276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Wolfbane (Wolf Brother)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This was a brilliant story, full of excitement and adventure. It was very fast-paced which made it extremely difficult to put down. There is one obstacle after another put in Torak's way and I lost count of the number of cliff-hangers at the end of the chapters. It was also great to see some of the characters who have featured briefly in earlier books and for them to get their own stories explored in more detail too. I particularly loved seeing Dark again and I was very happy with how his storyline was concluded. Paver researched extensively while developing the book. In addition to academic study, she travelled to north-eastern Finland, where she trekked with a field guide over 300 miles across the forests. To understand life in the New Stone Age, they used tools and clothing that would have been available 6000 years ago, slept in a traditional laavu shelter in a sleeping bag made of reindeer skin, and ate only foods that Stone-Age hunter-gatherers would have. In addition, she spent time at a wolf reserve studying the wolves and observing their behavior, and also named the main character "Torak." From the one of the wolves in the UK Wolf Conservation Trust. [7] I had to say goodbye again to my favourite YA series of all time. It was intense from beginning to end. Michelle Paver creates such a rich atmosphere and crafts tension so well.

Hord is Renn's brother. He unknowingly helps Tenris, who's acting as a 'crippled wanderer' create a demon by capturing a young bear. Throughout the first book Hord behaves stubbornly, and fueled by guilt, believes that he must deliver Torak's blood to the World Spirit himself. In the end, he follows Torak to the Mountain of the World Spirit and tries to kill him, he fails and he and the bear are killed by an avalanche created by the World Spirit. Wolfbane' is the ninth and final book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. I can still remember reading 'Wolf Brother' for the first time so many years ago. It instantly hooked me and I've been a huge fan of Michelle Paver ever since. Renn, the niece of the Raven Clan's leader, Fin-Kedinn. She is a year younger than Torak and is described as slim and small in the first few books. Later on, she is portrayed as tough, courageous and is shown to be an expert in archery. She has been forced into becoming a mage all her life because of her skill with magic but truly desires being a hunter. Torak, Wolf and Fin-Kedinn are her only true friends. Throughout the books, Renn is often described through Torak's eyes as older and beautiful, but is often frustrated by his seeming thoughtlessness. She also has a bad relationship with her brother, Hord, and disagrees with him many times throughout the first book. Although Wolfbane could be read as a stand-alone story, readers will get much more from it if they have read the previous books in the series.Torak and Wolf, aided by Naiginn's father, Marupai and a young halfman (girl) named Shamik from the Narwhal clan, trace Naiginn and Renn to the Edge of the World, a volcanic opening where an opening to the demonic Otherworld can be found. Naiginn wants to use the power of the Edge of the World to allow Renn to break his curse, but the proximity of flames (counter to Naiginn's nature as an ice demon) weaken him. Renn escapes and Wolf summons the ancient spirits of the long-dead mammoths to hunt the demons, who fear them. Naiginn disappears and Torak, Renn, Wolf and Shamik (eager to escape the abuse she suffers from the Narwhals) return to the Forest. However, although they promise to tell each other the truth from that moment onwards, Renn does not tell Torak that she is still seeing visions of Seshru.

As the three heroes travel the icy wastelands beyond the limits of the Forest, they come across old friends from the White Fox Clan and make the acquaintance of the Narwhal Clan, a much harder ice clan which raises its hunters in the hard, unforgiving hands of their uncles rather than their parents to prepare them for the difficult life of living on the ice. Renn is saved by a young Narwhal clan hunter named Naiginn and, when Torak and Wolf catch up to them, she reveals that Naiginn is actually her half-brother. Seshru had come to the Far North following the Great Fire which had broken apart the Soul Eaters the first time. There, she had seduced the Narwhal clan Mage and born him a child. Much as she had planned for Renn, she had turned the child into a demon-possessed tokoroth. Renn, assisted by Naiginn, is determined to find his father and discover the reasons why she has suddenly become compelled to harm her mate. Knowing Torak will never let her go, she drugs him in the night and leaves with Naiginn. initially i was surprised by the fact that, as an antagonistic force, Naiginn had less of an on-screen presence that he had in the previous books, but it's a narrative decision that ultimately works. the primary conflict in Wolfbane isn't the ice demon, but rather the protagonist's greatest fears and weaknesses; the thread of discord that threatens to divide them for good. and underneath it all -- especially Torak's own struggle between good and evil -- Fin-Kedinn's ever-present wisdom shines through, guiding them. Wolfbane is the emotional and intense conclusion to The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness. Following Wolf, Renn, Torak and Dark in their final battle against the evil plaguing the Forest, Naiginn the ice demon. Torak and Renn, and the love they have for one another; how gentle Torak in particular is with her in this book, it really makes my heart melt :')a b "An Interview With Michelle Paver". The New York Times Sunday Book Review. 15 July 2007 . Retrieved 18 June 2010. It may not be starting off the way that we had hoped but I'm hoping the strangeness of 2020 won'tlinger for too long and that 2021 canactually be a good year! As crap as it was, 2020 was actually a VERY good reading year for me. I have been working from home since March and the time not spent commuting has meant I've had more time to myself, I'vealso been working different hours to what I used to in the office which also gave me more time to read, and social distancing worked wonders for my tbr as I managed to read 62 booksdespite setting myself an initial target of 30 books. I guess not being able to have a life and see friends can be a good thing! Grand finale to the prize-winning adventure series that's changed the lives of millions of readers. Breathtaking world-building on an epic scale. Pure escapism at its best. The outstanding world-building, inspired language and masterful storytelling plunge readers headfirst into the customs and visceral experience of a life lost to history.

I am very eager for my final copy to arrive at the end of April so I can reread this story with the art and maps that usually accompany these books. If you haven't read the series yet, I only say please please please do not delay. If you have and are about to devour Wolfbane, I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do and enjoy the phenomenal end to this incredible series.

Featured Reviews

Though this book is a 5/5 for me for its legacy and impact on my own creative journey, I did feel that there were some unresolved storyline’s and felt that Torak/Renn relationship didn’t get much development or resolution. For example, I didn’t feel like the whole “Torak choosing Wolf over Renn” conflict was resolved as well as it could have. I also felt that the ending was weaker compared to the ending of Ghost Hunter - Ghost Hunter felt hopeful whereas Wolfbane felt a bit more melancholy. I wished the ending was a bit more hopeful and “bright-futured” especially one of the most pivotal characters in the entire series died. Bale is a young man from the Seal clan who is also Torak's kinsman as Torak's paternal grandmother was from the Seal Clan. They initially get off to a bad start as he captures Torak and takes him to Seal Island, but later become friends. Bale first appears in the book Spirit Walker. Bale is killed in the beginning of the book Oath Breaker by the Soul Eater named Thiazzi.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment