276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Be Quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4 140mm PWM, Premium Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, Black (BL099)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Apart from the switch, you can optimize the be quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4 for different purposes by changing the corners. The corners that are optimized for radiator use are installed at the factory. Apart from that, there are corners that avoid vibrations with rubber pads and are thus optimal for use as a case fan. Lastly, there are corners that work with the tool-less pins to attach them to the case. Changing the corners is simple in principle, but not quite as easily done in practical terms. You have to press down two latching lugs on two sides of the corners and pull the corner upwards at the same time. This actually works best with two hands, so you can push with one and pull with the other. Speed switch allows changing maximum PWM speed between medium-speed, high-speed and ultra-high-speed (up to 2400 rpm) The above table lists the speed range under each speed dial. I would personally, set the fan speed to UHS and use the PWM control for speed regulation. If you want to use a radiator as obstacle, you need to make the part connecting a radiator and wind tunnel. Using the actual radiator is recommended, because the result of straws bundle and a radiator can be different. The frame design of fan espeacially affects the efficiency for a radiator. Square frame shapes tend to be more efficient on a radiator. It would be nice to be able to reflect these differences in your test. You can easily find a cheap 120mm 1-row radiator on Aliexpress.

That's why i think they're different for various users as well, some fan controllers and PSU's simply run higher or lower voltage even in the single digit % range, and that can change a fans noise levels. be quiet! is using Fluid Dynamic Bearing in these fans having a life span of 300,000 hours. These bearings reduce the vibration which helps in reducing the overall noise output. On top of that, these fans are using 6-pole, 3-phase motor.In the be quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4 test on a radiator, the first thing that stands out is that the performance is hardly different compared to the predecessor in the lower speed range. However, as with the 120 mm version, they do not reach the specified maximum speeds in the different modes. Therefore, I performed the test twice in the 1100-RPM range. The first deviations that go beyond the measurement tolerance can be seen here. With the new Silent Wings 4 series, be quiet! has focused on improving static pressure, which is of vital importance when mounting fans to heat sinks or liquid cooled radiators. Compared to the award-winning Silent Wings 3 series, the fan blades have a different shape and feature a lower tip clearance (1.0 mm for all Silent Wings 4 models versus 1.2 mm for Silent Wings 3), while the funnel-shaped air intake is replaced with a funnel-shaped air outlet, dispersing the air over a greater area. These changes have made a drastic improvement in static pressure, therefore making Silent Wings 4 a top choice for heat sinks or radiators, while keeping its noise levels impressively low. And all the fans are built with PBT, the same plastic that's best for gaming keyboard keycaps. Be Quiet says in their testing these fans worked just fine for really long periods, and say that even for four of more years of maximum RPM, there shouldn't be any sign of impeller creep. That's basically when the constant spinning and centrifugal forces on the blades causes them to stretch out, which, you might have guessed, isn't ideal. We have a new spearhead in the cooling department from be quiet! Meet the new Silent Wings 4 series which is the next generation of high-performance fans from the manufacturer taking over the game from Silent Wings 3. The new fans are available in 120mm and 140mm sizes in various configurations. There is also a PRO version of the fans in this series which represents the pinnacle of high-end cooling fans from be quiet! We have tested the Silent Wings 4 PRO 120 and 140mm PWM fans.

We have taken a look at the 120mm PWM size fans. These fans have a solid build quality and we have observed that these fans weigh a bit more than what we have seen on the other 120mm size fans in the lab. The salient feature is the new altered blade layout with a narrow gap between the fin tip and the frame which would result in higher air pressure on the edges. I consider it appropriate to correct a bit the comparison of our test modes to industrial noise levels. This time around we are testing the premium, top-of-the-class fans in this range named Silent Wings 4 PRO. The PRO versions are available in 120 and 140-mm sizes. We have got both variants for testing. The set of corners is the same across Silent Wings Pro 4 fan formats, and the 140mm also comes pre-installed with a radiator-optimized type. Only with these, there are no air gaps between the frames (fan and radiator), due to which the static pressure drops and the air flow (and therefore cooling performance) naturally decreases. Keeping noise levels down is a plus point, but don’t expect quiet acoustics at full pelt; practically 50dB at 2,400RPM is highly distracting and, save for a good pair of headphones, unsuitable for everyday use.

Vielen Dank für den Test! Habe schon länger überlegt, mal mit neuen 140mm Lüftern auf meinem Alphacool Aurora Pro 420 rumzuprobieren. Wäre da nicht der Preis... We are not recording the noise output due to certain uncontrollable environment noise. Based on our hearing which is subjective, we have found these fans to be making less noise compared to Noctua iPPC NF-F12-3000-PWM (been using these fans for some time and know how they sound) and SST-SF120 fans at full speed. Conclusion The result? NF-A12x25 achieves 8.5 % lower airflow at the same (1600) speed (75,69 m 3/h) and up to 17.4 % lower static pressure (1,48 mm H 2O). In other words, with an airflow of 82.74 m 3/h at static pressure of 1,79 H 2O, specifications of BeQuiet! claim that their new Silent Wings 4 will have more performance under any circumstances. BeQuiet! Silent Wings 4 (120 mm) The entire surface of the blades is characterized by grooves, which are typical for BeQuiet! and quite useful. In particular, they eliminate microturbulence at the intake, which would be considerably more intense on smooth blades and thus less air would flow through the rotor. Unlike older fans (including the Silent Wings 3), however, these grooves have a slightly shallower depth. This is probably to make the material “weaken” as little as possible in the thinner areas. Still, these are relatively long blades in relation to the width, which are also characterized by higher flexibility. PWM ist ja Pulsweite in Prozent %. Rechnet Ihr also für Eure Messungen die Schrittweite von 100 Rpm in Prozent entsprechend runter, also rund 8% pro 100 Rpm bei max 1200 Rpm (100%), oder etwa 3% pro 100er-Schritt für einen max 3000-Rpm-Orkan?

It seems you already builded your own wind tunnel. But you may need to move the anemometer to outlet of the wind tunnel. If my understanding of your explanation is correct, the distance between the anemometer and the position for mounting fan is ~150mm, and, it is too close in my opinion. As explained earlier, the airflow pushed by a fan is a strong turbulance, not a laminar flow. You may observed the ‘bounce’ in measured wind speed values because of this reason. It is good to keep some distance(500~1000mm or 20~40 inches) and place flow straightener in a middle of duct if possible. The fans were run at Medium, High-Speed, and Ultra-High-Speed dials for each run. Let’s take a look at the result. Benchmarks & Testing scores. So, the anemometer with a turbine is the best choice for this usage, but I recommend the meter with larger vane. I have so much to learn! I read with great interest the fantastic way that HWC does testing. I will have to go to Quazarzone to see what you’ve got there, too. Another salient feature is the premium-looking PWM connector with sleeved cable. This connector not only looks good but it also makes the plugging in and out convenient.

However, the 140 mm variant naturally has a larger outer cross-section by some 37% (i.e. the active one, with blades). Thanks to the larger blades, it achieves a higher air flow even at lower speeds, but the static pressure is already lower. The gaps between the blades are considerably larger than in the 120 mm model, where they (the gaps) are really cramped. In the case of the 140 mm fan, the relative distances, due to which the static pressure drops, between the individual blades are quite large. For longer blade lengths a higher airflow is achieved, but this is especially so in a non-restrictive environment which offers little resistance to the fan. This means that the airflow drops considerably faster due to the obstacle. The more complicated the obstacle is (in terms of constraints on the fan), the smaller the advantage of the 140 mm fan over the 120 mm variant.

Regarding heatsinks, I figured out a simple method to evaluate pressure without measuring it. All you have to do is attach a fan to either side of a single-tower air cooler and monitor the CPU, mobo, VRM and GC sensor readings, which I do with HWInfo64, and derive the average temperature. I do this in BIOS (with the BIOS readings) as a control, then I do it in Windows with a light load, followed by a heavy load using the 3DMark Speed Way benchmark. By placing the fan on each side, I also discover which fans work best as intake and which as exhaust. I also combined similar and different fans on each side to see how they’d work together. It seems that it’s best to have the stronger fan (if it’s a dislike pair) on the right side. For this procedure, my first run employed the Noctua NH-U12A, and the fans: Noctua A12x25, Phanteks T30, Corsair ML120 & SP120 RGB Elite. I’m sure you can guess which was best and worst on exhaust, but the results under a light load for intake were not what I’d expected. I have had many problems with spreadsheet program malfunctioning, so I’m still not done making graphs. >:(Either way, the 120 mm Silent Wings (Pro) 4s look good and we are considerably more concerned about the efficiency of the 140 mm. These have two fewer blades, and such a thinner rotor may indeed achieve higher flow at lower noise, due to the larger cross-section, but only in environments with very little environmental resistance. There will be a significantly greater airflow loss on a radiator due to the significantly lower static pressure than with 120 mm models. BeQuiet! makes no secret of it either, at just 5,3 % higher airflow (87,16 m 3/h), they claim only half the static pressure of the smaller fan (0,92 mm H 2O). BeQuiet! Silent Wings 4 (140 mm) In addition to the interchangeable corners (with better ones pre-installed), with the Silent Wings 4 fans with the “Pro” label, you also pay extra for a softer cable with a more robust connector attachment. And, of course, for a three-position switch to limit maximum speeds to about 1750 rpm (HS/High Speed) and 1020 rpm (M/Medium).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment