276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Day The Crayons Quit

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book was mentioned in a conversation here on Goodreads, with a link to a reading on Youtube, so I watched it. And I kinda loved it. The general consensus is that people should be able to quit an obligation or duty if it affects their personal well-being and creates a life without pleasure. This belief, however, is questioned when certain scenarios arise. Perhaps there is a family farm that will not survive if the son John does not take it over from his parents. Is he obligated to take care of the farm? If you are the only one that can do something, do you have to take on that role? Or alternatively, imagine that you are walking by a pond and see a child drowning, but you’re late to an important meeting. Are you obliged to save the child in this moment, or should you choose whether you want to save the child? If people depend on you, to what extent do you sacrifice? Social Norms Divide your class up into small groups, and give each one of the letters to re-read together, and then to study in more detail. Ask the children to consider the following questions: Questions for Philosophical Discussion » Summary The Day the Crayons Quit introduces the conflict between obligation and self-interest and asks questions about social norms and aesthetics. Create a chart that shows the colours of a range of objects. Use the information in the story to help you.

White Crayon is sad he is so invisible. This lament is accompanied by a hilarious illustration titled: White Cat in the Snow by Duncan. LOL LOL I love books thatI can enjoy reading to my preschool daughter as much as she enjoys having it read to her. But then I saw them, like a beacon on a hill… there, on my desk, sat an ancient box of my old crayons next to the hula girl pen holder my grandpa had left me in his will. I didn’t remember buying the crayons, or even why I had them. I didn’t have kids yet, so they were definitely my crayons. And at the time, I couldn’t for the life of me remember the last time I had colored. Crayons are so ubiquitous, aren’t they? They just show up everywhere, under couch cushions, behind the dresser, in the junk drawer. But here was a box I’d aparently kept with me, moving them with all my office stuff from apartment to apartment. So yeah… there they were. And I just knew they had a story to tell. I love the message of the book, even though it is extremely didactic, and the humor and the pictures are wonderful.And that’s how The Day The Crayons Came Home was born. After cleaning up Sam’s mess that day, I would go on to write of all the poor crayons in our life that we’ve lost, abused and broken over the years. I felt it was the least I could do for them. And honestly, I really liked that message. If you feel mistreated or are unhappy - speak up and try to change the situation. If nobody knows that you're unhappy, it's unlikely that anything is going to change on its own, so you have to have the self-respect to stand up for your own needs. I didn't feel like it was a message of selfishness or laziness on behalf of the crayons - they just wanted to be respected and appreciated and treated fairly. It's me, RED crayon. WE NEED to talk. You make me work harder than any of your other crayons. All year long I wear myself out coloring FIRE ENGINES, apples, strawberries, and EVERYTHING ELSE that's RED. I even work on holidays! I have to color all the Santas at Christmas and ALL the hearts on Valentine's day! I NEED A REST! When can people stop doing things that other people want them to do? Can you think of some examples of jobs that are okay to quit and jobs that are not? Or count on them for doing? Is there a difference? I also quite liked the message from the little boy Duncan's perspective. He was asked to change his habits to make his beloved crayons happier, and he took their needs into consideration and changed for them - and the experience was rewarding for all.

Please be aware that the delivery time frame may vary according to the area of delivery - the approximate delivery time is usually between 1-2 business days. This is all apropos of nothing, except to say that the book was worth the trip . . . and putting up with Joe. In it we learn that Duncan's crayons are not happy. And what better way for crayons to express their disapproval than by leaving handwritten notes for their owner to find. Stop the presses--the best new Children's book of 2013 is in and it is "The Day the Crayons Quit", no arguments. I don't always review books that my son brings home from the school library (unless I love or HATE them haha) but this one made the 2013 Goodreads Choice Awards and several of you have it on your "to-read" list.

Locations where this product is available

Hysterical story of a poor, little boy who goes to school to discover numerous handwritten (in crayon of course) aggrieved letters from his crayons. They are pissed off. Some are being used too much (blue) some are not being used at all (white) and some are in disputes with one another (orange vs. yellow). Much drama in the crayon box and they have all decided to QUIT.

I’d been writing dialogue for movies and TV for over ten years at that point and thought, hmm… what if I draw on my strengths? What if I gave each crayon a monologue about how they felt about my coloring habits? I bet they’d give me an earful. A great book for a preschool, kindergarten, or early elementary aged student! EDUCATIONAL BOOKACTIVITYDelivery with Standard Australia Post usually happens within 2-10 business days from time of dispatch. Please be aware that the delivery time frame may vary according to the area of delivery and due to various reasons, the delivery may take longer than the original estimated timeframe. A Wall Street Journal Best Children’s Book of 2015 / A TIME Magazine Top 10 Children’s Book of 2015 Now divide the children up into small groups, one for each crayon. Ask the children to devise a still picture to dramatise and sum up the emotion that their crayon is feeling. How would their faces look if they felt like this? How would their bodies appear if they were feeling this way? What images might they include in their freeze frames? Get the children to show their frozen pictures to the class and talk about how emotion is conveyed. Can the children tell which emotion is being expressed, just through how the faces and bodies of their classmates look? Next ask each group to bring their still picture to life for a few seconds – what kind of movements can they use to convey the emotion?

A brilliant, colorful tale that begs to be read aloud and a must-have for all collections.”—School Library Journal,starred review Once again, Daywalt and Jeffers create rich emotional lives and personalities for their colorful cast, and it’s hard to imagine a reader who won’t be delighted.”—Publishers Weekly, starred review

Now, I have been looking around for some picture books that were heavily raved about by various readers and I just happened to stumble upon this unique book called “The Day the Crayons Quit” by Drew Daywalt along with illustrations by Oliver Jeffers. Honestly, this book was truly creative and interesting to read all the way through! I guess some reviewers find the crayons too "whiny," but I see nothing wrong with an inanimate object objecting to being used improperly. And, Duncan's crayons have a litany of complaints from overuse to who makes a better sun - yellow or orange. And the poor peach crayon - it's all naked 'cos Duncan peeled off its paper! I haven’t been reading many picture books lately, but with large groups of college students above and below me (don’t get me started) while I can’t focus on my current novel, I was able to concentrate on a picture book, and thanks to Goodreads friend Kathryn for encouraging me to read this particular book, and due to it being due at the library Monday, I just read it, and I’m glad I did. Despite my few reservations, I do highly recommend the book, either for read aloud (one to one or for groups) and for independent readers too, if their reading skills are sufficiently advanced to be able to read slightly atypically written letters in various colors. Sue Cowley is an experienced teacher, author and presenter. Her latest ebook is The Seven Ts of Practical Differentiation. Visit suecowley.co.uk to find out more.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment