276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Boxer

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Told over the course of the ten rounds of his first fight, this is the story of amateur boxer Sunny. Sunny eventually seeks content at a boxing gym and this is where the story really escalates; Sunny expresses his self through the art of boxing and manages to break free from stereotypes. The language is simple and reflects Boxer's naivety, he is the strongest animal on the farm but does nothing when conditions get worse. An engaging story which could spark an interesting discussion about being a bystander to racism, the dangers of stereotyping and how easy it is to become radicalised. I have zero interest in boxing, so the fact that this novel utterly absorbed me should tell you something!

The Boxer – Nikesh Shukla – Heath Books The Boxer – Nikesh Shukla – Heath Books

The Home Office reported that religious hate crimesrose by 40%, from 5,949 in 2016-17 to 8,336 in 2017-18. This book allows the reader to observe the everyday struggles of British teens from different backgrounds and based on differing perspectives.

Set in Bristol, the narrative cuts between the past, in the days immediately preceding and following the attack, and the present, where Sunny is taking part in his first fight after months of training with his new mentor, Shobu. Not a coming out novel or even a coming-of-age yarn, this is more of a growing-into-one's-self story about one bristly London transport, who stumbles into a gym after being violently attacked for his brown complexion. Boxer, who has now had time to think things over, voiced the general feeling by saying "If Comrade Napoleon says it, it must be right.

Best Books on Boxing and Boxers (204 books) - Goodreads Best Books on Boxing and Boxers (204 books) - Goodreads

This is a very powerful story about a very topical issue of race relations and the rise of far-right conservatism and violence. The Boxer is a penetrating look at the dangers of the rise in racism in post-Brexit Britain, where right-wing extremists feel validated in their fear and dislike of anyone they see as different to themselves. yet devastatingly current in the manifestation of the modern racial climate forcing readers to acknowledge and realise, more than once, the inherent racism still alive and well in the contemporary society we all inhabit. But racial tensions are rising in the city, and when a Far Right march through Bristol turns violent, Sunny is faced with losing his new best friend Keir to radicalisation. He also behaved as if he was in Year 9, rather than Year 12 and on his way to uni, when he dealt with the people around him throughout the novel.Hansen Gill Hasson Gill Lewis Ginny Myers Sain Giovanni Tesio Glenn Elliott Graeme Guthrie Graeme Wood Graham Jones Guy Gunaratne Guy Standing H. Orwell uses Boxer to show that without the benefit of learning, he cannot express himself and so he will never be able to speak out against the pigs. As bad as it is, the parts about the march were so believable - if I opened BBC news and saw a news story about a real march like that, I wouldn't be surprised. Roger the Boxer: I am just passing through’ is an interesting read, the life and times of a working class Cockney battled through in ‘a mostly catastrophic manner’. Despite being the strongest animal on the farm, Boxer cannot lead a rebellion of his own against the pigs.

The Boxer by Nikesh Shukla – I Read, Therefore I Blog The Boxer by Nikesh Shukla – I Read, Therefore I Blog

A. Paris Babita Sharma Barnaby Norman Becka Moor Becky Goddard-Hill Becky Masterman Bella Swift Ben Aaronovitch Ben Clanton Benedict Jacka Ben Grisdale Ben Hubbard Benjamin Percy Ben Mantle Ben Sanders Bernard Marr Beth Greenhough Beth Keane Beth Lincoln Beth Macy Bimmy Talib Bimpe Alliu Black Cultural Archives Bong Dazo Bradley Schmidt Brendan Kearney Brenna Nation Britta Teckentrup Brittney Morris Bronwyn Parry Bruce Hood Bruno Mangyoku Bryan Appleyard C. When Sunny suffers a brutal racist attack at a train station, he finally finds the community he’s been seeking in Easton’s Gym, where he learns to box and fight to be seen human again.

All this makes it sound like I could definitely have rated this higher than I did, but I think what I struggled with at times was the writing style.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment