276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Midnight Folk

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

John Masefield is growing younger every year. He was old in Multitude and Solitude. He had grown appreciably younger in Sard Harker. He is a child among the children in "The Midnight Folk,” which is incomparably the best book of its kind that has appeared since Mrs. Hubert Bland died. — Illustrated London News, 1927. [2] Abner Brown is the principal villain in both novels, but plays a more prominent role in The Box of Delights. The Midnight Folk is a children's fantasy novel by John Masefield first published in 1927. It is about a boy, Kay Harker, who sets out to discover what became of a fortune stolen from his seafaring great grandfather Aston Tirrold Harker (in reality, Aston Tirrold is a village in Oxfordshire). The treasure is also sought by a coven of witches who are seeking it for their own ends. Kay's governess Sylvia Daisy Pouncer is a member of the coven. The witches are led or guided by the wizard Abner Brown.

The Midnight Folk - BBC Fairytale Drama : John Masefield The Midnight Folk - BBC Fairytale Drama : John Masefield

The Mutiny: Captain Harker's crew mutinied and marooned him so they could steal the treasure. The subsequent history of the treasure turns out to involve several more mutinies and maroonings with the same motivation.The Midnight Folk is written as one piece. There are no chapter divisions. Division within the text is obtained by moving from prose to verse or even song in some places.

The Midnight Folk - John Masefield - Google Books

The cast also includes Graham Seed, who would gain national fame in January 2011 through the plummeting to earth of his character, Nigel Pargetter, in The Archers. John Masefield was in his last year as Poet Laureate when I was born in 1966. I remember copying out his poem ‘Cargoes’ in primary school – ‘Quinquireme of Nineveh from distant Ophir . . .’ – and wondering what all these strange, beautiful-sounding words meant as I laboured over my ascenders and descenders. That John Masefield, stiff and distant, seemed already to be from a long-dead past. Abandoned Area: The brewery and stables at Seekings, obsolete in the age of mass-produced beer and motor cars, now slowly falling into ruin.He has written a book which will be a source of delight to children of future generations well as his own, one that ranks with such masterpieces in this genre The Water Babies, Alice in Wonderland and Sylvie and Bruno. — The Northern Whig, 1927 [1] Oracular Head: The coven uses a Brazen Head that can see into the past in an attempt to locate the treasure. By day Kay Harker is under the eye of his governess, but at night he escapes into a world where good and evil are pitted against each other.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment