276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Synology 2-Bay DiskStation DS723+ (Diskless)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

One thing NOT covered is that the variation due to PLEX clients. A PC is fine but try to use something like a Roku streamer and enable VOSUB. That simple thing can drain your CPU because Roku cannot handle DVD with VOSUB well so it must get transcoded. Actual maximum storage pool and volume sizes depend on drive sizes used, the number of drive bays available, and the RAID configuration. Synology’s managers are smoking the wrong pot, from an Stellar loved brand NAS, it becomes disgusting and a problem for those that rely on legacy Synology units, not few people are delaying to upgrade until Synology stepdown all those idiotic “premium” policies, theyre wrong from the moment they think they where the Apple of Nas Appliances.

Unlike previous models where one of the memory modules were soldered onto the mainboard, the DS723+ allows for all modules to be upgraded. The unit can be upgraded to a whopping 32GB of memory if you ever had the need to and allows for a great degree of expandability in terms of running applications on the NAS. The performance of the mail system will slightly decrease in high-availability mode due to data synchronization between the two servers. Actual maximum storage pool and volume sizes vary depending on drives used, the number of drive bays available, and the RAID configuration. Make the most of high-performance networking and file access without taking up unnecessary space. DS723+ comes equipped with 2 bays and can scale up to 7 bays with the DX517 expansion unit as your data needs grow. You never mentioned power consumption (i dont think?). When compared to the ds720, which is best on purely power usage over a 24/7 period? I am looking at a 2 bay solely to run my ip cameras 24/7. My 1821 would do everything else. So I’m happy to get the 723 (as the newer unit) if power consumption between the two is negligible.

There is no avoiding that the CPU choice inside the Synology DS723+ NAS is going to split opinion the tiniest bit. Until now, this 2/7-bay expandable product family has been exclusively Intel-based and integrated graphics equipped (Celeron, with a brief dance with Pentiums in 2016) which all benefited from particularly good multimedia & graphical handling when it comes to server-side transcoding/conversions, especially with more complicated and dense media formats such as HEVC/H.265. This is why the DS720+ (and DS718+ and DS716+ predecessors) were so popular for use as a Plex Media Server, Synology Video Station, Surveillance Station and even Virtual Machine deployment. The new Synology DS723+ NAS on the other hand is the latest system that has jumped ship from Intel over to AMD, with the DS723+ being built on AMD architecture, with a Ryzen Embedded Dual Core R1600 processsor. Now, it is worth highlighting that the R1600 IS a very good CPU. It is the same processor that is in the DS1522+, which we demonstrated could saturate 10GbE in a RAID 5 (more on this later) and also the DS1522+ NAS performs well in Plex at 1080p and native (non transcoded/convereted) 4K too, so the switch by Synology from an Intel to this AMD is not without merit. Before we dig deeper though, let’s discuss the specifications that we know about the DS1522+ NAS, alongside educated guesses we can make that are based on the CPU, product family and Synology’s past with the diskstation series: I did prepared 32 gb ddr4 Kingston (2×16 Gb), with 2 x 1Tb Samsung 980, for pool storage, 4 x 8 TB Seagate and 1 x 16 Tb Toshiba. Great emphasis has been placed to ensure passive cooling of the DS723+ as you’d notice there’s air vents on every side of the external enclosure to provide the best efficiency for the rear cooling fan. Given that these units are meant to run 24×7 the correct chassis design is very important to get right which Synology have done well here.

Credit is provided by Novuna Personal Finance, a trading style of Mitsubishi HC Capital (UK) PLC, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register no. 704348. The register can be accessed through http://www.fca.org.ukStrictly Synology-approved SSDs: the Synology SNV3410 (presently available in 400GB and 800GB) is the only supported drive. I was surprised at how highly you two spoke of the arm processors in the 223j. My first nas was a 220j and it was terribly underwhelming in performance. Maybe it was the 512MB of Ram, but it absolutely failed miserably when I tried running multiple applications especially when I was uploading photos and videos from my phone to photo station would make the system completely unusable for anything else as it tried to process the files and index them. I tolerated it for a few months then upgraded to the DS920+ and I LOVE it. It does everything I ask of it with ease. It's clear that Synology is prioritizing the use of its own HAT5300 series of hard drives on its NAS models, but for most home users eyeing the DS723+, this will not be a huge issue. And having said that, you can use a 20TB IronWolf Pro with the NAS just fine; the only caveat is that should something go wrong, the brand will not provide technical assistance. I bought DS923+ a month ago as a replacement for my aging DS414 and couldn’t be happier with it. All I need is a fast and reliable file server. With 10GbE add on card I can access the volumes as if they are internal PC drives. And I work in VFX business so I’m hitting my NAS hard all day. Couldn’t care less about the plex (which is fine with H264). I don’t understand what the fuss is all about. This is NOT a product for home users wanting a media server. This is a fast business file server. And it just works. Set it and forget it. And what all that QNAP OS crap I wouldn’t touch it if they were free.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment