276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Triple Tragedy in Alcolu: The execution of 14-year-old George Stinney, Jr., accused of the murders of Betty June Binnicker and Mary Emma Thames.

£6.825£13.65Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

His parents were not allowed to see him until after his trial and conviction. As per the handwritten statement by H.S. Newman, Stinney’s arresting officer said, “I arrested a boy by the name of George Stinney. He then made a confession and told me where to find a piece of iron, about 15 inches where he said he put it in a ditch about six feet from the bicycle.” A deadly mystery that has haunted Alcolu for 74 years since began then, in the moments that the two girls stepped onward in their quest.

State Prison Protects Negro after Slaying". St. Petersburg Times. INS. March 25, 1944 . Retrieved October 18, 2015. Texas Monthly – Texas Executed Carlos DeLuna for Murder in 1989. A New Documentary Says He Was Innocent. The charge applied to Stinney's body during his execution amounted to 4,300 volts in total according to a contemporary news article, not far off the "5,380 volts" claimed in the Facebook post. Charles Kelly, whose father was a longstanding chaplain at the South Carolina State Penitentiary and witnessed 34 executions, wrote about Stinney's death in his book Next Stop, Eternity: The cousins insist that there was no racial element to George's trial and conviction. But they disagree over whether the state was right to execute him. "I'm a believer in the death penalty if you are 100% sure and I believe he did it," said Frankie. Carolyn is more sympathetic to the view that grave mistakes were made in the case. She said George should have had a lawyer or parent with him during his interrogation, and should never have been put to death. After confessing, Newman said, George led officers to the spot in the woods where he had hidden the spike.Mullen cautioned the audience in the crowded courtroom at the outset that the hearing would not lead to a decision on whether Stinney was innocent or guilty, only "determine if he received a fair trial." Newman refused to reveal where George was detained as talk of lynching the boy swirled around Alcolu. Not even George’s parents knew where he was. Days turned into weeks as the trial approached, and neither parent saw nor spoke to George. Mrs. Stinney prayed furiously. They didn’t have any money. What could do they do? Stinney shook when the switch was flipped, and roughly 40 witnesses saw his face. Then, his body, arms, and legs bound him to the chair. He was laid to rest in an unmarked grave in Crowley. Re-opening of the Case after Seven Decades

George Stinney Jr.’s siblings were overjoyed to learn that their brother was exonerated after 70 years, appreciating that they were able to live long enough to see it happen.

Timothy Evans

Aime and her surviving siblings, Charles who was 12 and Katherine who was 10, grew up with two beliefs: that their brother was innocent and that they couldn't change the past. In legal documents submitted to the new hearing, Bishop Charles Stinney told of how the entire family were plunged into fear after George was taken and his father fired. Amid talk of a mob, they had to leave town for their grandmother's home in nearby Pinewood and later moved to Sumter. It was like a cloud just moved away,” said Stinney’s sister, Katherine Robinson. “When we got the news, we were sitting with friends… I threw my hands up and said, ‘Thank you, Jesus!’ Someone had to be listening. It’s what we wanted for all these years.” Stinney’s trial began almost a month after the girls’ death. The Clarendon County Courthouse appointed Charles Plowden as his lawyer. However, Plowden did little to nothing to defend Stinney. During a trial that lasted only two hours, Plowden failed to call any witnesses to the stand or present any evidence which would convince the jury of George Stinney Jr.’s innocence. The only significant evidence against him was his alleged confession, although a written record of his confession was not produced. The Stinney family had gotten word of the missing girls that evening while attending a neighborhood party. George told his parents that he and Amie had seen them earlier, and he left with his father to join the search parties.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment