276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Apple and Rain

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is what I like about her though. So many 13-year-olds in books are immature and whingey and she isn’t. Sure, she leaves her Nan to go and live with her admittedly crap Mum but she’s generally pretty mature and never whines about how crap her life is, she just gets on with it and makes do and hopes things will get better. She’s not perfect but she’s not a stereotypical whiney teenager and that is very nice. Holly ends up on a treasure hunt that spans from the outskirts of London to the Orkney islands of Scotland, because auntie Irene had left jewellery to the Kennet siblings. Apple(her full name is Apollinia Apostolopoulou - named for her Greek father) is a sincere character with believable thoughts, motivations and actions appropriate for her age. I found her to be very sympathetic as she struggled to cope with a teens familiar disappointments - being excluded by a best friend, targeted by a mean girl and having an unrequited crush, as well as dealing with her mother's homecoming, and the surprise of a little sister. As her new life begins to unravel, Apple takes comfort in poetry, inspired by a substitute teacher, and a new neighbour, Del, but must also confront some uncomfortable truths about her mother, her sister's obsession and her own needs. With realistic characters, a beautiful yet simple writing and bits of poetry, Apple and Rain is a book that was both emotional and undeniably remarkable. One you must read to experience. A poignant and touching story, Apple and Rain is a story about family, poetry, wishes and growing up.

Apple Weather Forecast Apple Weather Forecast

I think Sarah Crossan’s way of writing Rain and of dealing with her mental illness is really very admirable. She’s done this well.

Whilst Apple and Rain was not a favourite of mine, I’m quite glad I read it because it’s a little different to the books I usually read, and it made me step outside of my reading comfort zone. I really enjoyed this book, because it was mysterious and exciting. You never knew what was coming at you and sometimes it was like words were hurtling towards your face. I only wish that you found out a bit more about what happened to Holly at the end of the book. But that was my only doubt. Bueno, está Del, pero lo único memorable de él es cómo espía a sus vecinos con sus binoculares y cómo ayuda a Apple, especialmente con Rain. Fue lindo, pero no fue suficiente para restar valor al resto de las cosas horribles de la historia. Nana de Apple es probablemente el personaje más agradable del libro que realmente se preocupa por ella lo suficiente, y odié verla dejar de lado. I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This is no way impacted in my view. Apple is thirteen, but her narrative voice definitely did not sound thirteen. That didn't bother me as much as it should have, mainly because she learnt a lot of things along the way. She developed a lot as a character, and it was really an amazing thing to witness.

rain sounds and other ambient noise with Background Play rain sounds and other ambient noise with Background

Although perhaps the intended target audience is younger than me, it’s definitely not a children’s book.I think we're all familiar with the concept that beauty is simplicity, and I certainly think that this book right here, fits the description perfectly. Apple and Rain does not have a complex premise full of twists, turns and unpredictable sequences. The writing was poetic, but not overly so. It was simple, but pleasant, seamless and fully capable of guiding the reader towards the core of the story.

Apple and Rain | BookTrust

This beautiful novel from multi-award-winning author Sarah Crossan explores family, friendship and reconciliation. It is a story about how messy, complicated and surprising love can be. So when Apple, desperate for her mother’s approval actually does move in with her mother, and meets Rain, her sister, I was confused. And then I had my oh, okay moment when I realised that I wasn’t completely wrong in my initial assumption. Sad Apple does indeed meet sadder Rain with double mommy issues. I knew then that I’d found myself a MG coming-of-age read. My favourite character in this book was Del. He was adorable and a little weird (but I always like them a little weird), and he didn’t let Apple’s flippant and standoffish façade drive him away. I have a heap of respect for him for that, because most people run away when someone requires you to persevere with no guaranteed outcome of friendship (or something more). Apple and Rain is a wonderful feel-good kind of book, the kind that doesn’t offer you an unrealistic happy ending, but rather an ending which leaves the reader full of hope. A wonderful book indeed’ www.librarymice.com Exposing Apple Watch to perfume, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye

There's one thing that is always lingering in the far corner of this story, and that is hope, perhaps that one thing that can save us when it feels like life has shut down on all the choices. Apple and Rain will show you how a little bit of hope can get you a long way. Like a brilliant hybrid of Cathy Cassidy and Jacqueline Wilson, Sarah Crossan entices you into her world, then tells a moving, perceptive and beautifully crafted story which has the power to make you laugh and cry. About This Edition ISBN: I love books entered around family and family issues. But this one, obviously, was the complete extreme. It had a flighty mother who cared about no one or nothing, two young girls who struggled to make their mother happy, and a grandmother who could do nothing but helplessly watch all the drama unfold. Name every bad thing for your fourteen/ten year old child and it’s in there—drinking, smoking, leering men, cutting school for weeks on end, even paranoia. And not to mention, Rain, who carries around her doll Jenny, thinking that she is a real baby. Like I said, this book has quite a lot of the sad. And while our world is absolutely filled with worse lives for children, I cannot say reading this book was easy. Lots of cringing and wincing and anger on my end. Holly,Jonathan and Davy live with no mum and they hardly see their dad. Jonathan cares for Holly and Holly cares for davy, Davy has to care for his rabbit, Sebastian. The author does well at highlighting the sadness of the Great War, even going so far as to kill off one of the major characters and badly injure another. I think the author had to do this as it would be unrealistic for this family to escape with only one wounded member when many so many died. I really enjoyed this book and i would recommend it to people who like evocative language and stories.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment