276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Batman: Haunted Knight

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The first time Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale teamed up on Batman was for three Halloween specials for “Legends of the Dark Knight.” It was later reprinted as “Haunted Knight” to make for a fun and creepy anthology series inspired by Halloween and classic horror stories. Using some of the key villains from Batman’s Rogues Gallery, Loeb sets them against The Dark Knight in ways meant to excite and terrify. A great read for this time of year, it may not have the recognition of the creative duos other outings, but it is a must for fans of this team, and of this era of “Batman.” It is because of this that fans were graced with “The Long Halloween,”“Dark Victory,” and “Catwoman: When in Rome.” Batman by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale Omnibus collects their magnum opus trilogy: Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Dark Victory, and Catwoman: When in Rome. Also included is the Batman: Haunted Knight trilogy of Halloween inspired one-shots: Batman: Choices, Batman: Madness, and Batman: Ghosts. Finally, it contains stories from Superman/Batman Secret Files 2003, Superman/Batman #26, and Solo #1.

The premise of fighting Scarecrow on a Halloween night had potential to make for a very interesting Batman story, but this story was dull and uninspired overall. The story-telling and characterization were poorly done, and for being a Scarecrow-Halloween story it barely had fear playing any major role. This story was mostly: Batman chasing after scarecrow or Bruce chasing after a girl. Bruce's thoughts : "On rainy days, in particular... ...I miss my mother. But I know just the thing for it..." (reads that Alice book) I was surprised to hear that DC was making this collection into an Absolute Edition. Not sure I would’ve called it a necessity. I imagine it’s for completists like me or to bookend the Long Halloween and Dark Victory. Nothing here that falls into the category of essential Batman, but a recommend to fans of Loeb and Sale’s other Batman work.The first Batman omnibus I have dug into out of my collection. I was recommended to start here out of all of them, with many proclaiming that a number of these stories are amongst the best ever written for the Gotham City protector. I must admit, that is of slight concern to me, as despite the strength of these stories, and the good time I had with this omnibus, if this is as good as the caped crusader gets. Well, that doesn't speak very highly for his 80 year run. The book itself is wonderfully constructed in the most premium format DC has to offer: The Absolute Edition. A4 in size, with a ribbon bookmark and sturdy slipcase, this book is absolutely gorgeous! And is easily the best format for Tim Sale's iconic artwork. Batman: Haunted Knight - A pretty standard collection of three specials involving Batman foiling supervillain plots on Halloween. Like most Loeb works the characterization is the strongest aspect of these stories but the writing is often repetitive and clunky with dialogue that's a bit wooden. I enjoyed the Alice in Wonderland inspired middle special but not much else was particularly interesting. Sale's art is enjoyable but not as dynamic or cinematic as his later Batman work. 6.5/10

Seeing Batman solving cases and going against criminals and villains is awesome. What's even better is the reason he does it. Why does multimillionaire puts on a Bat- suit and fights crime? And we know at this moment that all this is Bruce's dream which is reflection of his own inner self so there Bruce try to defend his father (actually his own guilt) so all this was so depressing for me to read. Later There was a part, where Bruce had a dream that he died and there he questions his own choice that was it really worth to choose that path and become batman and sacrificing his happiness? Because doing so, he lost his own self - Bruce Wayne.

Become a Member

ORIGINS: Batman: Year One and/or Zero Year and/or Golden Age origin story (first appeared in Detective Comics #33, reprinted in Batman #1) These volumes have been re-released more than once, sometimes alone, sometimes included with “The Long Halloween” and “Dark Victory.” Any are easy to find anywhere you buy comics. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I have and let us know what you think. Do you enjoy this October outing, or is the Dark Knight better left to non-holiday tales? There Bruce's struggles to decide, whether he should stay in happiness with Jillian or should go for crime fighting by leaving Julian(happiness).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment