276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Servant Queen and the King she serves Paperback – 2016

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have seen at first hand the remarkable results of his, and his wife [Sue Ryder]’s determination to put Christ’s teaching to practical effect. We thank God for her long life and her Christian witness, and we pray for the Royal family in their loss and for King Charles III as he takes up his new responsibilities. I am touched that Bible Society, HOPE and the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity have published this book to celebrate my 90th birthday. Yn 1947, a hithau’n cael ei hadnabod bryd hynny fel y Dywysoges Elizabeth, aeth Ei Mawrhydi ar daith i Dde Affrica gyda’i rhieni a’i chwaer Margaret Rose.

The fruit of the Spirit has been rich in her: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. This desire that post-Imperial Britain would be a positive moral example to others has a strong resonance with the vision that the people of Israel were given by God: that they would be ‘a light unto the nations’ (Isaiah 42:6).

His actions match his words and ‘on the cross, he showed the supreme example of physical and moral courage’ (1981).

Instead, she showed us a life of dutiful service in the interest of others, one that treats each person with dignity regardless of status. She is aware too that ‘love one another as I have loved you’ is not a guru’s suggestion, but a divine command.In our deeply fractured world, how has it happened that 54 nations from five continents, with very different cultures and diverse religious majorities, should choose to meet regularly – not out of military expediency or vital economic self-interest, but out of a commitment to a shared vision for a different kind of world? Maybe those years inspired the Queen to say: "To many of us our beliefs are of fundamental importance.

I felt some of it was "watered down" a bit and would have loved to see a more in depth look into what she believes. Indeed, in her 1980 Christmas message she set out a comprehensive vision for neighbour-love that embraced every sphere of society from business to education, from the armed forces to health services, from politics to the arts. If you tick post: You’ll receive our quarterly mailing highlighting new resources, events, articles and fundraising from LICC. As I embark on my 91st year, I invite you to join me in reflecting on the words of a poem quoted by my father, King George VI, in his Christmas Day broadcast in 1939, the year that this country went to war for the second time in a quarter of a century.In 1992, in her annus horribilis, Cheshire visited the Queen while in the terminal stage of motor neurone disease. His contributions were so admired that in 2002, he was voted number 31 in the BBC’s list of the 100 Greatest Britons. Again, you don’t have to be a Christian to do that, but the Queen has made it clear that her concern springs from Christian teaching ‘to love their neighbours, having compassion and concern, and being ready to undertake charity and voluntary work to ease the burden of deprivation and disadvantage’ (2009). On the occasion of her 21st birthday in 1947 she made a radio broadcast in which she said: 'I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong. The Servant Queen – and the King she serves is a beautifully illustrated short book, which uses the Queen’s own words to draw out the central role of her trust in Jesus Christ, offering us all an inspiring, multi-faceted insight into a life well-lived for others.

It is an entirely new conception built on the highest qualities of the spirit of man: friendship, loyalty, and the desire for freedom and peace.It is a vision designed not to inspire envy or fear but to encourage generosity, justice, kindness, and ‘uprightness’. I ask you all to join me in praying that the hearts and minds of everyone in that troubled Province may be touched with the spirit of Christmas and the message of brotherhood, peace, and goodwill.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment