276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Space Between Us

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In August 2015, STX Entertainment scheduled the film to be released on July 29, 2016. [12] The release date was later switched with STX's other release, Bad Moms, and was moved its release date later to August 19, 2016. [13] However, Kubo and the Two Strings, Ben-Hur, and War Dogs were all slated for August 19, 2016, and STX Entertainment moved its release date later to December 21, 2016, allowing more time for work on the visual effects. [14] The film's release date was later moved to December 16, 2016, [15] and finally STX Entertainment moved its release date later to February 3, 2017. [16] Box office [ edit ] Ceron, Ella (June 19, 2017). "Teen Choice Awards 2017: See the First Wave of Nominations". Teen Vogue. Archived from the original on June 20, 2017 . Retrieved June 19, 2017. A clever and unusual read … I was on a journey with these characters, and completely transfixed’ Susi Holliday The story comes to a logical conclusion, with a wonderful final sequence in which Bhima unties herself from her anchor of a situation and lightens her emotional burdens, in a magical metaphor. It was quite moving. This is a wonderful book, with moving characters, payload re class and ethnicity in India, a tale with much feeling, nifty book club fodder.

A subtle, elegant analysis of class and power. Umrigar transcends the specifics of two Bombay women and creates a novel that quietly roars against tyranny. Lennox is a troubled teenager with no family. Ava is eight months pregnant and fleeing her abusive husband. Heather is a grieving mother and cancer sufferer. They don’t know each other, but when a meteor streaks over Edinburgh, all three suffer instant, catastrophic strokes... Indien ist anscheinend ein Land, wo man insbesondere als Frau mit unmäßig viel Schmerz und Leid rechnen muss, egal welcher Gesellschaftsschicht man angehört. I really enjoyed this novel, it’s beautifully written, I loved the characters and felt I formed a bond with them by the end if the novel. An easy read but a deeply moving story that readers can identify with on many levels. This author has a real talent for story telling and creates a terrific sense of time and place. I was a slightly disappointed with the ending until I realised that the book does have a sequel and I can happily continue my journey with Bhima. Add all possible social injustices (domestic violence, oppression, alcohol abuse, worker abuse, teen pregnancy, torture by MIL, AIDS through a partner... I hope I didn't forget any)So readable and accessible … I was really rooting for the characters’ Alan Davies on Between the Covers Decide in which part of India you want your book to be based. Make a list of all stereotypes of that location. These will form your ingredients. For today’s recipe, we shall use the city of Mumbai and hence take the ingredients from Mumbai’s local specialties. As for Ava, her journey is as much emotional as it is a literal. Breaking free from a marriage marred by coercive control and a constant threat of violence, and reconnecting with family she though lost is truly moving, portrayed in a way which creates as much anger as it does sympathy. As for Heather, she created a mixture of emotions. At times she seems strong and fully in control, and yet the sense of loss emanates from her and her vulnerability and sadness is always there, just below the surface. Doug Johnstone is a master at manipulating our emotions and he does a brilliant job here. I felt myself willing them to succeed, not only in their quest to help Sandy, but in their personal journey. And the literal journey is fraught with danger, as they are persued not only by Ava's husband but by people who want to take Sandy for their own fortunes. This novel describes the almost lifelong relationship between two women in India who, on the one hand, get so close and become more familiar with each other than any other person, but on the other hand can never overcome the huge gap that exists between them, defined by their different social status.

Dieser Roman beschreibt die fast lebenslange Beziehung zwischen zwei Frauen in Indien, die sich einerseits so nahekommen und so vertraut miteinander werden wie kein anderer Mensch, andererseits aber die durch ihren unterschiedlichen Status definierte riesige Kluft, die zwischen ihnen besteht, nie überwinden können. Johnstone's mesmeric story artfully puts Scotland centre stage in a sci-fi drama that is as much about the smallness of mankind and the importance of kinship … Pay attention, Steven Spielberg! This could be your next film’ Marnie Riches Make sure you incorporate a lot of incorrect language. So your illiterate lead character can know a word like “fornication” but can still use “mens” as the plural of “man”. A doctor can just say “bleddy” instead of “bloody”. The college clerk can have worse English than the vegetable vendor. The Maharashtrian granddaughter can call her mother by the Hindi word “Ma” and her grandmother as “Mama”, even though “Mama” actually means 'maternal uncle' in Marathi and she should have used “Aaji” instead. Use plenty of wrongly spelt “Indian” words to make international readers feel like they are reading something fancy, even if your spellings appear ridiculous to those who know the actual words. Don’t worry about consistency; just mix it up. This motley medley is how you add masala to the story. Correct English is so boring, hai na?One of the things that this book brought up for me --is the reminder that no matter how different two people might be (educated or not -wealthy or poor) -- Set in contemporary Bombay, Umrigar’s second novel ( Bombay Time, 2001) is an affecting portrait of a woman and her maid, whose lives, despite class disparity, are equally heartbreaking. Hannah’s new novel is an homage to the extraordinary courage and endurance of Frenchwomen during World War II. One ordinary afternoon on the Edinburgh beach, a display of lights in the sky, the stranding of a mysterious squid and a series of unexplained strokes suffered by bystanders connect the lives of our three protagonists. Lennox is a teenage boy struggling with his identity and feeling like he doesn’t belong. Ava is heavily pregnant and on the run from an abusive relationship, in search of a new place to call home. Heather has lost all hope of ever finding that feeling of home again, after losing her daughter to cancer, and now suffering a terminal diagnosis herself as well. I loved the characters that Doug Johnstone has created, he really gets into their psyche making them relatable and people the reader care about. Lennox, Ava and Heather at first seem very different with no apparent connection apart from seeing lights in the sky and surviving a stroke. However,all three are at a difficult point in their lives; Lennox is sixteen, in a childrens home and being bullied, Ava is eight months pregnant and trying to escape her abusive husband and Heather is suicidal after the loss of her daughter and her diagnosis of terminal cancer. I loved following their stories, how they came together and put total trust in each other in their journey to save Sandy. The most endearing relationship however was between Lennox and Sandy. Sandy seems to understand Lennox and they form a close bond that is beautiful.

Despite being there to witness each other's pain and suffering, Bhima and Serabai will never be close because they are from different classes. Bhima was there to witness Serabai's bruises after the many beatings she suffered at the hand of her husband Feroz. Serabai and Feroz were there when Bhima's husband Gopal was in the hospital after a work-related accident and paid for him to have the best of care. Serabai paid for Bhima's granddaughter Maya's college education. But still Bhima was always treated as nothing more than the servant that she was. She was not allowed to use the same glassware and dishes when she ate at Serabai's house, nor could she sit on any chair or couch. Feroz made sure of this so that servants would know their place and not demand more pay. Serabai continued this tradition even after her husband passed away despite her daughter Dinaz's requests not to.

Rate And Review

The shame of Maya’s pregnancy is mirrored by Sera’s pride in Dinaz’s. Maya has an abortion, with the help of Sera, who had already rewarded Bhima’s care of and loyalty to her and her children by paying for Maya’s education. It finally made sense, the idea that Sandy was plural. We all are. And the human idea of being singular, apart, alone, was a ridiculous way of looking at life."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment