Cherry MX Reds, and that might not be a feel that everybody can get along with. The Kailhs are as easy to mistakenly actuate as MX Speeds without the advantage of their swift, pure stroke. If you exercise care in your typing technique, these switches can serve well , but if you’re a habitual key-smasher, you might find them too sensitive for day-to-day use. HyperX really ought to consider broadening the range of switch options it offers on the Alloy FPS RGB as a result. Despite their name and spec-sheet similarity to the Cherry MX Speed Silver switches that Corsair uses in its boards, though, the Kailh Speed Silver switches feel nothing like their competition. Part of this may be because the stroke of the Kailh switches doesn’t follow a truly linear travel-to-actuation-force curve, something that Nathan’s review of the Cherry MX Speed LP switches on the Corsair K70 MK.2 Low Profile Rapidfire opened my eyes to. To get started with all the fun features of HyperX NGenuity, you first need to select a profile. Upon booting up, you’ll only see the default profile: a Wave lighting preset with no macros. However, this profile can be customized to your heart’s content, or you can create a new one. For the RGB LED-entranced, Ngenuity’s “Effects” tab offers the user seven prebaked lighting effects. Each of its prebaked effects can generally be set up to use a single color or dual colors of the user’s choice, and they can also trigger random colors chosen by the software.

HyperX’s Alloy FPS keyboard earned a TR Recommended award in days past for its no-nonsense design, quality construction, Cherry switches, and software-free setup, but no gaming-peripheral company worth its salt these days can ignore the demands of the RGB LED-hungry masses. A little while ago, HyperX melded those multicolor LEDs with its no-frills gaming keyboard to make the Alloy FPS RGB. I’ve been typing on this board for some time now, and I’m ready to issue my verdict. In today’s crowded mechanical keyboard market, it’s easy for a company to miss the sweet spot of build quality, features, and value. I think HyperX has hit the bullseye with the Alloy FPS RGB, though, especially if you’re a fiend for the dry and pleasant feel of PBT key caps and want to add a set to your typing experience. But when HyperX says you can feel the difference with these switches, they aren’t straining credibility. You barely have to touch a key to register a keystroke. At first, I was amazed by this, then instantly booted up several games and found that, as the keyboard’s name implies, these switches were amazing for FPS games. In-game, it felt almost as if my keyboard was reacting before I did, which helped ensure I could drop a grenade before I died in Halo Online and deliver justice from beyond the grave.Lastly, the keycaps felt a bit harsh on my fingers, almost abrasive. I've seen mention online that they need some breaking in, but it was very noticeable after a couple hours, at which point I moved to the above-mentioned, smoother Milk Puddings that I bought along with the board. Kailh switches like those on this board do use standard Cherry stems, so changing keycaps is a simple affair with the myriad keycap sets available online. If you're unhappy with these that is. Cherry MX Speeds feel as though they have a completely linear, uncushioned actuation curve to go with their light actuation force and high trigger point, so they feel as light and crisp as their specs suggest. The Kailh Speed Silver switches have the high actuation point of the Cherry switches, but they also have a distinct cushioned feel at the end of their stroke that stands in stark contrast to the Cherry switches. As a result, the Kailh switches feel less speedy than the Cherry switches do, despite their similarity on paper. I’m finding the Kailh switches a bit noisier than the equivalent Cherry switches, but that’s the only noticeable difference. Both are extremely lightweight keys and take a bit of getting used to, especially when typing. The switches require so little force and the actuation is so close to the top, it’s easy to brush keys and make mistakes. While the keyboard's performance isn't as imperative in single-player and MMO titles, it did just fine in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and World of Warcraft, too.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment