Magento Forum - UK Magento Forum (Unofficial)

An unofficial but dedicated Magento Forum for Magento Users, Designers and Developers

BEGINNERS QUESTION

New members, introduce yourselves here...

BEGINNERS QUESTION

Postby generalfranko » Thu May 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi I am new to web design but would like to open an online store. I bought a beginners guide to Magento and had intended to work my way through the book at my own pace until I had grasped the fundamentals of basic Magento editing etc.

The first chapter details how to download Magento and then immediately upload my store onto my host server. This rang alam bells as I had hoped to go live when store design was complete. This looks like putting the cart before the horse and going live before any design ghhas been completed. Does this mean that my as yet unconfigured store is then suddenly live on the world wide web before it has even been completed?

Is it the case that the store will only become searchable to people at a time of your choosing after design has been completed?

Can anyone advise? Much appreciated,
:roll:
Frank
generalfranko

Re: BEGINNERS QUESTION

Postby Dx3Webs » Fri May 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi there.. here is the blog post we prepared earlier...

http://dx3webs.com/front/2011/01/how-to ... e-but-you/
Dx3webs
UK based Optimised Magento Managed Hosting : Full Managed service with Unlimited technical support
Contact Us | Dx3webs Magento Demo Store
Dx3Webs

Postby generalfranko » Mon May 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Many thanks for the guidance but would that maintenance.flag appear to Google as a website that has gone offline and hence result in you getting a negative page rank penalty from the outset?

Sorry if these seem like daft questions but I am a raw beginner!

Many thanks for your patience,

Frank
generalfranko

Postby edmondscommerce » Mon May 09, 2011 5:50 pm

We would generally throw a htaccess password in front of any site that is in development which is a brick wall to search engine spiders.

Check this out for an easy generator:

http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/password/
edmondscommerce

Return to Welcome to the Unofficial Magento Forum