276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Face

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At this point Martin knew something terrible had happened to his face. His heart pounded in his chest. He shifted his eyes to the left and saw his father standing over him. If there’s one thing that Martin is sure about, it’s that life is pretty good to him. But life – as Martin is about to find out – has a habit of throwing the unexpected at you. I really wanted to like this book. The cover is good and thought provoking and the concept behind it was really interesting. I feel like if it had been executed better this book could have been brilliant. Unfortunately it wasn't. This book will not only be enjoyed by teen readers for its entertaining story, but also for its statement about prejudice. Zephaniah is not just telling a story of a brave and inspiring young man, he is also teaching readers an important lesson through the voice of Martin." - VOYA In the moving and compelling debut novel from Benjamin Zephaniah, a young man's life is completely changed when his face is badly scarred in a car accident.

If you are looking for something grounded in reality which manages to perfectly balance issues around discrimination and prejudice towards appearance, race, culture, and personal interest, then this is a MUST read.

I read this book as an adult and compulsorily, even though I would say it would be a great piece of reading for a teenager. However, I loved it. I adore the way Zephaniah writes, but what I really liked about it is how, in a very simple way, he shows how people get to realize what they do to others once they suffer the same on themselves (and that's a pity.) The other characters are additionally well written - with their portrayals remaining relatable throughout, thanks to Zephaniah's realistic youth dialogue. Fleshing out a very clear world these young characters live in, with the change in dialogue between speaking with their child counterparts and adults conveying an accurate fictional narrative, within a non-fictional setting.

It’s just a little too shaky in places, and whilst there aren’t any overt mistakes in terms of grammar and punctuation, I did occasionally find myself being jerked out of the story when somebody behaved strangely or said something unusual. You could tell it was purely for the sake of advancing the moral. And then there was the part where Zephaniah said it was a Friday, and in the following scene it was “the next day” and still Friday, somehow. This would be an excellent prompt for discussion about prejudices regarding appearance and our reaction to those less fortunate than ourselves. As much as I adore Benjamin Zephaniah's poetry and his presence when he reads, I'm not as certain in my feelings towards Face. While the sentiment of the story is nice enough (I really could not think of a more fitting word than 'nice'), the prose was a little stilted for me and there were some odd moments of characterisation that didn't endear me towards anyone in particular. I would have liked for there to be more depth to Martin; he felt unfinished as a character. Martin seems to have it all. He's cool, funny, and he's the undisputed leader of the Gang of Three, who roam their East London estate during the holidays looking for fun. But one night after the Gang leave a late night rap club, Martin accepts a ride from Pete, a Raider's Posse gang member. Too late, he realises that the car is stolen, and that the police are after them. Martin's life looks good with a model for a girlfriend, the best gymnast in school, and as a class clown. But, his life is drastically changed by one choice - to get into a car unknowingly with a stoned driver. Martin is left to deal with the burns he received after the car rolled and blew up. Through this trial he discovers who his true friends are, the difference between love and lust, and what it really means to be beautiful.This book is amazing and i would recommend it to 12-15 year olds, it has comedy, romance and lots more. I did like his friends from after the accident the Jamaican sisters and Anthony. I thought that they were interesting and unique characters and I would have loved to learn more about them. Martin thinks he has his life sorted. He is good looking, funny and the undisputed leader of the gang of three. Until one night he accepts a ride home in a stolen car, and the police give chase. What happens next will change Martin inside and out. Because for some people, life is only skin deep… With this being my 3rd reading of 'Face' (reading the book twice, and the play once), I still love this book and the message it teaches the reader.

What i like about this book is that it has taught me that beauty and looks don't matter. And it has all the different genres in it. What happens next will change Martin's life and looks, and show him the true meaning of strength, courage, discrimination and friendship.Face is a 1999 British novel by British-Jamaican author and poet Benjamin Zephaniah. It is about a young boy who suffers facial injuries in a joyriding accident. Face has also been adapted as a stage play. [1] It follows the story of Martin, a British teenager living in east London, and how his and his friends and family’s life changed after a horrific car crash. Martin is a fortunate teenager; he has a crowd of mates and a stunning girlfriend. Unfortunately he makes one bad decision and ends up in hospital with serious facial burns. He has to come to terms with his new appearance, his parents' reaction to his injuries, and then his friends and the rest of the school. It's a lot to deal with and we travel with Martin on this journey of self discovery. The first problem I had was with Martin and his two friends called Matthew and Mark, it took me until the accident to be able to differentiate between the two of them and at that point they became much small characters. While they seemed like they could have been more interesting it also seemed as though they were assigned one character trait and that was the whole basis of who they were. Little depth was given to them.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment