276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Evidence of the Affair

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The repercussions of an illicit affair unfold in this short story by bestselling author Taylor Jenkins Reid. I adored this little novel. This is not a spoiler, but it's about an affair. The two involved characters start a conversation by letters and they found out that their partners sleep together. The whole story takes place in the '70s. The correspondence between Carrie Allsop and David Mayer reveals, piece by piece, the painful details of a devastating affair between their spouses. With each commiserating scratch of the pen, they confess their fears and bare their souls. They share the bewilderment over how things went so wrong and come to wonder where to go from here.

This novella serves as a poignant reminder that even the most seemingly perfect unions can harbor secrets and betrayals. By choosing the epistolary format, Reid allows readers to witness the characters’ vulnerabilities and raw emotions firsthand. The letters, filled with pain, confusion, and moments of solace, create an intimate connection between the characters. It almost felt as though we were a part of the whole ordeal. This method of writing can be done very poorly, but thankfully, that’s impossible for TJR. This is a great idea, but it's a little more basic than I was hoping for from the author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.The repercussions of an illicit affair unfold in this short story by bestselling author Taylor Jenkins Reid. Dear stranger… A desperate young woman in Southern California sits down to write a letter to a man she’s never met—a choice that will forever change both their lives. My heart goes out to you, David. Even though I do not know you… The correspondence between Carrie Allsop and David Mayer reveals, piece by piece, the painful details of a devastating affair between their spouses. With each commiserating scratch of the pen, they confess their fears and bare their souls. They share the bewilderment over how things went so wrong and come to wonder where to go from here. Told entirely through the letters of two comforting strangers and those of two illicit lovers, Evidence of the Affair explores the complex nature of the heart. And ultimately, for one woman, how liberating it can be when it’s broken. Evidence of the Affair by Taylor Jenkins Reid – eBook Details

This little book could have been longer. I had questions at the end (as I always do) but I feel that TJR could have easily extended this narrative to provide more detail. Also, the wrap up felt a little unbelievable, but I don’t want to give away any spoilers. Told entirely through the letters of two comforting strangers and those of two illicit lovers, Evidence of the Affair explores the complex nature of the heart. And ultimately, for one woman, how liberating it can be when it’s broken. David is a teacher in his thirties who has grayed early, and is constantly fretting about finances. He and his wife Janet have four children, and it's difficult providing for his family on the one income. Audiobook Review I mostly listened to this book. Four narrators for four different characters was genius and each gave a heartfelt performance. The pacing, inflection and emotion were all on par and the voices reflected the respective characters nicely. In the short hour and 19 minutes it takes to listen to this audiobook, you could easily whip up my Evidence of the Affair chocolate mousse. It will make you cheat…… on your diet. 😉

Book Summary :The repercussions of an illicit affair unfold in this short story by bestselling author Taylor Jenkins Reid.Dear stranger…A desperate young woman in Southern California sits down to write a letter to a man she’s never met—a choice that will forever change both their lives.My heart goes out to you, David. Even though I do not know you…The correspondence between Carrie Allsop and David Mayer reveals, piece by piece, the painful details of a devastating affair between their spouses. With each commiserating scratch of the pen, they confess their fears and bare their souls. They share the bewilderment over how things went so wrong and come to wonder where to go from here.Told entirely through the letters of two comforting strangers and those of two illicit lovers, Evidence of the Affair explores the complex nature of the heart. And ultimately, for one woman, how liberating it can be when it’s broken. I read this on my Kindle while listening to the Audible narrated so nicely by Julia Whelan (Carrie), George Newbern (David), James Daniels (Ken) and Dara Rosenberg (Janet). If you have an hour to spare on the joys and heartaches of marriage and friendship, this is an excellent way to spend it. Through their correspondence, Carrie and David become intimately acquainted, forming a bond that transcends their initial connection. They confide in each other, sharing their hopes, fears, and regrets, providing a source of support and comfort during this tumultuous time.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment