276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Kick

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Moreover, it was emotional, compelling and brilliantly portrayed the life of someone who has a life less fortunate than most of us, but without othering him, and while offering the reader an easy way to relate to him (particularly for younger readers- it is a fantastic book that will teach them about another culture while offering an easy way into the narrative). Two things that I really enjoyed about this book is that it is very beautifully written and that it has a good understanding of how poor people can't just be bad at all things just because they don't have enough money.

The book begins and we also meet his friend Rochy who is, like Budi, a massive fan of football and there is a lot of focus in here on their mutual dreams and their connection of friendship through this shared love of football.It is an essential read for any boy or girl who dreams of playing football. A necessary lesson for everyone about the realities of football kit manufacturing and the discrepancy between the heroes that make the products and the heroes that get to wear them on the biggest stages around the globe. It’s both uplifting and hard-hitting, making it a truly special book for Upper KS2 classrooms (particularly Y6).

Having defied her parents (especially her mother), and married Billy Hartington, the “heir to Chatsworth”, this unfortunate Bostonian was first widowed, then snagged by a philandering Irishman (“king dandy and scum”, according to Waugh), dying with him in a senseless plane crash (shades of John Kennedy Jr). End of story. I have a feeling this will sound pretentious but I do think this could have been pulled off as an adult novel, as oppose to a teenage novel. To make the book better, I would keep all the plotline and keep all the themes but just make the STYLE of the book a bit more adult! In a way, I admire Mitch Johnson's decision to write a younger book about it but I think it would have been executed just as well, if not better, as an adult novel. Ways of doing that might have been to make the book a bit longer and to make the writing style a bit more literary and just to expand on the themes and story perspective. It worked as the way it came out but I think a more sophisticated genre would have suited it more. Unfortunately the reality of Budi’s life is very different. He lives in Jakarta in a cramped dwelling with his extended family. He works in a sweat shop producing football boots for a company of ‘white men’. His uncle is in prison and soon his father finds himself on the wrong side of the law. The last thing Budi needs is to inadvertently become involved with The Dragon – the most feared man in Jakarta. Set during World War I, this book tells the compelling true story of the professional footballers who signed up to fight. It's sure to enthral readers and pique their interest in the period.

Of course, this is not a perfect book, as symbolised by the 3/5 stars. I had two issues with this book, one of which I have already partially highlighted: We have been trying out what life was like before electricity. Some of us wanted to share what we thought it was like in the past. This middle-grade story is about a boy in Indonesian working in a sweatshop factory producing sports trainers. He is football-mad and follows the Spanish League. For example, at one point in the book, we see Budi's favourite football player in quite a difficult situation in terms of scoring a penalty in unfortunate circumstances. There is a lot of focus on the situation seeming near to impossible at first sight and the people in the audience thinking he won't manage it, yet we still see the football player just concentrating so intently despite all the difficulties and he does eventually score the penalty. So the lesson to always spur on with your dreams translates really well into football in that example. Johnson has created a very special book here: he starkly portrays poverty, child labour and crime, while maintaining an undertone of humour, hope and bravery.

Cox, Helen (26 April 2012). "In Interview: 5 Minutes With Mark Millar". Newempressmagazine.com. Archived from the original on 1 May 2015 . Retrieved 18 March 2015. Stone, Sam (2 May 2021). " Crossover: Every Indie Comics Hero in the MASSIVE Battle Royale". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on 3 May 2021 . Retrieved 2 May 2021. Another problem I had was actually a specific plot point. I'll try not to give anything away but, in effect: there is something that happens towards the end of the book which COULD potentially have changed the course of a character's life and the way things turned out really annoyed me! (It will be at the bottom hidden behind a spoiler warning so you can read it if you want to!)This book topic has a number of practical activities to extend children’s understanding of the novel.

Overall, this was an enjoyable book with merit and once again, thank you to my wonderful librarian for sending me this book. If Mitch Johnson was to publish an adult novel in future, I would buy it! I am 100% sure he has the talent to channel all his great ideas into a more sophisticated genre. But the bottom line is: good, solid book and all the best to the debut novelist! Secondary Year 6 leavers - Covid-safe transition activities and ideas It's been a chaotic year but Year 6 children still deserve the best ending to their primary journey Mitch Johnson has skilfully used football as a vehicle to present many deeper issues. By doing so, the theme of football will grab the attention of many readers and gives a tangible way into the more complex strands of narrative. The author has incorporated some Indonesian words and food. I am from Singapore, one of Indonesia's neighbours. Growing up in this multi-cultural society, I know a few Malay words and am familiar with some foods. I've only been to Indonesia a couple of times and cannot vouch if those words are truly used in Indonesia but some of the words are not what we use in Singapore. Nevertheless, they give a flavour of the place.And THEN Budi leaves and, on a complete whim, goes and gives the money to his friend! So not only did Budi miss out on the opportunity to improve life for all his family by getting rid of their poverty, providing a school life for himself and also potentially buying a better house in a better place, but also he completely disrespects all his uncle's efforts to get this money as his final move before his death especially with his nephew in mind. Maybe I'm just selfish and cold-hearted but personally, I think that is a pretty poor way to repay him! The real cover will be different to my proof cover (the proof is just yellow!) but it is the real cover I have a problem with. It's not a bad cover but it makes it look like a children's book. Apart from the quote, there are barely any hints there to do with the themes it discusses in terms of Indonesian poverty and the ridiculous justice system there (this book goes into really great detail on those points!), nor does the cover indicate the genuinely deep emotional story that this book has. If you are taking part online, don’t forget to log all the books you read on your Summer Reading Challenge profile and leave a review! Information for parents and carers Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment