276°
Posted 20 hours ago

GCSE English Text Guide - Of Mice & Men: perfect for the 2024 and 2025 exams

£2.975£5.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But I wouldn't eat none, George. I'd leave it all for you. You could cover your beans with it and I wouldn't touch none of it.'" I seen things out here. I wasn't drunk. I don't know if I was asleep. If some guy was with me, he could tell me I was asleep, an' then it would be all right. But I jus' don't know." Nobody never gets to heaven, and nobody gets no land. It's just in their head. They're all the time talkin' about it, but it's jus' in their head." Full size image Behavioral disinhibition following a history of binge alcohol drinking was especially robust in females Balogh KN, Mayes LC, Potenza MN. Risk-taking and decision-making in youth: relationships to addiction vulnerability. J Behav Addict. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1556/JBA.2.2013.1.1.

Starski P, Hong SI, Peyton L, Oliveros A, Wininger K, Hutchison C, et al. Ethanol induces maladaptive impulse control and decreased seeking behaviors in mice. Addict Biol. 2020;25(3): e12754. There is a path through the willows and among the sycamores, a path beaten hard by boys coming down from the ranches to swim in the deep pool, and beaten hard by tramps who come wearily down from the highway in the evening to jungle-up near water." Pang TY, Du X, Catchlove WA, Renoir T, Lawrence AJ, Hannan AJ. Positive environmental modification of depressive phenotype and abnormal hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity in female C57BL/6J mice during abstinence from chronic ethanol consumption. Front Pharmacol. 2013;4:93.Seventy-two hour after the last alcohol/water access of eight-cycle DID (20% EtOH and H2O), mice were assessed for their preference for 1% sucrose over 3 consecutive days, followed by 2% sucrose for the subsequent 3 days, using a 24 h two-bottle choice assay as previously described [ 28]. The home cage water bottle was replaced with two 50 ml bottles, one containing 1% sucrose and one containing water, and bottles were weighed and replaced in switched positions every 24 h for 3 days. The following 3 days, the same procedure was repeated with bottles containing water and 2% sucrose. Sucrose and water intake were recorded, and consumption and preference were analyzed for days 2–3 for each sucrose concentration. Data were excluded if a bubble in the bottle spout prevented access to the sucrose on that day. Open field test Vranjkovic O, Winkler G, Winder DG. Ketamine administration during a critical period after forced ethanol abstinence inhibits the development of time-dependent affective disturbances. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2018;43(9):1915–23. Approximately 3.5 weeks following the last alcohol exposure, mice were placed in a clean, standard rat cage (26 cm l × 48 cm w × 20 cm h) with 5 cm of fresh, unscented bedding containing 20 evenly-spaced marbles. Following 30 min, the number of marbles buried, with a threshold of at least 2/3 of the marble being covered by bedding, was assessed by the experimenter and recorded. Novelty suppressed feeding Satire on American Dream: The novel not only shows the hollowness of capitalism but also of the much desired and much boosted, American Dream. Lennie and George have had a dream that they should have their farm where Lennie would play with rabbits to satiate his desire for touching furry animals. However, this dream soon crashes to the ground when they confront Curley and his wife. Lennie accidentally kills his wife when she comes to flirt with him and loses his life at the hands of George.

Sneddon EA, Ramsey OR, Thomas A, Radke AK. Increased responding for alcohol and resistance to aversion in female mice. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2020;44(7):1400–9. Curley: Curley seems to be the antagonist of the novel, for he not only shows his bossy nature on account of being the son of the master of the ranch but also teases Lennie, unnecessarily and provokes him. Although he is a non-professional boxer, he injures his hand when it comes to fighting with Lennie of whom he is very jealous. Despite his overprotectiveness toward his wife, he lets her flirt with Lennie, which shows the carelessness and lethargy of the landowners.Stevenson JR, Schroeder JP, Nixon K, Besheer J, Crews FT, Hodge CW. Abstinence following alcohol drinking produces depression-like behavior and reduced hippocampal neurogenesis in mice. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009;34(5):1209–22. Sneddon EA, White RD, Radke AK. Sex differences in binge-like and aversion-resistant alcohol drinking in C57BL/6J Mice. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2019;43(2):243–9. Frezza M, di Padova C, Pozzato G, Terpin M, Baraona E, Lieber CS. High blood alcohol levels in women. The role of decreased gastric alcohol dehydrogenase activity and first-pass metabolism. N Engl J Med. 1990;322(2):95–9. Of Mice And Men' is set in the Great Depression era. The story revolves around two migrant ranch workers, George and Lennie, searching for a job as they move across America. Women show increased stress responsivity to various physiological triggers [ 43, 44, 45] and are more likely to use alcohol to regulate negative emotional states than men [ 46, 47], but there is a relative dearth of studies on the behavioral effects of chronic drinking in females rodent models. Most, however, point to no effect on avoidance in early or protracted abstinence on most measures [ 10, 34, 42], with some exceptions in continuous [ 48] and intermittent access [ 13] models. The literature on the effects of alcohol abstinence on anhedonia is limited, but investigations of protracted abstinence following chronic continuous access show an anhedonic phenotype in both sexes [ 20, 21, 40, 48, 49, 50, 51]. This is notable given our findings that protracted abstinence from binge drinking produces reduced avoidance with no changes to affect in females. Because these are some of the only studies investigating the long-term consequences of chronic alcohol exposure in females, future work directly comparing the nature of alcohol access, duration/amount of exposure, and specific behavioral time points will be useful for resolving which factors lead to specific behavioral outcomes in females. It is possible that this behavioral disinhibition phenotype is a protective effect in females, such that in our model female mice may be less prone to maladaptive anxiety-like behavior following chronic binge drinking. However, it is more likely that this reflects aberrant risk-taking behavior, given the established relationship between risk-taking/compulsivity, and alcohol drinking/relapse in humans and rodents [ 53, 54, 55, 56].

Themes The predatory nature of human existence; the importance of fraternity and idealized relationships between men; the impossibility of the American Dream; the destructive imbalance of social power structures in American society Antagonist: Although it seems that the Great Depression is the main antagonist in the novel, it seems that it is an abstract idea that spread in the United States during the 30s. However, Curley is the actual antagonist, who tortures George and Lennie when they work on the farm of his father. ii. An allusion to Robert Burn’s poem “ To a Mouse,” which is given in the shape of a mouse that Lennie and George refer to several times. (Chapter-1) George knows that Lennie doesn’t have a gentle touch. He loves petting soft things but accidentally kills them. He sees that while Lennie is carrying and stroking a dead mouse. George angrily throws it away, fearing that Lennie might catch a disease from the dead animal. George complains loudly that his life would be more comfortable without having to care for Lennie. However, George continues to maintain their friendship and devotion. He and Lennie also share a dream of getting their own piece of land. Which they can farm, and also have pet rabbits for Lennie. While camping, George tells a story to Lennie. He describes how a farm life should be and how peaceful their life could be in such a place. Here at Kidadl, we have carefully created lots of interesting family-friendly quotes for everyone to enjoy! If you liked our suggestions for 'Of Mice And Men' quotes then why not take a look at 'East Of Eden' quotes, or Harper Lee quotes?

Here, we found that female mice consume more alcohol compared to their male counterparts in a modified DID paradigm across eight cycles (Figs. 1, 2), consistent with what we and others have previously shown for binge alcohol drinking models in mice [ 8, 9]. This difference was more robust for 20% compared to 10% EtOH, even though preference for alcohol over water did not differ between sexes at either alcohol concentration. Females consumed more alcohol than males across timepoints, an effect that was not dependent on overall higher fluid intake (Fig. 5). In addition, we found that protracted abstinence (2–4 weeks) from chronic binge drinking led to a behavioral disinhibition phenotype that was especially robust in females (Fig. 7). Specifically, we observed a reduction in anxiety-like and an increase in compulsive-like behavior in alcohol-abstinent females but not males compared to water control mice in the OF, NSF, and MB assays, as well as a stronger effect of alcohol experience for females in reducing avoidance behavior as measured through the EPM (Fig. 7). We additionally found basal sex differences in assays measuring reward sensitivity/anhedonia and coping behavior but no effects of alcohol abstinence in the sucrose preference, FST, and TS assays (Figs. 6, 8). Together, these results suggest that anxiety and compulsive-related behaviors are most vulnerable to pathological behavioral outcomes in protracted alcohol abstinence from chronic binge drinking, especially in females.

The Boss: A favorite of Candy, the Boss is the ranch owner who employs Lennie and George when they move from California to some other ranch for work. Candy’s likeness of him is due to his generosity of offering them whiskey on Christmas. God, you're a lot of trouble,' said George. 'I could get along so easy and so nice if I didn't have you on my tail. I could live so easy and maybe have a girl.'" Vollrath M, Torgersen S. Who takes health risks? A probe into eight personality types. Personal Individ Differ. 2002;32(7):1185–97.

Character Revealing Quotes

In the book, 'Of Mice And Men', nature plays a role in describing the inner conflict of the characters as well as how The Great Depression played with the hopes and dreams of people. Even Lennie, at different situations, is compared to a terrier, horse, and a bear. Some of the symbolic nature quotes from the book are. The novella’s climax arrives in Section 5, when Lennie accidently kills Curley’s wife while stroking her soft hair. Neither character is to blame. Rather, the atmosphere of isolation and fear on the ranch brings about the death of Curley’s wife. She seeks out Lennie’s company because she is dissatisfied with her marriage and because she knows Lennie crushed Curley’s hand. The reason Lennie and Curley’s wife are together is because they have both been bullied by Curley, and ultimately, by the harsh way of life on the ranch. Both characters mistrust one another, and it is this mistrust which brings about the fatal accident: Curley’s wife misinterprets Lennie’s behavior, and Lennie misinterprets her screams, worrying most of all that “George’ll be mad.” Mistrust also dictates the other workers’ responses when they discover the body of Curley’s wife. They all assume that Lennie is guilty of a deliberate murder, and Curley’s bullying seals Lennie’s fate. He forces George to join the party searching for Lennie. You seen what they done to my dog tonight? They says he wasn't no good to himself nor nobody else. When they can me here I wisht somebody'd shoot me. But they won't do nothing like that. I won't have no place to go, an' I can't get no more jobs."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment