276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Time Travelling with a Hamster

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Al (short for Albert Einstein Hawking Chaudhury) lives with his mother, his step-dad Steve, his half-sister Carly and his amazing Grandpa Byron. His grandpa has an incredible talent for being able to remember anything and everything! I've just finished this book and I've been left with that weird empty feeling you get when you've just experienced something amazing and know that, somehow, it's going to change you. For readers who loved Wonder and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time this extraordinary debut will make you laugh and cry. Don’t worry: it’s not written in dialect. It’s perfectly comprehensible as it is, with only a few hints at the accent in the text. But if you do know what the Geordie accent sounds like, you might enjoy the book even more!)

What follows is how Al follows his father’s instructions to try to carry out something that seems impossible. Al’s father died four years ago when Al was only eight and so it is not easy to carry out his instructions; for example, Al has to return to his old house, which is ten miles away. For things have moved on and Al’s mother has a new man in her life. Can Al change the world – his world at least? As a lifelong magic-nerd, I was thrilled when, in 2019, I was admitted as a member of The Magic Circle. Georgie Docwra, age 10- 'I really enjoyed reading Time Travelling with a Hamsteras it is a very funny book, which made me laugh out loud.' There you go, matey!” I say, and I even move my head and pretend to follow his movements. As casually as I can, I say, “I’m just going to the toilet,” and I sort of stroll out of the kitchen, dead natural, down the hallway and into the downstairs loo. I have only got, I figure, about two minutes, probably less. Here is what is going to happen in the kitchen. Fat police lady is” Choose one moment in every day that is worth cherishing. Welcome that moment into your Memory Palace, nurture it always, and it will never leave you.”En cuanto a los personajes, todos y cada uno de ellos están muy bien desarrollados, siendo todos muy tiernos y dulces. Al, nuestro protagonista, es un chico que tiene pocos amigos y una personalidad algo reservada, pero sin duda es uno de los que más evoluciona a lo largo del libro, desarrollando una personalidad más fuerte y con una mayor confianza en sí mismo. Por otra parte, nos encontraremos con uno de los abuelos más entrañables de la literatura y con el que mejor memoria tiene. I’m going to do it. I’m going to follow my dad’s instructions, and travel in time. I’m not sure it’s a good idea. I’m still not.” My dad died twice. Once when he was thirty-nine, and again four years later when he was twelve. (He's going to die a third time as well, which seems a bit rough on him, but I can't help that.) you know the way?” We walk up the alleyway from the seafront toward Chesterton Road, past the jungle of scrubland where the foxes lived, and we look at the house from across the road. All the time I’m thinking about how I’m going to get into the cellar” The whole story is centered around the boy and his grandfather's relationship through good times and bad times. They both had a strong bond of friendship and trust and is arrested by the author with lots of deep, heart-felt emotions.

Grandpa Byron's eyes move left and right as he chooses his words. "I tried to. But I think I left it a bit late with your dad. He preferred computers to his own imagination." He looks at me, a bit sadly, I think. "A lot of people do these days.” Okay, color me impressed! You've heard me praise the wonders of Middle Grade fiction and its wonderful authors many a time, and yet it never fails to stun me how much goodness comes out of the books written for this age group. Ross Welford has penned a gem here. Time Traveling With A Hamster simultaneously pulls together the importance of family, the grey areas we face when making hard decisions, the beauty (and issues) associated with being passionate about something, and even owning up to ones own mistakes. I am so thrilled to have read this, and can't recommend it enough! Shortlisted for the Blue Peter Book Award 2017 - Best Story | Shortlisted for the Costa Book Awards, Children's Book category, 2016 | One of our Books of the Year 2016 | Shortlisted for the UKLA 2017 Book Award and Shortlisted for The Branford Boase Award 2016. January 2016 Debut of the Month

The Kid Who Came From Space

Al is, to put it mildly, something of a eccentric character. His curiosity is limitless, and we get to travel with him on the most amazing journey. Now, let me put out there that there are actually a fair amount of high end concepts in this book. As a reader who believes fully in not talking down to young readers, I was smitten with this. Al Chadhury's father was a brilliant man. One who wasn't afraid to dabble in science and theory, ultimately leading to his discovery of time travel. Through Al's travels in time, and the letters his father left behind, he learns so much about everything his dad was passionate about. There are brilliant descriptions of the theory of relativity, and examples that actually make it palatable for young minds. There's even discussions of memory devices. Suffice it to say, I was blown away by the sheer amount of lessons in here. I AM. IN. LOVE. This is officially the best cover buy I ever made, I saw this book in my local bookstore, never heard of it before, the cover was so catchy and I looked up and saw this:

Non-Brits often have trouble understanding Geordie. It’s said that the singer Cheryl Cole was dropped from the US edition of The X-Factor because audiences had trouble with her accent. He first started writing his debut novel, Time Travelling With A Hamster, in 2014. It was published in 2016 and was shortlisted for the Costa, [3] Blue Peter, [4] Waterstones, [5] and Branford Boase Awards. [6] There’s a bit of the Geordie dialect in all of my books. I thought it would be helpful for some readers – especially non-Brits – to get an idea of how this actually sounds.

Only one Geordie word was changed for the US edition, and that was “ha’way”. Ha’way, or “howay” is heard everywhere in the northeast of England, and means simply “come on”. All the ha’ways in the US book were replaced with “come on”. Welford was born in Cullercoats, a small seaside town in the north-east of England. He attended Marden High School and studied English at Leeds University before becoming a magazine journalist and then a television producer. [1] [2] Career [ edit ] Al soon discovers that time travel requires daring and imagination. It also requires lies, theft, setting his school on fire and ignoring philosophical advice from Grandpa Byron. All without losing his pet hamster, Alan Shearer... Lambert, Andrew (7 February 2018). "Children's author Ross Welford says too few books set in the North East". NEWSMAKER PR AND VIDEO PRODUCTION LTD . Retrieved 21 September 2022.

Actually, what he said was that he thought it was 'stupendously unlikely'. That's what he used to say about things that he thought weren't real, but couldn't prove. Stupendously unlikely. It's a cool phrase.” Jenna Welch, age 11- 'This book really creates a life-like gripping atmosphere whilst you read it. Welford spins a truly good yarn with brilliant characterisation throughout the book. Great for pet lovers.' Anastasia Abdian, age 11- ' Time Travelling With a Hamsteris a fantastic book. You will laugh and cry as you read about Al Chaudhury's adventure to prevent an accident and save his father. You must read this amazing novel.' I was born in Cullercoats, a small seaside town in the north east of England. (It appears in my books as ‘Culvercot’.)Albert Einstein Hawking Chaudhury’s dad was thirty nine years old when he died for the first time and twelve when he died for the second time. The former happened due to a dislodged piece of metal that caused brain haemorrhage, a leftover from of an accident he had when he was a kid. I first becameinterested in magic at the age of six when I was given amagic set by my Gran forChristmas. I loved watching magic on TV and when I was a TV producer I made“Max Magic” for Sky TV, starring Max Somerset. Buy from our bookstore and 25% of the cover price will be given to a school of your choice to buy more books. *15% of eBooks. Home >

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment