276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The H. P. Lovecraft Collection

£24.995£49.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Another classic Lovecraft novella, and probably his best-known work after Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness describes a failed (to put it lightly) Antarctic expedition as recounted by Professor William Dyer. Upon arriving at their base, Dyer and his colleagues are thrilled to unearth the remains of a previously undiscovered prehistoric species — some specimens of which are in perfect condition. However, their excitement soon turns to terror as they realize that these “specimens” may not be so lifeless after all. THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH-HOUSE is my second favorite and the only one that actually gave me goosebumps while reading it for the first time in bed at night. This story of a math student who decides to rent a room in a cursed house in which a witch and her hellish amalgam of a familiar are said to have lived is downright disturbing and creepy and just too well written for comfort. Which makes it yet another masterpiece in the Lovecraft canon. I want to start by saying that I can totally grasp and appreciate the astonishing genius of the seminal work by HP Lovecraft . I read the entire book. I get it. That's why I rounded my rating up to three stars. After reading each story I gave an individual 1-5 star rating. The mean, median and mode scores were respectively 2.7, 2.5 and 2.5 stars. There were more stories that scored below 3 stars than ones that scored 3 stars or higher. I even did a weighted ranking where I gave more importance to his more popular and/or longer stories, but the result was still only 2.9 stars. The Mound is another classic Lovecraft novella detailing a rich (but much less benign) non-human culture. This time it’s that of the K'n-yan, an underground civilization with an above-ground portal that’s hidden by a mound of earth. Our narrator uncovers this portal and an accompanying scroll written in Spanish, which gives an account of the last man to visit K'n-yan: explorer Pánfilo de Zamacona y Nuñez.

Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales by H.P. Lovecraft | Goodreads Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales by H.P. Lovecraft | Goodreads

When I was a teenage wannabe Satanist, I shoplifted this and was very disappointed that this was all I got for my petty theft. The last element of HPL that should be looked at is his myth. Here is the one place where HPL shines. His creation of an ante-diluvian world of races not human on earth and others that came from off of earth is fascinating and worthy of study. Given the amount of fiction and 'fan-fiction' which his 'Cthulian' mythos has generated HPL remains a significant presence in the world of genre fiction--and, yes, there is a difference between genre and literature. For this reason, and this reason alone, HPL remains a writer worth revisiting.

Where to start?

Before Lovecraft, horror was about killers, kidnappers, ghosts - human faults and sins and divine (or other) punishment in the sense of you reap what you sow. Lovecraft instead creates a vision of a vast cosmos completely indifferent to humans, and their earthly bullsh*t, filled with forces before which we are helpless, which we cannot hope to understand, and which would destroy our minds if we only saw or knew. We could categorize him as a writer of cosmic horror. You also have Lovecraft to thank for a raft of awesome boardgames and RPGs, from the classic Call of Cthulhu to Eldritch Horror and Cthulhu Wars. Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

H.P. Lovecraft - Lovecraft Stories The complete works of H.P. Lovecraft - Lovecraft Stories

Il volume contiene le opere di H. P. Lovecraft scritte tra il 1917 e il 1935. È perfetto per chi voglia immergersi nella sua produzione letteraria e conoscere appieno i suoi incubi e il suo collegamento con i simboli dell'inconscio. I stole the following from /r/lovecraft: "One time, this guy went to a place, and it was SO spooky. But, being a man of science, and of an inquisitive mind, he continued going to the spooky place, and damn was it spooky.

Table of Contents

This 1936 novella sees Lovecraft return to writing about strange creatures, namely the Great Race of Yith, aliens who can travel through space and time. The main human character of the story is Professor Nathaniel Wingate Peaslee, who unexpectedly finds his own consciousness linked to that of a Yithian. Though at first Peaslee worries that he is losing his mind, he’s reassured by the existence of many similar cases before his… and then plunged into terror again, when he realizes the identity of the culprit. Written between the years 1917 and 1935, this collection features Lovecraft’s trademark fantastical creatures and supernatural thrills , as well as many horrific and cautionary science-fiction themes , that have influenced some of today’s important writers and filmmakers, including Stephen King, Alan Moore, F. Paul Wilson, Guillermo del Toro, and Neil Gaiman. Mysteries of Time and Spirit: The Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Donald Wandrei ( ISBN 1-892389-49-5)

The HP Lovecraft Collection: H.P. Lovecraft: 9781785992728

The five star rating for this book is not because I think every story (or even most of them) were 5 stars, or because Lovecraft was a great writer (though I do think he was a better writer than he's often given credit for). It's because these stories are essential reading. Like him or hate him, Lovecraft casts a long, dark shadow over all of American fantasy and horror, and in fact, the stories are mostly pretty good, in a very dated way. Yes, Lovecraft wrote purple. Yes, his characterization is usually pretty thin. And yes, he was a horrible racist and it shows in his writing. But no one who touched this genre after him has been untouched by it, and if you have ever been awed or frightened or scared by a tale of eldritch horrors, unfathomable beings from beyond time and space, bubbling squamous obscenities so horrible that the very sight of them will erode your sanity, or vast, alien, cosmic gods inimical to humans and regarding us the way we regard germs... well, that's all Lovecraftian influence. Lovecraft loved him a fictional New England town full of inexplicable phenomena. The Dunwich Horror follows the development of Wilbur Whateley, a child who matures at a freakish rate, becoming a full-grown man in just a few years. His grandfather, Old Whateley, takes Wilbur under his wing, as Wilbur’s mother is crippled and unstable and his father is mysteriously absent. Old Whateley teaches Wilbur the ways of dark sorcery and witchcraft; the locals fear and avoid them. However, they do take note of the odd circumstances surrounding the Whateleys’ cattle, which occasionally disappear. Four novellas and fifty-three short stories from a great but very odd man. All of them in the horror mood. The Colour Out of Space The Colour Out of Space was Lovecraft's favorite tale and shares the story of the "blasted heath" a patch of land where nothing grows or lives caused by a mysterious meteorite that lands on a remote farm deep in the forests of Arkham.

H.P. Lovecraft Collection

En otras reseñas hay gente que dice que las paginas son blancas en lugar de sepia o crema y es verdad, se puede ver en las fotos, aunque a mi no me molesta. También es cierto que tiende a transparentarse un poco, pero solo donde hay grandes zonas en blanco. En paginas normales donde hay texto, unas lineas de separación, otro párrafo, etc. no se transparenta nada. There is nothing the tiniest bit scary here (other than the aforementioned racism). When Lovecraft isn't ripping off better writers, like Mary Shelley - whose "Frankenstein" obviously served as inspiration for tales like "Herbert West: Reanimator" - Lovecraft is just writing about the same alien-like creatures who are rarely if ever seen but who cause the male protagonists to faint all the same. The Dunwich Horror and Others (9th corrected printing), S. T. Joshi (ed.), 1984. ( ISBN 0-87054-037-8)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment