276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tuesday: A Caldecott Award Winner

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old. First printing of Wiesner's first book to win the Caldecott Medal, featuring virtually no words but many hovering frogs. One of the ladies doing the Assessment apologised for using this Children's book because it may seem patronising. I am predominantly a KS2 teacher (ages 7-11 for anyone non UK) but I will also try and use my limited knowledge of EYFS and KS1 (4-7) to give some pointers.

There are touches of humour that children will appreciate, not least on the final page when we see what flies in the following Tuesday. The low pressure nature of a picture book allows children of all abilities to join in and feel successful. of the 1991 Caldecott winner, oblong 4to picture book, cloth backed boards, with the author's delightful paintings of frogs on flying lilypads.The TV is the clear light source, but we get a good sense that the frogs are floating in space because of their cast shadows. Wiesner’s point here, I think, isn’t to keep us rigidly on the rails of this visual track but rather to make sure that when we first look at the painting we’ve got visual access to all of its parts.

The colour palettes in those were so intensely saturated, where now there’s a tendency to go dark, greyscale, and faded. It is, as the title says, Tuesday, Tuesday evening to be precise and the frogs are getting just a little restive as the light fades. Tuesday is an almost wordless picture book for children, written and illustrated by American author David Wiesner. On the pretence of doing performance poetry I took my class to the hall where an awful ‘crime’ took place!And also like the book, there's almost no text, instead students can follow the story through the images and music. During David Wiesner's formative years, the last images he saw before closing his eyes at night were the books, rockets, elephant heads, clocks, and magnifying glasses that decorated the wallpaper of his room.

Tuesday, written and illustrated by David Wiesner, is a 1991 wordless picture book published by Clarion Books. Glad I got the library binding as it is very sturdy and will last much longer than a paperback version. How does he take something so simple and ground it enough in reality that I was totally there with him. I guess I’m pretty much alone here: The artwork, as usual, is wonderful, but I found this story slightly creepy. Critical Reviews:Publishers Weekly stated, "Wiesner's visuals are stunning: slightly surrealistic, imbued with mood and mystery, and executed with a seemingly flawless command of palette and perspective.In this one, the only word used (and it's used sparingly) is Tuesday as a reminder that all the events are taking place on a Tuesday night. At 11:21pm, the frogs fly by a man eating a sandwich in his house, he seems very confused to see flying frogs.

Neither the press nor the police know what to make of it the morning after, when the town is strewn with abandoned lilypads.Reminiscent of 1950s science fiction/flying saucer movies, “[the lilypad] became a sort of magic carpet, flying around. Pictures are shared as the narrator takes readers throughout the adventures and shares the story from their point of view of watching the frogs travel different places.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment